PDA

View Full Version : how and where do you all store your boats?

jboehm
10-02-2003, 07:13 PM
i have mine parked in the back yard and covered with a thin boat cover. i hear just about any boat cover leaks. I HAVE SEEN COVERS FOR OVER $300 THAT STILL SAY "WATER REPELLENT" for that kind of money i want water proof. is it bad for rain water to get to the inside? will it rot the glass? i am considering buying a small car port to cover it, but $$$ is tight. it is too big for the garage.

quiet riot
10-02-2003, 07:33 PM
jboehm, not sure what climate you have to deal with, but you really don't want long term storage with a waterproof cover. It tends to trap moisture and promote mold, smells, etc. If you don't have to deal with snow, a thin breathable boat cover (sounds like you have one) and a cheap carport (rain cover elevated above the boat) is a good option if it can't be put under permanent storage.
If you're in a drier climate, a descent water repellent cover works ok, but you should still uncover it every so often in fair weather to air it out. supports under the cover to prevent water/snow from pooling up are a big plus if not under some kinda hard roof.
Even a good ez-up cover above the boat (securely fastened to the ground or trailer) will help greatly, although its hard on the pop-up covers for long term usage. I've just seen a lot of expensive repairs at the marina I worked at related to everything from structural rotting of the boat to corroded hardware and wiring that are much more costly than a $500 carport.
my .02
jd
PS. always tilt the front of the boat up and remove the drain plug to allow any condensation or water leakage to drain and not sit stagnate (sp?) in the bottom of the boat.

HammerDown
10-02-2003, 07:34 PM
I have a SunBrella cover...however it dose let water through. For the winter (outside back yard), With the sunbrella cover that prevents scratches I also use a 14x12 Blue Tarp with a black plastic underliner from HomeDepot. Give it a good coat of polish and wax, winterize the engine, spray the whole motor and Headers with wd-40 and wrap it up snug with the tarp...the Boat looks as good as the day I put it to bed for the winter...some 7-8 months later.
PS. never any mold, mildew or rot. Doing it like this for 7 seasons.
[ October 02, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

quiet riot
10-02-2003, 07:40 PM
And what Hammerdown says works in descent climates, but here in the northwest with the really wet winters, moisture always seems to find its way in, unless you do a REALLY GOOD job of sealing it up.
jd

fourspeednup
10-02-2003, 07:41 PM
I'm not exactly the expert on boat storage but I'll give you my method.
I've got a good cover on my brendella jet and I use some pvc to support it up and prevent pools of water from forming when it rains. Make sure the drain plug is out and lift the front of the trailer so the bow is higher. This way if any water does find its way in it will collect in the bilge and drain out the back. It is a boat after all, it's designed with this in mind. If you can, take out the cushions because the upholstery would probably be the first to go.
I'm sure there are many different ideas but this has worked for me so far.

fourspeednup
10-02-2003, 07:43 PM
I guess I should go back next time before I click submit to see if what I have has already been said.....oops.....

77charger
10-02-2003, 07:45 PM
back yard under a 10x20 canopy that is backed up to my gargage and covered on two sides.Also cut the poles about 1.5ft shorter to lower it.Boat also has a cover on it too.So far i am happy with it

JetBoatRich
10-02-2003, 07:49 PM
In the garage, takes up two spots. Glad we have a three cat garage. Hate parking the truck outside, but won't fit inside anyways.

quiet riot
10-02-2003, 08:04 PM
or you can try and find three doors like the ones you see behind this boat that go back 45 ft!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1036boat4.jpg
I think there was a kitchen and some other stuff attached to this garage when I bought it, but I don't remember! :D wink :D wink

HammerDown
10-02-2003, 08:41 PM
quiet riot:
And what Hammerdown says works in descent climates, but here in the northwest with the really wet winters, moisture always seems to find its way in, unless you do a REALLY GOOD job of sealing it up.
jd Im in the East Coast, Philly Pa. area...and over 5' of snow last winter + way tooo much rain, sleet. True my stuffs ready for anything when it comes. Dry as a bone.

