PDA

View Full Version : Surgery question...............

Lazerray
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm getting my knee "scoped" tomorrow for a torn meniscus. My question is how long is the average recovery time to where I'm pain free and stable enough to return to work? I am an HVAC Mechanic and do a lot of ladder climbing. Anyone been through this?

HalletDave
05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm getting my knee "scoped" tomorrow for a torn meniscus. My question is how long is the average recovery time to where I'm pain free and stable enough to return to work? I am an HVAC Mechanic and do a lot of ladder climbing. Anyone been through this?
It sort of depends on your age, what is your overall physical condition and how rapidly do you heal.
I had the same surgery on my left knee (torn medial meniscus) when I was 46 years old. I was back coaching & doing full sprint workouts with my track athletes in 6 weeks.
Good luck:)

Riomouse911
05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
My second (of three) knee ops was a lateral patella release and meniscus tear repair on the right knee. I was out of commission for about 2 months...(the ligament replacement (#3 of 3) recovery time was about 7 months.
Remember ice is your friend when they get sore and swell up..and good luck!

upsman105
05-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Really depends on what kind of shape you are in... I had that done, also had torn A.C.L., but did not fix that... I am a UPS driver (imagine that) and I was back to work within 2 weeks.... partly because daytime television sucks so bad that I had to go back to work before I went insane...

Jerrys59
05-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Sure got to be better that a totel knee replacment like I had about a year and half ago. All good now though.

pancho
05-23-2008, 04:05 AM
Lazerray,just got an MRI this week and have the same thing,did you have the procedure yet and how did it go?mine happened out of state so now i`m back home and waiting for the records to show and looking for a local surgeon,my work wants me back asap and i`m hearing 3-6 weeks recovery

Lazerray
05-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Lazerray,just got an MRI this week and have the same thing,did you have the procedure yet and how did it go?mine happened out of state so now i`m back home and waiting for the records to show and looking for a local surgeon,my work wants me back asap and i`m hearing 3-6 weeks recovery
Had to postpone surgery due to a problem with my pre-op blood test and haven't rescheduled yet. I'm thinking it will be in another couple of weeks from now.:mad:

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Wife had it done and was back within a few weeks. All depends on the severity of the operation I suppose.

LLGirl
05-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Been there. Two ways to repair the meniscus. One is to cut out the torn part. Recovery is very fast. Be back running around in no time. Second is to stitch the torn part back together. Much longer heal time. Plan on being laid up for a little while if they stitch it.
mrll

redneckgirl
05-23-2008, 08:10 PM
:eek: :eek: Hey LazerRay what is up??? It sure has been a long time!!! Good luck on you surgery! :D :D :)
RNG

Lazerray
05-23-2008, 08:14 PM
:eek: :eek: Hey LazerRay what is up??? It sure has been a long time!!! Good luck on you surgery! :D :D :)
RNG
WOW! How are you guys?! So good to hear from you, it's been a long time! God Bless!:)

pancho
05-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Had to postpone surgery due to a problem with my pre-op blood test and haven't rescheduled yet. I'm thinking it will be in another couple of weeks from now.:mad:
How come a couple of weeks?I am very skeptical of docs nowadays its all about the money it seems my last visit was 15 plus years ago and i dont trust em,i have a very physical job and need to be 100% before i go back.

pancho
05-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Been there. Two ways to repair the meniscus. One is to cut out the torn part. Recovery is very fast. Be back running around in no time. Second is to stitch the torn part back together. Much longer heal time. Plan on being laid up for a little while if they stitch it.
mrll
Recovery is fast and running around in no time how does that equate to being 100% i don't know anyone that has dealt with this so i only have the doctors opinion,mine isn't torn its broken off and they say it has to be removed which makes sense,what kind of time frame to do most of the normal things we do everyday?

Lazerray
05-24-2008, 08:15 PM
How come a couple of weeks?I am very skeptical of docs nowadays its all about the money it seems my last visit was 15 plus years ago and i dont trust em,i have a very physical job and need to be 100% before i go back.
Because I work for the state and they don't want to own an injury that didn't happen on their watch. They wont take me back 'till I'm "repaired".

LASERRAY
06-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Finally got the knee scoped this morning. It only required some meniscus trimming versus a full repair of said meniscus. So this means a shorter recovery time, which is a good thing. I was able to walk right away. Thanks to those of you that gave me their input.;)

pancho
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey laser just had mine this am,walking around the house straight leg and only ibuprofen right now,dont really like painkillers (hydrocodone)if i can avoid it hows the second day? Doc said it was torn and he just cut off 1/2 the split and no need to mend or stitch just prevents future tear at the site