PDA

View Full Version : School Nurse or School Idiot....

topless
03-08-2006, 10:20 AM
So I get a call from the school nurse Monday telling me that my son hurt his wrist and it looks "kind of bad" Since she isn't a doctor, she doesn't know if it's broken or not...............
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6634IMG_0034.JPG
This is after surgery...........
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6634IMG_0040.JPG
I'm just wondering what qualifications people need to be a school nurse.

LAFD
03-08-2006, 10:25 AM
it aint broken just a little swollen.. damn doesnt take a genius to tell thats just a little broken. howd he do it??

OnlyMoney
03-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Sorry to see that girlie...I'm sure he's enjoying the gloating to the nurse thing. I had done that in 3rd grade and the teacher kept saying "no, it's not broken...and then I came in with a cast the next day. :yuk: :rollside:
Oh, and I know of one older school nurse who got the job based on being around kids for a while and nothing else. I don't know if schools have changed their requirements since then, but she still works now with only the 20+ years of school nurse experience under her belt.

topless
03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
They were playing a friendly game of flag football in PE. Some kid tripped him.........He'll be fine. The tylenol with codeine works wonders.

little rowe boat
03-08-2006, 10:41 AM
It's pretty obvious that it is broken but you have to remember only a Doctor can legally make a diagnosis. The nurse probably new but did not want to step out of her scope of practice and possibly get in trouble.

Sleek-Jet
03-08-2006, 10:49 AM
So the Nurse called and told you your son injured his wrist, and I'm assuming you went down and took him to the ER immediatly???
I don't see the problem I guess.
Hope he's on the mend and feeling better all the time.
Sleek <----- broke his wrist once too...

Her454
03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
OUCH, hope he heals quick Alison.......................

MagicMtnDan
03-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Maybe she didn't want to alarm you.
A lot of parents would freak out if they got a call from the school nurse saying their kid was hurt and had a broken wrist (or whatever).
Just be glad it wasn't worse and he will heal completely. Make sure he gets PT from it otherwise he could have issues with it later.

topless
03-08-2006, 11:06 AM
He'll be fine. 5 years ago he broke his other arm just like that. It was both his Ulna and Radius...........both times. I think he was just trying to get out of chores.

Silver
03-08-2006, 11:10 AM
With all the "BUDGET CUTS" going on, they now take mainly volunteers. But I believe that protocol states: only basic first aid skills are required! And CPR cert.
The district nurse visits one day a week to cover any "YOU NEED TO LOOK AT's" (bruises, how dirty, follow ups on lice, etc.).
Realize just how many dumb parents there are out there to begin with. Then society allows them to assume common sense roles that require responsible decisions that they are not capable of making.
Now, need I say just how important it is for "PARENTS" to take part in a child's schooling and be involved in PTA, etc??
Or, how about this one:
Stop electing dumb asses for governors that cut the budgets... And VOTE!!!!!!!!!

YeLLowBoaT
03-08-2006, 11:23 AM
There are still school nurses??????
sorry to here about your son...

Biglue
03-08-2006, 11:30 AM
He'll be fine. 5 years ago he broke his other arm just like that. It was both his Ulna and Radius...........both times. I think he was just trying to get out of chores.
I cant help but laugh at this post Topless. I guess no one is safe from your humor. LOL
Sorry to hear about your boy. Hope he recovers soon. Sure He'll be back to raising hell before you guys know it. In the mean time design some new chores to make him up for slacking off. :D :idea: :wink:

topless
03-08-2006, 11:40 AM
I cant help but laugh at this post Topless. I guess no one is safe from your humor. LOL
Sorry to hear about your boy. Hope he recovers soon. Sure He'll be back to raising hell before you guys know it. In the mean time design some new chores to make him up for slacking off. :D :idea: :wink:Well it is amusing watching him tie his shoes.

Biglue
03-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Well it is amusing watching him tie his shoes.
LMAO. One thing is for sure, he wont grow up with thin skin.

lucky
03-08-2006, 12:25 PM
hope the lil guy feels better
now in regards to the nurse -- Idiot most definatly -- she makes me look smart ... :rolleyes:

Biglue
03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
hope the lil guy feels better
now in regards to the nurse -- Idiot most definatly -- she makes me look smart ... :rolleyes:
Well not if she uses your spelling and grammar. :crossx:

lucky
03-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Well not if she uses your spelling and grammar. :crossx:
like i said ....

