PDA

View Full Version : Boat Registration Az Vs. Ca...help

Bense468
03-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Okay so here is my dilema. I am confused on what I should do. I bought this boat over a year ago and never registered it in my name. I am now going to register it. I have property in Havasu, and in So Cal in La county.
What are my options? What is the best way to register. Can I register in AZ and if so what do I need to do, or is it even worth it anymore? If I register in AZ what sales tax will I pay. New to this out of state stuff. Thanks in advance.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Here you go.....all the answers you will need. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107841&highlight=Az+registration)

Bense468
03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks bud

77charger
03-08-2006, 03:57 PM
if you paid your boat in full(non financed)I bet you probably paid 6000.00 :D so you will only get taxed for 6k at around 1percent which will be around 60 bucks a year personal property tax plus the bi anuual registartion shoul be under 70 bucks a year vs az where it will be more.If you paid alot more for a boat then az registration is better way to go

buzzaro
03-08-2006, 06:43 PM
if you paid your boat in full(non financed)I bet you probably paid 6000.00 :D so you will only get taxed for 6k at around 1percent which will be around 60 bucks a year personal property tax plus the bi anuual registartion shoul be under 70 bucks a year vs az where it will be more.If you paid alot more for a boat then az registration is better way to go
As said above, it depends on the size and value of your boat, AZ reg go by length and CA taxes the value of your boat at 1% (average NADA value is what they use, according my county assesors office), so check here: http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/watercraft_registration.shtml
and here:
www.nada.com (http://www.nada.com)
if you can claim AZ residence its a no-brainer, but if you pay your income tax in CA youll prolly have to use the non-resident table

shueman
03-08-2006, 07:26 PM
A fellow boater got a "warning" from a CHP in Needles as he had CA plates on his truck, a CA PTI trailer, but AZ stickers on his boat. They checked his DL and it was CA, so the wrote him up.....he got a "notice to appear" from the DMV to change his boat to CA.... :220v:

Boatcop
03-08-2006, 08:06 PM
A fellow boater got a "warning" from a CHP in Needles as he had CA plates on his truck, a CA PTI trailer, but AZ stickers on his boat. They checked his DL and it was CA, so the wrote him up.....he got a "notice to appear" from the DMV to change his boat to CA.... :220v:
That wouldn't be a valid charge, as boats are required (by State and Federal Law) to be registered in the "state of principal use". "Use" means when it's in the water. Trailered doesn't matter. Driver's License or residence doesn't matter. It's strictly where the boat is used.
That CHP Officer doesn't know what he's talking about. I'd be curious to know what statute he was written up on.

shueman
03-08-2006, 11:01 PM
That wouldn't be a valid charge, as boats are required (by State and Federal Law) to be registered in the "state of principal use". "Use" means when it's in the water. Trailered doesn't matter. Driver's License or residence doesn't matter. It's strictly where the boat is used.
That CHP Officer doesn't know what he's talking about. I'd be curious to know what statute he was written up on.
Thanks BC; I'll ask him. It was a "warning", but he still got a notice from the DMV, so the paper trail went that way.

Hardly Satisfied
03-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Boatcop , I was told that if the trailer is Reg in calif it doesn't make a difference what's on that trailer , truth or not??

H20skier
03-09-2006, 05:36 AM
Years ago when we lived in CA but had a place in AZ, had both boats registered in AZ. They were garaged in AZ and never went to CA. Made the mistake one time of paying for one of the boat stickers with a check drawn on our CA bank. Got a notice back that the boat was considered out of state. From then on, I was careful to pay the other registration with a money order and had no problems.

shueman
03-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Boatcop , I was told that if the trailer is Reg in calif it doesn't make a difference what's on that trailer , truth or not??
Truth....

Boatcop
03-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Years ago when we lived in CA but had a place in AZ, had both boats registered in AZ. They were garaged in AZ and never went to CA. Made the mistake one time of paying for one of the boat stickers with a check drawn on our CA bank. Got a notice back that the boat was considered out of state. From then on, I was careful to pay the other registration with a money order and had no problems.
The AZ Game & Fish Dept is cross referencing boat registrations with Driver's Licenses, vehicle registration and State income tax returns. To be eligible for registration at the "Resident" rate, you must actually be a resident. Just owning property doesn't cut it any more.
Anyone who isn't actually an Arizona resident, but have been paying the resident rate, may see your next renewal cost changed to the higher rate.
Resident means that Arizona is your primary residence. That you live, work, vote, send kids to school, pay income taxes, etc. in Arizona.

Beautiful Noise
03-09-2006, 07:17 AM
My registration is up this year in AZ,My non-resident Fee is Jumping from $80 a year to $222 a year on a 1976 Boat so with this in mind I'm switching back to California at the end of the Year :boxed:

H20skier
03-10-2006, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=Boatcop]The AZ Game & Fish Dept is cross referencing boat registrations with Driver's Licenses, vehicle registration and State income tax returns. To be eligible for registration at the "Resident" rate, you must actually be a resident. Just owning property doesn't cut it any more.
Somehow that doesn't seem quite fair since property owners are paying real estate taxes etc. But who expects govt to be fair....

Boatcop
03-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Somehow that doesn't seem quite fair since property owners are paying real estate taxes etc. But who expects govt to be fair....
The Arizona Game and Fish Dept. and County Boating Officers, not to mention all patrol boats, aren't paid through property taxes. They (we) are fully funded by boat registration fees and marine fuel taxes. Game and Fish is also funded through hunting and fishing license fees. They use NO general fund tax dollars.
Why do they charge more for out of state registrations and licenses?
Because that's what the State Legeslature wants when they (the Senators and Representatives) pass the laws that establish those fees.
Why do they enact such laws?
Because they can. And because they know that the ones it affects the most can't vote against them.

