PDA

View Full Version : Cruise info

phebus
03-08-2006, 05:39 PM
My wife and I have never been on a cruise, and our 20th anniversary is coming up. I want to try one of the mini 3 day Mexico cruises. Any info from those that have been on one, as far as which cruise line, and things I should make sure I book, or need to do.
Thanks,
Rick

Havasu Hangin'
03-08-2006, 05:41 PM
We usually do one every year. It's great to get away for a couple days, and put your drinking zapatos on.
I've been on both RC and Carnival. For a small consulting fee, I'll give you the scorecard.
:D

Mandelon
03-08-2006, 05:49 PM
I thought you were going to Hawaii?

JB in so cal
03-08-2006, 05:52 PM
My wife and I have never been on a cruise, and our 20th anniversary is coming up. I want to try one of the mini 3 day Mexico cruises. Any info from those that have been on one, as far as which cruise line, and things I should make sure I book, or need to do.
Thanks,
Rick
Stay away from the 3 day. :yuk:

phebus
03-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I thought you were going to Hawaii?
Postponed until summer. We didn't want our daughter to miss school her last semester as a senior.

charlyox
03-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I had never been on a cruise before either. So we booked a 4 day cruise out of Long Beach. We booked it thru AAA and it was GREAT! It was like $300 per person with a cabin window. The ship was the "Paradise". Everything was great.The ship was built in '97 so it was prety plush. I highly recommend it.

HOOTER SLED-
03-08-2006, 06:14 PM
I need to hit one of these as well. Bring on the info. :rollside:

Craig
03-08-2006, 06:39 PM
6 of us did the 3 day from LA to Ensenada a couple of years ago. None of us had been on a cruise before that. It was only about $400 a person on Carnival. While it might not have been the highest standards on the sea, we had a blast! :D

Brooski
03-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Weve done both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. If all you want to do is party, Carnival is the way to go. If you want a little nicer digs, a little classier ride, then do Royal Caribbean. Personally I had more fun on RC. Plus they have a great midnight buffet. Carnival has only pizza available at midnight. (Important stuff when youve been drinking all day).
And when you get to Ensenada, its Pappas and Beer all the way!!!!!!!!! :p

Magic34
03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
I've been on both multiple times. Royal Carribean is much better.

boatsnblondes
03-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Cruises...where to start...I have taken nearly 20 of them, mostly on Princess, but a couple on Royal Carribean, and one on Holland America. SO, where to start. First, where do you want to go?? to nice sunny beaches in the Carribean? Or maybe Alaska?? There are several options. But know this first, you get what you pay for. So, the cheapest deal may not be the best. Things such as food and quality of service DO matter on a ship. Not like you can change the restaraunt midweek. That said, I choose Princess or Holland America these days. I have a freind who SWEARS by Cunard, the owners of the quite beautiful Queen Mary, and a few others. SO here are my recommendations....first, do not use a travel agent, rather, I use these guys, they do a great job, and I usually get a shipboard credit when I use them. Here is the link.
http://www.vacationstogo.com/
You can use anyone you like, but these guys constantly beat my travel agents a few years ago, and now I use them only. Give them a call....in case you are wondering, I use a guy named Chance Avon, x381...tell him I sent you and he'll either hang up on you or charge you double, good luck. Tell him the Railroad guy sent you, that will do it for sure.
As for the ship, first, if this is your first cruise, the bigger the ship the better. They tend to be less affected by the roll of the waves, thus less chance of seasickness for you, even though you have a boat, there is a chance, bring dramamine. Second, the higher the deck, the better, make sure you are about the middle of the ship, if possible, the least amount of movement is midships. Get a balcony, get a balcony, get a balcony. NOTHING beats the smell of that fresh ocean air coming in through your sliding glass door, nothing. You have a table out there, chairs, a place to sit and read and watch the world go by, have a little breakfast or lunch, or spend a little quality time dancing to the piped in music from the TV with you wife. A little moonlight and your set.
Food, wait first, drinks. Drinks are not free, cept maybe tea. anything else you sign for. Someone told me the first day of the cruise, they have a promo going for cokes, something like 65 bucks, and you get a sticker that lets you have all you want, it pays for itself, get it if you can. OF course, I am speaking only of Princess, no idea if anyone else does it. Food is great, depending on where you go. The dining rooms are great, and there is a HUGE variety for try different tastes. But after a while, Chris and I took off for the steakhouse and had a fillet...nice. Eat a LITE meat in the AM, small lunch, regular dinner, and you should be fine weightwise. Splurge with a cup of hot chocolate, please, it's the best, before bed. ALL food is included, but there is a surcharge for onboard restaraunts...
Other than that, it's a great way to relax..let them do the work. The kids will have a great time by the pools, and lots to do at night. Make sure if you book with Princess, that as soon as you get your booking number, you go to the Princess site and book your shore excursions if that is what you are going to do..they go fast...remember you are competing with 2500-3000 close personal friends for spots, the best ones go fast.
As a rule, the further north you go the older the crowd, the further south, the younger. Keep an eye on your kids, know where they are at all times, and whom they are with. Cruise ships have become a little crazy latley, but not to worry, the security is pretty good, you'll see.
If there is ANYTHING I can do to help you, PLEASE PM me, I'll call you, or you can call me, and I'll do my best to help you. One last thing, try to book a ten day, if you can, 7 seems like as soon as you get relaxed, it's time to go. Hope this helped.....
One last thing, here is a guys complete online gallery of his cruise on Princess' ship the Carribean Princess..this should give you a great idea of wha to expect...I have been on this ship..great time..but a 7 day trip..may be just enough to decide if you like cruising or not....
http://www.pbase.com/333/cruise_2004&page=all

