PDA

View Full Version : Holley 4160 Tuning

twowheeledfish
05-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi gang. T'aint it nice to have this forum back up?
Anyway, I just switched from logs to bassett headers and my 460 is obviously flowing a LOT more air. I went from 72 main jets to 80, but only drilled the metering plate to 0.078" to be safe. A test run indicated some lean surging at idle and mid-throttle, and I lost about 100 rpm from my original setup with logs (it would rev up, and drop rpm... lean lean lean). So I had some 83 mains with me, and threw them in. This test run showed worse surging overall. Back to the drawing board...
Tonight I put the 80 mains back in, and drilled the metering plate to 0.110". No test run yet, but I'm hoping this will be the magic combination (and that I didn't drill too much).
Has anybody swithched from logs to basset thru-transom injected headers on a 460 Ford with a 600 cfm Holley 4160??? In the rare event that someone here has, what was the magic setup to make the engine purr?
-fish

twowheeledfish
05-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Update: Boat runs much better now, but its still 200 rpms off from the old setup. Hmmm....
-fish

shaun
05-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Buy the conversion kit and get ride of those metering plates, thats what i did. Once you do that you can install jets in the sec also. I run 70's in pri and sec but i'm running dual carbs.

twowheeledfish
05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Yep, just saw that Summit Racing has the kit. I have some old metering plates lying around, I think I'll waste my time and drill a few more first....lol.
I actually think I went way too big.
-fish