PDA

View Full Version : Last weekend in San Diego offshore

sillywilly
05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
I am not sure if any of you offshore guys in San Diego made it out last weekend but for those of you who did not you missed an epic weekend. After the storm both Saturday & Sunday the seas were 6-8 with occasional 10-12. Totally of the chart experience in my 33 scarab. We were probablly 10' out of the water on more than a few occasions. Almost scarry. For some reason I cannot get enough of it. We must have launched off 200 waves in the two days. My passengers got the rides of their life. It would be nice to know who all is in the San Diego area with ocean boats. It would be fun to get a broup together for some ocean fun. Whoever you guys are make yourselves known.

gnarley
05-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Sounds like fun until you stuff it. eek!

sillywilly
05-07-2003, 02:55 PM
I have not personally stuffed one of these boats. Are there any strategies in wave jumping and general rough water riding that can be applied to avoid such an event? Any tips would be appreciated.

gnarley
05-07-2003, 03:40 PM
sillywilly:
I have not personally stuffed one of these boats. Are there any strategies in wave jumping and general rough water riding that can be applied to avoid such an event? Any tips would be appreciated. Not that I'm aware of. I have only heard a conversation from Arneson last year & while he was on his way up to Benicia for the races & he stuffed his 46'Skater. It sounded like it shook him up a little but no damage & that one is fully enclosed. All's it takes is a rogue wave or wrong timing & it could happen I guess. You just never know.

TriSum
05-07-2003, 11:25 PM
I would think you would have more of a chance stuffing a "cat" due to the dual, smaller, sponsons, than you would stuffing a "v", being larger, has to displace more water. I've never stuffed the bow, just slapped it down.

Freak
05-16-2003, 04:22 AM
I watched a V stuff and sink on the balcony of a condo I rented at the beach. I say it was 28-32ft boat. He was jumping waves. I was watching in jealousy and then poof a big white splash and the motor shut off. Very eerie. Only the guy in the boat swam 150 yards and walked up on the beach. The coast guard alarm went off - all kinds of safety equipment showed up - on land and water and I watched them salvage the boat. By the way - the boat went straight to the bottom. The wave just swallowed it. There is a guy named PITBULL over on screamandfly.com that does some insane wave jumping for 9yrs and he recently ate it. Remember it's not a question of "if" but "when" it's going to happen. Ware safety equipment! and remember your responsible for all on the boat. People get hurt or worse. http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9d0c29d60feb910c5220ff8da57189ba&threadid=33511&perpage=15&highlight=pit%20bull&pagenumber=1
[ May 16, 2003, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

Freak
05-16-2003, 04:38 AM
here is a pic of his insanity .....http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9d0c29d60feb910c5220ff8da57189ba&threadid=25645&highlight=pit+bull