Partycattin
03-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Had my prior boat and trailer registered in AZ. Cost was less and no luxury tax.
Was towing in CA and the hwy partrol gave me a ticket for the trailer. The officer said he couldn't ticket me on the boat.
So my answer is. Register the boat in AZ. Cost is less than CA and no more Luxury tax b.s.
If your towing at all in CA, keep the trailer registered in CA to avoid the worries about getting a lame ass ticket.

shaffewm
03-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Why do they enact such laws?
Because they can. And because they know that the ones it affects the most can't vote against them.[/QUOTE]
To true...just paid my jumped up fees tonight :mad: but....still way cheaper than the california "property" tax...

Boatcop
03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
just paid my jumped up fees tonight :mad:
And I thank you for it.
Just need about 9 or 10 more and my next year's raise will be paid for. :D

HMF'er
03-10-2006, 09:08 PM
And I thank you for it.
Just need about 9 or 10 more and my next year's raise will be paid for. :D
Sent mine in, happy to help.

Bense468
03-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. If I registered in AZ how much sales tax will I get hit with?

ThongMagnet
03-10-2006, 09:53 PM
There is no advantage in licensing a boat in Arizona over California.
If you really want to save money, buy a smaller/less expensive boat. If I ever find a California resident falsly registering as a resident of Arizona, I'll turn you in.
California needs the money more than Arizona needs Cheaters :argue:
Stop Cheaters...Turn your friends in today!!!!! :boxingguy :)

acatitude
03-10-2006, 11:56 PM
As stated above yes my az registartion doubled this year but still cheaper then paying property tax on the value of my boat, and as boat cop said its where boat is used more then 50% of time. my trailer has ca ptl plates. never had an issue, geez look at all the u-haul trucks running around with out of state plates and rented out of local stores. they should talk to those guys

Boatcop
03-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all your help guys. If I registered in AZ how much sales tax will I get hit with?
You will only pay sales tax if the boat was purchased from a dealer in Arizona or delivered to you in Arizona from an out of state dealer. There's no sales tax on a private purchase, or any taxes due if transferring the registration from another state.
If the boat is delivered in Arizona and no sales tax is paid to the out of state dealer, you must pay and show proof that Arizona Sales tax (5.5%) has been paid to the AZ Dept of Revenue. AZGFD won't register the boat until you provide the proof. (cancelled check, receipt, etc) Local and County sales tax should also be paid, but no proof of that portion of the tax is required. How much that tax is depends on where you took delivery. I don't believe there is any way to check if that tax has been paid, so it's pretty much up to your own conscience.

Mandelon
05-15-2006, 07:35 PM
The AZ Game & Fish Dept is cross referencing boat registrations with Driver's Licenses, vehicle registration and State income tax returns. To be eligible for registration at the "Resident" rate, you must actually be a resident. Just owning property doesn't cut it any more.
Anyone who isn't actually an Arizona resident, but have been paying the resident rate, may see your next renewal cost changed to the higher rate.
Resident means that Arizona is your primary residence. That you live, work, vote, send kids to school, pay income taxes, etc. in Arizona.
Well that kind of settles it.

4DAY4PLAY
05-15-2006, 08:44 PM
I just seen a friend of mines brand new cat from a so cal custom boat builder, and they registered it in Oregon for him......not sure how they pulled that off....or if its even legal, anyone know?

BADASS38CHEVY
05-15-2006, 08:57 PM
You will only pay sales tax if the boat was purchased from a dealer in Arizona or delivered to you in Arizona from an out of state dealer. There's no sales tax on a private purchase, or any taxes due if transferring the registration from another state.
If the boat is delivered in Arizona and no sales tax is paid to the out of state dealer, you must pay and show proof that Arizona Sales tax (5.5%) has been paid to the AZ Dept of Revenue. AZGFD won't register the boat until you provide the proof. (cancelled check, receipt, etc) Local and County sales tax should also be paid, but no proof of that portion of the tax is required. How much that tax is depends on where you took delivery. I don't believe there is any way to check if that tax has been paid, so it's pretty much up to your own conscience.
Boatcop,I bought my boat in California and had it delivered to my vacation home in Hillsboro Oregon and paid no sales tax.It has been almost a year now and wanted to register in Arizona as a non residence now because I am thinking about selling my place.I bought a vacation home in Parker Dam and will be boating there now.Will I need to pay sales tax there?How do I go about registation and what would the cost be for a 28 ft boat,thanks.

Eliminator951
05-15-2006, 09:44 PM
About 10 years ago I purchased a tractor trailer for a race team I had then and took delivery in Nevada state line. The truck had apportioned plates and never had a problem; that was comercial though.
A buddy of mine works for the CHP and he tells me he looks for CA trucks pulling out of state trailers. I asked him if it makes a difference if the boat is AZ and nope, the boat is not on the highway so it does not pay highway taxes or matter where it is registered. The person that received a ticket for this the cop probably made a mistake. The CHP gets pretty PO'd when they catch cheaters since the DMV license fees help pay their salary.

Troubles No More
05-16-2006, 04:04 AM
Just wondering
What are the pro’s/con’s of Nevada boat registration with a Cal trailer?
Is it the same as Arizona?

Troubles No More
05-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Doe's anyone have info on Nevada boat registration. Do they have a property tax?

BADASS38CHEVY
05-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Btt

cruser
05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Hmm, I live in Hillsboro Or and have never seen this boat. I am sure I would remember it if I did. And why would anyone own vacation property here???
By the way, when I bought my Eliminator I had it shipped to Oregon and did not pay any sales taxes. Registration was ~$30 per year, 2 year minimum. Title was around $80 or so, dont remember for sure. All the fees for the boat and trailer added up to around $250 or so.