OGShocker
03-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Sorry to see that Topless. Look at the bright side. If he would have broken both, you'd be wiping his azz...again..:D

WYRD
03-08-2006, 12:33 PM
School Nurse or School Idiot.... .
Easy there my 1st ex wife is a school nurse.......................wait on second thought carry on :crossx:
Hope he recovers quickly!

roostwear
03-08-2006, 12:39 PM
My son broke both of his wrists and knocked himself out trying to slam dunk in the 8th grade. I got a call from the stupid ass nurse about 2 hours later to tell me my son got hurt at school. I should have sued those dumb asses. His wrists were totally broke and obvious when I picked him up. He was in a lot of pain. This thread brings back some bad memories for me. I hope your son heals quickly Topless :(
Dumb ass school nurses.... barely a step above people that would sue them. :notam:

topless
03-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Dumb ass school nurses.... barely a step above people that would sue them. :notam:
I'll let you know how much I get when I'm done with the lawsuit........ :p

OnlyMoney
03-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Keep posting Topless!! I love watching your siggy run every other post or so... :rollside:

topless
03-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Keep posting Topless!! I love watching your siggy run every other post or so... :rollside:
Shelby, guess who I'm having a drink with after work.

OnlyMoney
03-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Shelby, guess who I'm having a drink with after work.
I have NO idea.... :idea: Really, I don't. Who?

topless
03-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I have NO idea.... :idea: Really, I don't. Who?Scott's brother..........(I'm really just posting so you can see my horse) :crossx:

OnlyMoney
03-08-2006, 01:43 PM
That's cool! I was thinking it would have to be him because that's really the only person near you that I know, but this internet stuff works in strange ways, so I didn't want to assume.
Thanks for the posts!!!

Debbolas
03-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Sorry about your son, Alison, hope he feels better soon.
In our district, we have one certified nurse at the district office.
The women at the school sites are classified aids. They fulfill the duties of the traditional school nurse, but have no formal training.

Windy
03-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Ali...she cant diagnose...it would be out of her scope of practice...geez girl. :rollside:

CA Stu
03-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Your son is OK, that's the important part I reckon.
Lighten up, I'm sure the poor lady has a tough job without parents trying to shit on her.
Thanks
CA Stu

76ANTHONY
03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Scott's brother..........(I'm really just posting so you can see my horse) :crossx:
oh so now your seeing my brother, jesus woman....
sorry about your boy topless, he'll heal just fine im sure, he gots him a good mommy...... :D

Ziggy
03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Ali...she cant diagnose...it would be out of her scope of practice...geez girl. :rollside:
Hope he heals quickly Alison...My daughter broke her wrist a few years back, it mends pretty quick.
School nurses aren't allowed to treat.....not even an aspirin. Band-aides is about the most complicated thing they can do. Remember, we have a sue-happy society that'll blame the nurse for something if she'd touched him.

Silver
03-09-2006, 08:53 AM
How is your son feeling?

ColeTR2
03-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Ouch!!

topless
03-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone. He's fine and I know the school nurse isn't really a nurse anyway but why do they even call her that? When I was growing up we had a real live nurse who even wore a nurses uniform. By looking at his arm, you knew it was broken. She could have said it looks like it might be broken. Last week, my daughter called me from school because she ripped her fingernail almost all the way off and her school nurse at least said that she needed to go to the doctor and have it looked at. She ended up having the entire nail removed. (pretty nasty) Anyway, my point was why call her a nurse if she isn't one?

OnlyMoney
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Glad your boy is doing well....
So, how were the drinks??? :rollside:

topless
03-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Glad your boy is doing well....
So, how were the drinks??? :rollside:
LOL, my son is good. I had 2 Coronas and watched Sean play pool with my boyfriend. Sean just wanted to show off his new car I think. It's a Chrysler 300. Nice car but kinda weird going out with an ex boyfriend and current boyfriend. They got along well at least. I hope they didn't exchange notes while I was in the bathroom. Oh, and he is buying a new house in Henderson that Scott is going to live in.

OnlyMoney
03-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Good deal. I'm sure they did exchange notes. :rollside: Yeah, Scotty needs out of that relationship....STAT! Poor thing. I almost offered to have him over on our anniversary just so he had an excuse to get out of the house. She's not allowed at our place. :mad: :220v:

topless
03-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Good deal. I'm sure they did exchange notes. :rollside: Yeah, Scotty needs out of that relationship....STAT! Poor thing. I almost offered to have him over on our anniversary just so he had an excuse to get out of the house. She's not allowed at our place. :mad: :220v:
Yeah, I heard she turned a little psycho.

lucky
03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
LOL, my son is good. I had 2 Coronas and watched Sean play pool with my boyfriend. Sean just wanted to show off his new car I think. It's a Chrysler 300. Nice car but kinda weird going out with an ex boyfriend and current boyfriend. They got along well at least. I hope they didn't exchange notes while I was in the bathroom. Oh, and he is buying a new house in Henderson that Scott is going to live in.
well at least they have "somthing to talk about " lmao

topless
03-09-2006, 12:01 PM
well at least they have "somthing to talk about " lmao
Hell, I hang out with Derricks ex when he's not around too so I guess it's all fair play. :crossx:

spectratoad
03-09-2006, 12:17 PM
When I was growing up we had a real live nurse who even wore a nurses uniform. By looking at his arm, you knew it was broken.
Unfortunately because everyone wants to sue nowdays that is the result that has been given us.
Glad your son is doing ok. :)