PDA

View Full Version : how to convert from Olds to Chevy?

kcsteck
05-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Ok Im jumpin to the Chevy side from the Olds that bit me for the last time! I understand I need to get the motor mounts for the chevy and bolt into my stringers and all. But do i use the same holes from the Olds Mounts I had?I had the hardin marine 4 way mount for the Olds. is it that easy or more to it with motor angle to the driveshaft etc.just curious..can I do it? I want to!
Casey

cj92345
05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
i know that buick/olds/pontiac have a different bell housing bolt pattern
than what chevy's use..but there's may be adaptors out there to bolt it up.:confused:

OUTLAW HALLETT
05-20-2008, 07:30 PM
I think the best way is to do it is to tear everything out and throw it away, and buy a bunch of new stuff. thats what im doing , it hurts a little at first but you kinda get use to it after a while lol

kcsteck
05-21-2008, 06:49 AM
i know i need to go buy the mounts for a chevy and bolt it to my stringers and all. I was just curious will it bolt up on the same holes in the stringers or do I have to make all new holes etc.If I do have to make new holes do I need to be worried about angle or anything. Do i just bolt motor mounts to block and lower in there and hook up driveshaft make as level as i think looks right then bolt it there to the stringers???is it that easy or more involved etc.
Also will the feet that bolt to the Olds Hardin Marin engine motor plate and bellhousing work on a chevy Hardin Marine engine motor plate and bellhousing?
With so many people always saying throw your olds away and get a chevy..no one in here that has actualy done this will chime in here?
Throw away your olds stuff..thats funny..I just sold all my olds stuff in 3 days and have enought to buy a chevy and then some!!!
I think it spinnin those bearings Sat and me just havin enough of that ....was the best thing to happen to me.
Casey

Wet Dream
05-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Throw money at it. :D.
Seriously, plug Olds holes in stringers with dowel rod. Glass over them and get a rail kit. The Olds holes will be too close to Chevy holes on the fore and aft. Set angle, its easier than you think and bolt up rails. You WILL need flywheel, or flexplate for Chevy and the PTO. I had to change the driveline flange to PTO also. You can get that from a big truck shop. From there, its exhaust.

kcsteck
05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
thanks wet dream. what do you mean the holes will be to close? I have to buy a rail Kit? how much is a rail kit and where do I get it if I have to? I thought could just get the chevy mounts plates like i have for the olds and mount it. are you saying that will not work due to the prior holes. Everyone that does the conversion has to go to rail kit or just what you did?
Casey

Wet Dream
05-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Don't quote me exactly, but the Chevy is 1.5 inches longer than the Olds. Worst case scenario with 4 point mounts, you're new holes are 3/4" from the old ones. Best case, 1 1/2" off, providing the pan clearance to crank centerline are the same. Too close for me on repaired wood. Rail kits can be found used in spam. $150-$200? Ease of installation and ability to slide motor forward and looks sold me on the rail. You can use the standard plates, its a preference.

kcsteck
05-21-2008, 10:52 AM
thanks Wet dream. I totally understand now then.I guess Ill be lookin for a used rail kit then.
thanks for your help Bro.
Casey

ironman44bear
05-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Check your Pm's.. I have new rail kits

jetboatperformance
05-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Casey this is a simple swap ,we've done/assisted dozens over the past years theres no "vodoo" to it ,Happy to help if you need it Tom

OUTLAW HALLETT
05-24-2008, 03:11 PM
i was just kinda kidding when i said through it all away. I actually sold all of my olds stuff , and it helped a lot with the cost of the change . It really isn't too bad doing the swap , I went a little overboard with some things but i do believe the rail kit is the best way to go , i just glassed over the old holes and then laid the rails over it all . the drive line will work for both if you run a pto, you will need a different pto but the drive lines bolt to them all the same . obviously you'll have to move some wiring around and stuff and the pipes are going to carry some good expense , I'm just trying to do one piece at a time . mainly because i can only sneak one or two big purchases a month past the (boat nazzi) my wife lol good luck and i would also like to say that tom @ jet boat performance has always been a big help for parts and knowledge , Ive never actually meet him but Ive probably spent a couple of hours on the phone with him, and he has always bent over backwards to help me, witch I'm sure you know is sometimes a rare thing in this industry any way good luck man and if i can help you with anything please feel free to ask

hkunz
05-24-2008, 03:51 PM
What are people getting for the Olds stuff? I have to yank mine again, blew something this AM, probably clamshelled a rod bearing.
I'll be looking for Edelbrock heads, a new crank, some sort of high rise manifold.

kcsteck
05-24-2008, 06:32 PM
ok im lookin into rail kit from BDS ..need to see some pics first..
anyone have a hardin or Guardian Chevy mount kit out there they not usin?like to explore that option as well?
Got smokin deal on some headers today!!! almost brand new twistie Hooker headers with water lines no blue what so ever . Ran for a couple days is it.Look brand new! 75$$ deal of the year man..
Casey

ironman44bear
05-25-2008, 07:24 AM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45691&stc=1&d=1211728757
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45692&stc=1&d=1211728757
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45693&stc=1&d=1211728757
[img]http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45694&stc=1&d=1211728757

ironman44bear
05-25-2008, 07:26 AM
those are the only pics i have on this computer.

jetboatperformance
05-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks Outlaw !
Casey you will need : mounts ,water in and water out hdwr, A pan with max depth of 7 3/4 in, possibly a drive line (depending on your current) (maybe just a PTO) and exaust, general swap parts cost is around $1250.00 to $1500.00 + or- Tom :D

CARLSON-JET
05-26-2008, 11:04 AM
The only thing I was able to use on my conversion was the Alt. and carb. keep posted and ask questions.

ap67et10
05-31-2008, 10:23 PM
heres my BDS rail kit. great product. thanks again Billy
AP
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/ap67et10/DSC00015.jpg