PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend?

63stevens
03-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Getting ready to finish up my cav. plates. Should I have them anodized or powder painted. Where is a good place to take them here in socal?

GofastRacer
03-08-2006, 04:18 PM
I'd go with the anno myself, Aerodinamics in Gardena talk to Joe or Dave!.. :cool:

steve d
03-08-2006, 05:15 PM
I'd go with the anno myself, Aerodinamics in Gardena talk to Joe or Dave!.. :cool:
Art, you beat me to it....Steve

Morg
03-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Powder coated mine. Very happy with it.
How is the rest of the boat done??

GofastRacer
03-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I just don't like the orange peel and the darker shade at the edges!. But that's just me!..

Morg
03-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Art, You are correct on that deal. But after the plates are installed & all the hardware is on, It is tough to notice.
Tell ya what, we can compare when you come up to CFW for fathers day :) :)

RUSHIN ROULETTE
03-08-2006, 07:16 PM
I like ano myself. It may fade after a while, but it does not add any material thickness.

BIG TIME
03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Without A Doubt...powder Coat!!!!!!!!!!!>.....call Coast Coatings In San Clemente And Ask For James...tell Him The Norcal Boys Sent Ya...you Wont Be Disapointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve d
03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
What I've seen in the past, for example, a nut and washer torqued down so hard that it eventually crushes the powder coat to the point of allowing water underneath and oxidation goes wild---especially in salt water. If allowed to go unchecked it can affect a large area. Other than that, it definately has it's place. My 02....Steve

Highlimit9000
03-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Getting ready to finish up my cav. plates. Should I have them anodized or powder painted. Where is a good place to take them here in socal?
Rick, I had mine clear Anodized at Prime. They came out nice if you into the natural look..John

GofastRacer
03-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Art, You are correct on that deal. But after the plates are installed & all the hardware is on, It is tough to notice.
Tell ya what, we can compare when you come up to CFW for fathers day :) :)
Well gee I don't know about that, lol. But are you sure you want to compare my 14 year old anno to your new powdercoat???.. LOL.. BTW, maybe one of these times I'll make it up there!.. :cool:

GofastRacer
03-08-2006, 08:59 PM
I like ano myself. It may fade after a while, but it does not add any material thickness.
Yep, but to get the anno to last you have to get it "hard" anodized or it will go to shit in no time!..

Morg
03-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Well gee I don't know about that, lol. But are you sure you want to compare my 14 year old anno to your new powdercoat???.. LOL.. BTW, maybe one of these times I'll make it up there!.. :cool:
OK, lets just run a heat, then drink a cold one & bench race

eraser
03-08-2006, 09:17 PM
embee in santa ana does both powder and ano. art you need to drag the hobbit up to cfw!!! If he doesnt make it morg Ill run some laps with you with my turd! or drink beer and bs. 220, 221 whatever it takes!!! :D :D

GofastRacer
03-09-2006, 06:43 AM
If only it wasn't so far away!.. :cry:

GofastRacer
03-09-2006, 06:37 PM
What I've seen in the past, for example, a nut and washer torqued down so hard that it eventually crushes the powder coat to the point of allowing water underneath and oxidation goes wild---especially in salt water. If allowed to go unchecked it can affect a large area. Other than that, it definately has it's place. My 02....Steve
Actually all it takes is the washer to turn while tightening and it will tear up the powdercoating!...

steve d
03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Actually all it takes is the washer to turn while tightening and it will tear up the powdercoating!...
Hmmmmmm

GofastRacer
03-09-2006, 06:49 PM
embee in santa ana does both powder and ano. art you need to drag the hobbit up to cfw!!!
Embee does pretty good work, took a lot of stuff there when I was at McDonnell Douglas!.. To make it worth while making that trip, I would have to bring the "Hobbit" back to life, not the turd that it is at this time in order to........Well I'll leave it at that!... :D :D

steve d
03-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Embee does pretty good work, took a lot of stuff there when I was at McDonnell Douglas!.. To make it worth while making that trip, I would have to bring the "Hobbit" back to life, not the turd that it is at this time in order to........Well I'll leave it at that!... :D :D
If anybody can bring 'er back to life-----you can....Would'nt it be cool!

Morg
03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
My entire deal is all powder coated. I did not have one issue with it. No washer crushing & or twisting of the paint.

GofastRacer
03-09-2006, 08:39 PM
If anybody can bring 'er back to life-----you can....Would'nt it be cool!
Yes it would be and I thought about it, it's only $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!...

GofastRacer
03-09-2006, 08:39 PM
My entire deal is all powder coated. I did not have one issue with it. No washer crushing & or twisting of the paint.
Cool!... :cool:

BIG TIME
03-09-2006, 09:28 PM
www.coastcoatings.com
1-949-492-9037

Schiada76
03-10-2006, 08:10 AM
I just annoed all my formerly polished parts. The only thing I didn't like is the way the v-drive case took the anno, I didn't know that cast AL doesn't anno well.

meaniam
03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
i had bad experince with alumni art in ontario. thats all i want to say

scottys
03-11-2006, 05:03 AM
Did'nt you have to re-drill the holes?Would that have the same results in water getting under the powder coat?

BA Kurtis
03-11-2006, 07:06 AM
All my stuff is powdercoat done by Daytech in Hesperia, they do a cut and buff and it looks great, most all holes do have to be re drilled but still leaves a tight seal no chance of water getting under paint, both anno and powder look great but I think I like powder better just my 2 cents :)