C-2
03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
We did that cruise - was $300 back then, but walked off with a $700 bar tab :eek: :eek: Their Coors Light was about a year out of code - so we had to drink Corona's and Grolsch. The beer part sucked, otherwise it was fun, fun, fun.

Garrddogg
03-09-2006, 05:49 AM
Cruises...where to start...I have taken nearly 20 of them, mostly on Princess, but a couple on Royal Carribean, and one on Holland America. SO, where to start. First, where do you want to go?? to nice sunny beaches in the Carribean? Or maybe Alaska?? There are several options. But know this first, you get what you pay for. So, the cheapest deal may not be the best. Things such as food and quality of service DO matter on a ship. Not like you can change the restaraunt midweek. That said, I choose Princess or Holland America these days. I have a freind who SWEARS by Cunard, the owners of the quite beautiful Queen Mary, and a few others. SO here are my recommendations....first, do not use a travel agent, rather, I use these guys, they do a great job, and I usually get a shipboard credit when I use them. Here is the link.
http://www.vacationstogo.com/
You can use anyone you like, but these guys constantly beat my travel agents a few years ago, and now I use them only. Give them a call....in case you are wondering, I use a guy named Chance Avon, x381...tell him I sent you and he'll either hang up on you or charge you double, good luck. Tell him the Railroad guy sent you, that will do it for sure.
As for the ship, first, if this is your first cruise, the bigger the ship the better. They tend to be less affected by the roll of the waves, thus less chance of seasickness for you, even though you have a boat, there is a chance, bring dramamine. Second, the higher the deck, the better, make sure you are about the middle of the ship, if possible, the least amount of movement is midships. Get a balcony, get a balcony, get a balcony. NOTHING beats the smell of that fresh ocean air coming in through your sliding glass door, nothing. You have a table out there, chairs, a place to sit and read and watch the world go by, have a little breakfast or lunch, or spend a little quality time dancing to the piped in music from the TV with you wife. A little moonlight and your set.
Food, wait first, drinks. Drinks are not free, cept maybe tea. anything else you sign for. Someone told me the first day of the cruise, they have a promo going for cokes, something like 65 bucks, and you get a sticker that lets you have all you want, it pays for itself, get it if you can. OF course, I am speaking only of Princess, no idea if anyone else does it. Food is great, depending on where you go. The dining rooms are great, and there is a HUGE variety for try different tastes. But after a while, Chris and I took off for the steakhouse and had a fillet...nice. Eat a LITE meat in the AM, small lunch, regular dinner, and you should be fine weightwise. Splurge with a cup of hot chocolate, please, it's the best, before bed. ALL food is included, but there is a surcharge for onboard restaraunts...
Other than that, it's a great way to relax..let them do the work. The kids will have a great time by the pools, and lots to do at night. Make sure if you book with Princess, that as soon as you get your booking number, you go to the Princess site and book your shore excursions if that is what you are going to do..they go fast...remember you are competing with 2500-3000 close personal friends for spots, the best ones go fast.
As a rule, the further north you go the older the crowd, the further south, the younger. Keep an eye on your kids, know where they are at all times, and whom they are with. Cruise ships have become a little crazy latley, but not to worry, the security is pretty good, you'll see.
If there is ANYTHING I can do to help you, PLEASE PM me, I'll call you, or you can call me, and I'll do my best to help you. One last thing, try to book a ten day, if you can, 7 seems like as soon as you get relaxed, it's time to go. Hope this helped.....
One last thing, here is a guys complete online gallery of his cruise on Princess' ship the Carribean Princess..this should give you a great idea of wha to expect...I have been on this ship..great time..but a 7 day trip..may be just enough to decide if you like cruising or not....
http://www.pbase.com/333/cruise_2004&page=all
This is the best info right here!! although I havnt been on Holland or Princess, also the www.vacationstogo.com is the shit too..
One thing i can add is to take a bag bigger than you need and take as much bottled water as you can, (and,or) your favorite drink,iffin they're glass bottles wrap em up good with your clothes so they dont break!!
and have FUN FUN FUN!!!
Force..
PS : extra important is the bancony stateroom..sittin out there kinda turnes into one of those Carona comercials.