Kindsvater Flat
10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
I keep mine in the tool shed. And yes it has been cleaned out since this picture.
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/shop1.jpg
[ October 02, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Kindsvater Flat ]

HammerDown
10-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
I keep mine in the tool shed. And yes it has been cleaned out since this picture.
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/shop1.jpg Dammmmm, thats the hook up! eek! :D

quiet riot
10-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Hammerdown, good to see ya taken good care of yer rig. I'm living close to Portland, Or now and we average about 50 inches of rain a year! If its covered properly like yours then it works great. Just seen way too many blue tarps that people put over their factory covers that rip in the wind and don't fully cover it and they end up with a mess in the spring. Like everything, its what ya put into it. Thats why lazy people like me bought a nice garage instead of a nice house. :rolleyes:
jd

Kindsvater Flat
10-02-2003, 08:56 PM
BTW thats 1 of 3 shops on our place. Also have a 10k sq ft barn. Lots of storage but mostly used for farm equipment in the winter. Only one shop has a heater and thats the one I'm in.

quiet riot
10-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Kindsavar, Thats the type of setup I'm trying to get into. This coutry bumpkin in tired of being cramped in the suburbs of a town. I grew up in a town of 13 people in Idaho.
jd

Moneypitt
10-02-2003, 10:00 PM
KF,are you showing off your shops/barn again?? Boy, some peoples kids.........Moneypitt

572Daytona
10-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Summer, Spring and Fall Storage:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/368Dscn0685e.jpg
Winter Storage:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/368Dscn7783e.jpg

Doug H.
10-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Check this out guys, when i had a open engine (no hatch) i put a heater blanket for a bed around the engine and turn it on at night, i was deathly scared of a freezing block :rolleyes: also put tire covers on and jacked up the trailer with jack stands so i wouldn't have flat spots on tires, this worked for me for 3 seasons. :)

Aluminum Squirt
10-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Buy a whitewater boat and boat all year-Aluminum Squirt

Cas
10-03-2003, 07:14 AM
My boats sit outside covered up with the breathable covers they sell at Walmart. Since they really don't do what they say in regards to allowing the condensation out, I put a couple of open bags of cat litter or charcoal under the cover. Either one of those work really well to soak up any condensation that will occur.
One word of caution though, do not put either of them on a metal cookie sheet as the metal will sweat and ruin your carpet.
Another word of caution, make sure the cover is on real tight if you use cat litter!

Back Forty
10-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Mine goes into the back building with a cover. 50/50 antifreeze into the block and out of the manifolds. I drain the oil cooler because it doesn't see any of the antifreeze. Oil change including the pump. So far I have always left the tank near empty each time but this year I might fill it and run stabilizer. I usually open all of the seat bins so that the wood in the seats stay aired out. Either way it's not getting put away until after the 19th of this month at an earliest!!!
Oh ya, I empty the seat bins of all lines and stuff so that stuff doesn't hold moisture.
[ October 03, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Back Forty ]

bilgewiper
10-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Mine spends Nov-Feb in a 10X20 plastic garage that I bought from Costco. Boat cover on, with a 60w light bulb burning under cover. No moisture, and I don't worry about freezing with the light bulb on in N.Ca. The rest of the time it sits in the Sacramento river at a marina.

Jbb
10-03-2003, 02:33 PM
In Here...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0003-med.JPG

572Daytona
10-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Looks like it is time for the fall weed and feed there JBB, grass is looking just a mite shabby wink

F N Fast
10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Side of Garage, behind RV gate. 20x8 tarp cover over metal tubular frame from Home Depot. Less than $200. Covers 95% of the boat keeps the rain out nicely.

Banshee
10-04-2003, 06:21 AM
572 Daytona that floating dock looks awesome!
I would love to build/buy something like that. How does the lift work? From the pic it looks like there are two pontoons under it? PM or email me if you don't want to hijack this thread.

572Daytona
10-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Banshee, the lift is basically a couple of poly pontoons with a galvanized steel frame with swing arms attached to the dock. There is a valve you open that floods the pontoons with water which causes it to sink. It is raised by what I understand to be essentially a vacuum cleaner motor that pumps air back into the pontoons. It takes about 4-5 minutes to fully raise or lower it. They are great to have as they keep the bottom of the boat free from algea and so you don't take damage or sink from the damn wake board boat waves. Here is a website of one of the makers of the lifts, mine is made by someone else, I can't remember off the top of my head:
http://www.boatlift.com/
The dock is all aluminum including the decking which is great for maintenance, no staining or replacing rotted wood needed. I just have to pressure wash it every now and then. It is made by Flotation systems inc and I think you can buy a kit with the parts and assemble it yourself if you are so inclined. They make a ton of different configurations, here is their website: http://www.aluminumboatdocks.com/

Heatseeker
10-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Both my boats are in my driveway year round :( . I do like fourspeed, build little pvc tee pees under the covers. I store the interior in my shed and tie the covers down tight. Once a month or so, on a clear day, I'll peel them open for a little sun.
A neat trick oldrigger taught me, to save your floor from rotting:
Drill 1" plug holes in the small bulkhead in the bilge area and in the foward bulkhead(if you have one). Always run with the plugs in, but pull them out for storage. This allows the underside of the wood to get some ventilation. You would be surprised at how much water can accumulate under there.
And the standard nose up with out the plug...

