PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question - how do you adjust RPMs with a jet?

zmoz
09-21-2003, 10:48 PM
I'm in the market for a new (old) jet with a 454 or a 460. (whichever I come across first) Before this I had an outboard...when you've got more power and more RPMs you can just change props to get back into the right RPM range. What do you do with a jet??

HammerDown
09-22-2003, 04:07 AM
One of 2 things....add a ton of power, or use a smaller "cut" Impeller AA, A, B, C, D. Or even split cuts like A/B.
Most jets came from the manufacture with an (A) Impeller for all around efficiency. To allow the motor to rev higher and possibly have more top end speed a smaller cut would be installed such as a (B). That alone should be good for several hundred rpm.
And it's only a "stupid question" if it never gets asked.
[ September 22, 2003, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

zmoz
09-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks...how much does one of those cost? I plan on getting something with a mostly stock motor...but will put a blower on it after a bit... :)

HammerDown
09-22-2003, 12:32 PM
zmoz:
Thanks...how much does one of those cost? I plan on getting something with a mostly stock motor...but will put a blower on it after a bit... :) How much dose one of what cost? An Impeller?, an Aluminum one can be had for a few hundred bucks, Bronze about 800.00 Stanless over 1000.00
Depends on the HP ya put to it. I'm doing just fine with about 550HP on a Aggressor Aluminum A cut at just over 5000 RPM.