OnlyMoney
03-09-2006, 08:12 AM
We do the 3 dayer every November to cover everyone's Nov bdays and have only gone on RC for the past 5 of them. The fare is inexpensive and the bar tab is always expensive, but it's a fun getaway. Although the CL may have been out of date, it's the higher alcohol content CL and in the fat cans, kind of cool. I would recommend it if you've never been before and you're not sure you would like the whole cruising thing. I say go for it! And if you need any help locating a good room with a view, feel free to PM. We've tried them all....

Captain Dan
03-09-2006, 08:16 AM
We do the 3 dayer every November to cover everyone's Nov bdays and have only gone on RC for the past 5 of them. The fare is inexpensive and the bar tab is always expensive, but it's a fun getaway. Although the CL may have been out of date, it's the higher alcohol content CL and in the fat cans, kind of cool. I would recommend it if you've never been before and you're not sure you would like the whole cruising thing. I say go for it! And if you need any help locating a good room with a view, feel free to PM. We've tried them all....
There's a higher alcohol Coor's Light? Where is that sold, other than the cruise you were on?

OnlyMoney
03-09-2006, 08:41 AM
I have no idea, but I think it's a foreign thing. The cruiseline is foreign-owned and it goes to Mexico, so somehow....It explains how plastered we got after a few, not realizing it until the last day of course! :rollside:

a catered life
03-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Weve done both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. If all you want to do is party, Carnival is the way to go. If you want a little nicer digs, a little classier ride, then do Royal Caribbean. Personally I had more fun on RC. Plus they have a great midnight buffet. Carnival has only pizza available at midnight. (Important stuff when youve been drinking all day).
And when you get to Ensenada, its Pappas and Beer all the way!!!!!!!!! :p
yes the midnight buffet is one of the most inportant things when you have been hitting it hard all day but we did carnival and the midnight buffet was packed with crap i mean really packed there was a short line. who would have thought that many people awake to eat at midnight but it was a blast

a catered life
03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
if you want to talk to a travel agent that specializes in cruises let me know i will get you my agents number she works for montrose travel in the city of montrose close to la canada/pasadena area shes got the dvds and vcr tapes you can watch and get some infor before you go

boatsnblondes
03-09-2006, 07:59 PM
ONe thing I forgot to mention..the buffett....there are a few things there that are fresh..fruit, salad, etc. But it is mainly a clearing house for leftovers from the main dining room....if you didn't like it last night, why would you tonight??? :cool:

Throttle
03-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey RS, I got an idea, how bout you stay on that cruise ship and I will hang at your new pad in Havi to feed the dog! this will save me from buyin a place ouut there right now! :rollside:

phebus
03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey RS, I got an idea, how bout you stay on that cruise ship and I will hang at your new pad in Havi to feed the dog! this will save me from buyin a place ouut there right now! :rollside:
The new house has a Casita that is seperate from the main house. It has it's own full bath, microwave, refrigerator, etc, and it's yours to use when you want.