PDA

View Full Version : Volvo King Cobra

MACHINEHEAD
05-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Anyone have any HP limits, handling issues, max rpm/max speed. I know its a Volvo, but my next boat purchase ( this week ) depends on it. Need some good info fast. 97' Rapid Craft "Twister" Mod Tunnel 502/King Cobra. 88mph with 415 hp, nuf said!

warlock
05-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Anyone have any HP limits, handling issues, max rpm/max speed. I know its a Volvo, but my next boat purchase ( this week ) depends on it. Need some good info fast. 97' Rapid Craft "Twister" Mod Tunnel 502/King Cobra. 88mph with 415 hp, nuf said!
Thought it was an OMC King Cobra:confused:

MACHINEHEAD
05-20-2008, 03:42 PM
I guess that depends on exactly when Volvos' 50% share of OMC was finalized and when the total aquizition of OMC took place. It was in the mid to late 90's. Looking for good usable info. You know what drive I am talking about warlock. Lets call it the bombardier/can-am/volvo-penta/omc-johnson King Cobra

FOXMAN
05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I would call it the "Bombardier/ Can-Am/Volvo-Penta/OMC-Johnson King Cobra WISH I HAD AT LEAST A BRAVO 1 DRIVE... :D
Just kidding.. I friend of mine has one on the back of his FourWinns.. He is running a hopped up small block chevy with 330 hp. No problems.. I thought he told me it was the same as a regular cobra drive with stronger gears??? I run a 420hp. small block chevy through an Alpha 1!!! I have to be VERY conservative on the throttle out of the hole.. I have heard of guys with over 600 hp. and a King Cobra..
What it comes down to is are you ok with an OMC?? I myself will only have a mercruiser.

warlock
05-21-2008, 06:23 AM
My buddies got one with a 460 in front of it and he hasn't had any issues with it but I can't imagine finding parts for that thing will be too easy...:eek:

MACHINEHEAD
05-22-2008, 03:52 AM
Wish it was a bravo, then I would know something. Big parts like gears and shafts seem to be out there new and used. Not to sure where to get the little wierd stuff if I had to. Just dont break it I guess, thanks for the info