PDA

View Full Version : Paint or gel? What do you think?

Striker27
03-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Well I am about finished with my Glastron CVX 20, but it needs some work on the deck. The gold metal flake gel is cracked in quite a few places plus their is some dock rash and I dont know what to do. The hull looks brand new though so I was thinking just redoing the deck with some metal flake and flames in a contrasting color. What I would like to know is it a pain to do gel coat or should I just paint it?? What is easier to do guys? Plus if I do paint it or gel coat it,do I have to sand off all that darn gold metal flake??
THANX

77charger
03-07-2003, 03:47 PM
My last boat was painted it looked good when new but paint chips alot easier and you have to be anal to keep it looking good.If i had to do over again gel would be the way

scorpionking
03-07-2003, 04:07 PM
paint it.......

HammerDown
03-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Paint won't take the beating Gel can...but the depth in a quality paint job is second to none.

1Bahnerjet
03-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Paint or Gel.....Paint or Gel, I've wondered about that myself. Alot of V-Drive & Jet Hot Boats have been custom painted, There is an expert on the subject of custom painting on the V-Drive Boards. I wonder what his spin on the subject would be?
:confused:
--------------
Drive What You Own And Like What You Drive
[ March 07, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: 1Bahnerjet ]

JetBoatRich
03-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Painted my last boat, could scratched just looking at it. I felt it is harder to take care of because of this.

DUCKY
03-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Gel is what belongs on the boat, and gel is eaiser and cheaper to repair down the road if you ding it. Repair what you have or have it re-gelled. You will be glad you did.

SPECTRABRENT
03-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Go with the gel coat.
Brent

Mohavekid
03-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Go Gel if you can.
I painted my last boat, paint looks great but is tougher to keep nice.
It seems like it was a lot easier to chip or scratch the paint too.

DUCKY
03-08-2003, 08:43 PM
1Bahnerjet:
Paint or Gel.....Paint or Gel, I've wondered about that myself. Alot of V-Drive & Jet Hot Boats have been custom painted, There is an expert on the subject of custom painting on the V-Drive Boards. I wonder what his spin on the subject would be?
:confused:
--------------
Drive What You Own And Like What You Drive It's true, there are things you can do in paint that cannot be done with gel. And some v-drive guys have over the top, clean show boats, which don't have neutral, which means they get shut down 30 feet before ths dock (If they ever see a dock) I have had painted boats and gelled boats. If you want to use your boat like a normal person, gel it. It's many times tougher.