Banshee
10-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks 572. I was at those sites. Especially the boatlift site. I have never seen a lift like that. Only the motorized ones.

riverbound
10-04-2003, 08:08 PM
keep mine in the garage. two car garage but the back side of my garage has an 8 ft roll up so part of my boat sticks through used to keep it completely in the garage taking up both sides but I got a new air hockey table and am in th process of building a bar in the garage so the boat had to move over.

Jet City
10-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Mine is kept in the garage, I have a double car garage that is 26' deep, I have put 9' doors in place of the original 8 footers. Not to shabby, but my next house will have enough land for a shop like Kindsvater Flat has. It would be nice to have enough room to keep my jetboat and project car while still having room to service daily drivers, with space left for machining, welding and assembly, etc.

jerry billet
10-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Maybe its spoiled,but I keep her in an enclosed race trailer, and parked in the whse. Its a wine whse. in Napa. Temp and humidity controlled. Business picks up by March and I have to take her out, paying customers come first.
Jerry

jerry billet
10-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Maybe its spoiled,but I keep her in an enclosed race trailer, and parked in the whse. Its a wine whse. in Napa. Temp and humidity controlled. Business picks up by March and I have to take her out, paying customers come first.
Jerry

565edge
10-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Hey jerry i was pitted right by the out ramp last race and you had a close call on your last race.Very close.

littleC
10-07-2003, 04:03 PM
I was told to put Thompsons Water Seal on a boat cover once a year and that will make it water proof. Never tried it though

Mandelon
10-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Would something like this work in your area?
http://www.carportsusa.com/images/products/large/PP022.jpg
I got one at Price Club / Costco for $150.

jerry billet
10-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Hey 565 Edge. If you add the Reaction time and ET he beat me by .001. What a heartbreaker. My valve spring were going out on me and I lost 100 rpm at each pass. But all is better now.

Tee
10-09-2003, 06:43 AM
Cas:
Another word of caution, make sure the cover is on real tight if you use cat litter! Now thats funny!!!

moneysucker
10-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Cas:
One word of caution though, do not put either of them on a metal cookie sheet as the metal will sweat and ruin your carpet.
Another word of caution, make sure the cover is on real tight if you use cat litter! Both from experience I guess. Put a nice bowl of antifreeze in there for any cats who do use the cat litter and get thirsty. It will be the last time they go into a boat.

jboehm
10-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Mandelon:
Would something like this work in your area?
http://www.carportsusa.com/images/products/large/PP022.jpg
I got one at Price Club / Costco for $150. that would work, but the home owners association would hate it. i am suprised they have not thrown me out about backing the boat through the yard to park it in the back.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
10-11-2003, 08:27 AM
WELL HERES MY $.02. I KEEP MY BOAT BY MY GARAGE. PUT GASOLINE STABILIZER IN THE GAS TANK,RUN THE ENGINE AND PUT 4 OUNCES OF MARVAL MYSTERY OIL DOWN THE CARB(OR EFI INTAKE). IN 1 MINUTE WHEN THE EXHAUST REALLY STARTS SMOKING SHUT THE BOAT OFF. THIS KEEPS THE INSIDE OF THE ENGINE LUBED FOR THE DURATION, AND ALSO PULLS THE STABILIZER INTO THE CARB WHERE IT DOES A LOT BETTER. AFTER THIS MAKE UP A WATER CONNECTOR AND POUR -100 NON TOX THRU THE ENGINE TILL IT COMES OUT NICE AND PINK OUT THE EXGAUST(PLUG UP THE WATER INLET FROM THE PUMP). NOW USE A WHOLE BIG CAN OF MARINE CRC 5-56 TO COVER THE ENGINE WITH AN OIL FILM. FIGURE OUT A COVER FOR THE BOAT WHICH ISN'T HARD TO REMOVE WHEN THE SUN IS OUT TO KEEP THINGS DRY INSIDE. WE DO IT EVERY YEAR AT THE MARINA AND IT WORKS WELL...BILL.