PDA

View Full Version : help me remove yellow tint from my o4 genesis gelcoat

chad
06-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Anyone out there have this problem ? My boat's gelcoat has a yellow color in it.It may be from using carnuba wax,I dont really know though.any suggestions on what would take them out.

justfloatn
06-16-2008, 07:40 AM
A mild rubbing compound should work. Mguires gel coat color restorer works good then follow with a polimer protectant. NO WAX!! I have used NuFinish for over 10years on three diferent boats and never had a discoloring or oxidization issue.

Trash
06-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Chad,
You need this stuff called FSR (fiberglass stain remover). It's a gel like substance which is blue in color. It costs about $8-10 for a jar. Apply with a wet sponge and hose off. It is virtually instantaneous. Perform you usual wax job after that.

chad
06-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Chad,
You need this stuff called FSR (fiberglass stain remover). It's a gel like substance which is blue in color. It costs about $8-10 for a jar. Apply with a wet sponge and hose off. It is virtually instantaneous. Perform you usual wax job after that. thanks for the info, where can I get this stuff at? I live in rancho cucamonga ca.:)

SOCALDETAIL1
06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
thanks for the info, where can I get this stuff at? I live in rancho cucamonga ca.:)
West Marine, If those steps do not remove it, then you are looking at wetsanding it, Give me a call if you have any questions. Mark 562-544-4732

slimShady
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Good luck with your gelcoat.
Have you ever taken you boat to Genesis for service?
This is no joke.
I dropped my boat off with Joel @ Genesis a few weeks ago for service.
I very unhappy with the condition of the boat when I picked it up.
AND THEN...I go to fuel it up on Saturday morning and the tank is completely empty!
The boat had over 1/2 tank when it was dropped off.
This could not have happened any other place because it is in my locked garage at all times.

SOCALDETAIL1
06-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Anyone out there have this problem ? My boat's gelcoat has a yellow color in it.It may be from using carnuba wax,I dont really know though.any suggestions on what would take them out.
People tend to be in denial over this happening, But I have seen it alot this past year :( Check out this thread http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/showthread.php?t=9667&highlight=yellowing

Oldschool427
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
On my 1975 Campbell.
Color sanding. 1st with 2000 grit then 1500 and finish off with 1000. Keep it wet with lots of soapy water. Polishing compound with a good heavy duty buffer. Then a good wax with the same buffer. Mine came out like new. Took me about six weeks last winter. Remove as much hardware as you can.

SOCALDETAIL1
06-17-2008, 08:28 PM
On my 1975 Campbell.
Color sanding. 1st with 2000 grit then 1500 and finish off with 1000. Keep it wet with lots of soapy water. Polishing compound with a good heavy duty buffer. Then a good wax with the same buffer. Mine came out like new. Took me about six weeks last winter. Remove as much hardware as you can.
I think you have the grits backwards but thats the right way.

Nord
06-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm reading this thread and I'm confused. Mark you say there is a way to take out the yellowing? I thought it was "bad gel". Your saying it product?

SOCALDETAIL1
06-18-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm reading this thread and I'm confused. Mark you say there is a way to take out the yellowing? I thought it was "bad gel". Your saying it product?
Nord, some mfgs, in the late 80's to 90's used bad resin, but in some of the newer boats we figure it is due to products used. What product? We cant figure that out?

Mrs.HLB
06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
This is no joke.
AND THEN...I go to fuel it up on Saturday morning and the tank is completely empty!
This could not have happened any other place because it is in my locked garage at all times.
Hmm, that sucks for you. We bought our boat from them brand new and we have had service done and have never had any problems with them.
Mrs.HLB

SOCALDETAIL1
06-18-2008, 02:43 PM
In that being said I think it is very important to be educated on product as well as getting together with a professional detailer to discuss product or hire them to do the job. Boats and cars are too damn expensive to be damaging when you think you are protecting the gel. Feel free to call me or PM me anytime if you have questions or need to have the boat professionally detailed. Mark (SoCal Detail) 562-544-4732

Edmond
06-18-2008, 03:42 PM
How about white spray paint... that should work... bring it by.

socalmofo
06-19-2008, 04:33 AM
This is no joke.
Be very careful of that guy. He will look you in the face and say one thing and do a complete 180 the next time. I wouldn't do business with him if he was the last person on earth!