PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank draw problem

Muldoon
05-12-2008, 11:14 PM
I just had the motor for my 78 bahner rebuilt. It was running great until a point. We found that when we clamped the fuel line from the right tank it solved the problem. The carb was not staying primed.
How difficult is it to replace the draw from the tank? What is the best way to go about getting the part and installation?
I just got the boat back after a year and half without it. Now this:mad:
We will not be not getting very far on a single 9gallon tank!:(
Thank You in advance!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45624&d=1210663253

Wet Dream
05-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Stainless, aluminum or glass tanks? Top draw or gravity? Could be cracked, separated or blocked tube. Top draw, remove tank, cut out tube, fab up a new tube and larger cover plate and weld.

Muldoon
05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
I believe it is a stainless tank with a top draw.
Is it difficult to change out tubes? I have zero prior experience with this type of thing. All my knowledge is in dirtbikes

jetboatperformance
05-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Muldoon problems like these are easy to resolve ,Its been my experience that dual tanks seldom "draw at the same rate ,also there are some inherent problems with the pickup tubes as well please feel free to call if I can help you diagnose this (805 466 4719) Theres often times ways to repair the pickups without tearing out the tanks Tom

'76Southwind
05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree with jet boat perf. dual tanks don't draw at the same rate. I plumbed mine 2 into 1. Now they draw pretty much equally. I know this doesn't solve your problem, just my 2 cents.

ParkerSteve
05-17-2008, 08:29 AM
I encountered the same prob on recently aquired 1980 Bahner. I installed valve to control draw. (right,left,both) but found one tank not vented, causing problem. replaced gas caps. good luck Steve

Classic Daycruiser
05-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Why do you think its the pickup tube? Have you ruled out the fuel pump? I have seen fuel lines (although not dripping fuel) loose there seal.
I like to use a product called "Fuel Lube" on all my fuel line connections. I believe "Aircraft Spruce" carries the product. It only takes a very small leak to induce air in your fuel lines.:eek: