PDA

View Full Version : Keep Getting Water in my Tanks..

dm2bfree
06-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I have an 1981 18' Sleekcraft Jet that sits pretty low to the water and I have a recurring issue of getting water in my gas tanks.
Latest example is I went out to Parker, AZ this last weekend (beautiful out there btw :) I drained my dual side tanks (10 gal each) completely dry before I left and topped them off. I was running on one side and it ran great for a while, then slowly started running a little rougher and rougher until it wanted to die. I went through about 3/4 of the tank when it started acting funny.. I checked the inline filter and there was water. Not quite knowing how it got in there, I switched tanks to my still full other tank. I siphoned the good gas up to the carb and she started right up and went strong.. UNTIL, it got to about 1/2 or 1/4 left of that tank and it again started crappin out, I checked the filter and again, water..
I dont have any fuel line leaks, so water couldn't be getting in fuel from water occasional water in the transom. I have screw down type gas cap, and small vents on the side of my boat. I suspect it's getting in through the vents but don't know for sure.. Has anyone ran across this?
I'm not sure what I can do to stop it, whenever it gets a little rough I'm sure water makes to the side vents. But, I would think they would have check valves or something?? Any ideas?

jetboatperformance
06-09-2008, 07:04 AM
DM2 your right its most likely that the water is coming in thru the side vent ,we see this quite often ,I would switch to a vented cap (lots of options,from 20 bucks up) and simply abandon and plug the side vent I can help you with this and hve some other ideas for you as well to stop this annoyance call or email I f we can help Tom

dm2bfree
06-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys.. I do run a fuel / water separator, but it can't handle the amount that is getting in..
Tom, I'll give you a ring..

bp
06-09-2008, 05:58 PM
i had this same problem all the time with my old blue boat that tom has, so i just move the vent from the side to the top of the gunnel. problem solved.

jetboatperformance
06-09-2008, 07:28 PM
i had this same problem all the time with my old blue boat that tom has, so i just move the vent from the side to the top of the gunnel. problem solved.
Who hoo BPs "Blue boat lives !!
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/V%20tahiti/VTahiti-01.jpg
(sorry for the thread jack) Dm call me I'm sure I can help !

jungledave
06-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I have an 1981 18' Sleekcraft Jet that sits pretty low to the water and I have a recurring issue of getting water in my gas tanks.
Latest example is I went out to Parker, AZ this last weekend (beautiful out there btw :) I drained my dual side tanks (10 gal each) completely dry before I left and topped them off. I was running on one side and it ran great for a while, then slowly started running a little rougher and rougher until it wanted to die. I went through about 3/4 of the tank when it started acting funny.. I checked the inline filter and there was water. Not quite knowing how it got in there, I switched tanks to my still full other tank. I siphoned the good gas up to the carb and she started right up and went strong.. UNTIL, it got to about 1/2 or 1/4 left of that tank and it again started crappin out, I checked the filter and again, water..
I dont have any fuel line leaks, so water couldn't be getting in fuel from water occasional water in the transom. I have screw down type gas cap, and small vents on the side of my boat. I suspect it's getting in through the vents but don't know for sure.. Has anyone ran across this?
I'm not sure what I can do to stop it, whenever it gets a little rough I'm sure water makes to the side vents. But, I would think they would have check valves or something?? Any ideas?I have a 1983 Sleekcraft Kauai that had the same problem, same fuel caps. I blocked the fuel vents and went with vented filler caps. I was also having fuel getting out also.,

bp
06-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Who hoo BPs "Blue boat lives !!
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/V%20tahiti/VTahiti-01.jpg
(sorry for the thread jack) Dm call me I'm sure I can help !
hell tom, it still looks pretty dam good. i bet that flake could be color sanded and cleared, and it would look really bitchin' still. i remember making those numbers and putting them on - can't believe it was trashed like it was. i like what you've done for a seat too...
so, hows it run??

jetboatperformance
06-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Don't know how it runs the sbc is a "bad ass' ,we swapped the Bay jet for a Berk, got rid of the "Water suckin" Belly tank and swapped it for the one in the pic The Fat chick seat is out of a old flatty We'll see in time how it runs , tooooo many boats to test too little time! got 3 or 4 that need to got to the water Tom
(once more sorry for the thread jack ) Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/V%20tahiti/VTahiti-03.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/V%20tahiti/VTahiti-02.jpg

centerhill condor
06-17-2008, 01:41 PM
two words...sea foam. Fuel additive that works great. Good luck.
CC