PDA

View Full Version : Baja or Fountain

dvrpilot
08-31-2001, 07:55 PM
Trying hard to decide which boat to buy. Can anyone with first hand experience give me an opinion on whether or not to buy a baja 252.Also any thoughts on a Fountain 27 Fever.

25OUTLAW
09-04-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by dvrpilot:
Trying hard to decide which boat to buy. Can anyone with first hand experience give me an opinion on whether or not to buy a baja 252.Also any thoughts on a Fountain 27 Fever.
Just bought a 25 Outlaw a few months ago. The boat would never run as fast as it was supposed to. Got about 57 on GPS with a 502mpi. Contacted Baja Customer Service a few times after the P.O.S. service department ran it with the DDT on the computer and it said nothing was wrong. They told me Mercury wouldnot provide any morefunding for warranty work if nothing appeared wrong. Hello!!! the boat was about 7 mph slow and would only turn the recommended prop at 4400 rpm and nothing is wrong???? Anyway took the boat to a service department that actually cares and they found numerous things wrong some which were errors at the factory. The biggest problem I had is that with all the times I talked to the customer service at Baja they never once bothered to check back with me to see if my brand new 75,000 dollar boat was being fixed. I got the feeling that they thought I would just go away. Well I didn't. I just got theboat back after about 2 months of in and out of the shop and it is finally fixed 65.2mph on gps. I love the design ride and so on of the boat but can't believe at how shi**y the customer service was from such a large corporation. Can't say that I like Fountain too much because they seem to be over priced but they do hold there value. Lots of people in these forums talk about how great sunsation is and the owner or someone else at the factory posts often. Check oot the ***boat hotspots forum for his discussions. I don't know where you live in the country but I would definently shop around and test drive anything you are thinking about investing a significant amount of money into. I really do love my Baja and would recomend it to someone but just make sure that you are getting what you expect prior to taking delivery. If you want to know any more send me an email. Happy ***boat shopping!!!
Larry

dvrpilot
09-04-2001, 08:46 PM
Larry
Sorry you had so many problems so soon after buying your Baja. I would be very annoyed if I were in your shoes. As long as you are happy now then thats cool I live on cedar Creek Lake Outside Dallas, Tx will shop some more thanks for you info
Mark...

Speedy
09-05-2001, 04:05 AM
Hey dvrpilot. Just from my research and friends who own both boats, I would chose the Fountain over the Baja. No disrespect to Baja other than I have two friends who own baja's and they are not happy with their boats. In fact they hate them. I have 3 friends that own fountains and all love them. Baja doesn't seem to have the customer service and attention to detail/quality control that other mfgr's do. I don't know if being owned by the same company that ownes Bayliner has anything to do with it or not?? The 27 fever is a very nice boat. Just my $.02
Speedy

Rocket
09-07-2001, 06:00 AM
Huv you set your mind to the two? Check out the 272 Formula! www.formulaboats.com (http://www.formulaboats.com)

ponponracing
09-07-2001, 09:01 AM
Fountain buddy. Don't make comparisons between those two brands, they are very very very differents boats.

Richard Cranium
09-09-2001, 10:24 AM
I sold a 27' Fever last year. With a Procharged HP 500, it ran over 85 MPH. The boat was solid and safe!
Fountains are really over priced when new. If performance and quality are your concerns you can't compare it to Baja. If bang for the buck is your priority, Baja might not be a bad boat. If you're looking at big power in the boat, a 27' Fever without a step will run with the stepped bottom boats. I had a stepped bottom boat, but a speeds above 75 MPH the step doesn't run on the water. Older 27s that have been taken care of and garage stored could be a bargain! If I were going to purchase my first Fountain, I would skip the 27' and look at 29' boats. The extra bottom will be welcome when running the higher speeds. Don't waste your time with twin engine 29' boats. The weight to HP ratio on those boats wasn't quite right. If you want a twin egine Fountain, look for 32' boats.
Good luck!

sea buddy
09-16-2001, 07:13 PM
TAke a tour of the fountain factory. They do stuff to parts that blows my mind.
Very expensive but that company never makes a decent profit. Too much spendt on r and d.
Public company, records are easy to get. I know, owned that stock for years waiting for them to sell out at a profit. Never did.
Look at profits from boat group of Brunswick. Much bigger %, maybe that is where the customer service dept. went? Just my MHO.

TriSum
09-18-2001, 12:29 PM
Just bought a 33 Baja Outlaw, have had some small problems, but to be expected. I agree with the customer service sucking, although if you go to the dealers themselves they seem to be very willing to help you out, but I am very happy with the boat itself. I don't have any experience with Fountain so I can't help you there. I know for myself I needed a larger boat with a large cockpit and $$$$ was an issue. Couldn't find anything that fit into what I needed better than the Baja. Hope this helps.

BANDIT
09-19-2001, 05:18 PM
i just bought a used 232 bandit. 1991 model with 71 hours and a 502. got a good deal and i love the boat but i can't find any litature on the boat. anybody know anything about the bandits?