PDA

View Full Version : new member help?/

jetmike
06-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey out there to all you jet boat guys.Just restored a 75 hallett bubble deck boat.Ok problem is this when i bought the boat last year,it had a bone stock 454 chevy,it ran 46 mph.Planed off very easy & in general ran pretty good.Decided to upgrade the motor,put a stroker big block in it,tunnel ram roller cam merlin heads etc,all the good stuff.Took the boat out yesterday ,the motor sounds very strong ,but now the boat wont even plane off.Just revs to 5000 rpm & barely moving.The jet drive was touched in any way while the motor was being done.Checked for obstruction underneath in the intake grate area didnt see anything,also seems to have aterrible vibration at higher rpms,thanks in advance michael:)

BLOWN JOB
06-30-2008, 09:53 PM
what size is the impeller you can build the motor as big as you want but the pump is what you need to look at

jetboatperformance
07-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Mike sorry to hear about your problems ,when it revs up does it shudder and vibrate or does the engine seem "disconnected" Although rarely we have seen pum and driveline splines stripped , Severe vibration and shudder would suggest you sucked something up into the jet More info would help Tom

jetmike
07-01-2008, 07:54 PM
:) Hey thanks for answering my cry for help LOL.Yes it does vibrate but not like it is disconnected,the boat moves some,just wont plane off,also not much water flow thru motor,& none out of the exhaust.So i think you may be onto something about there being something in the jet unit.Like a newbie i started the motor while it was beached on land very shallow,so im guessing there is something in there.Is it possible to get it out without taking apart the unit?? thanks michael

73sleekraft
07-02-2008, 04:17 AM
Have you checked for weeds and/or other debris in the hand hole cover?? Could have sucked some crap up while you were beached..(weeds)

jetmike
07-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Thank you i will be checking that tonight thanks for your input michael

floatinphas
07-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Sounds like you sucked something up your jet.check the cover just inside the the transom. cover with two bolts about 6-8 inch in dia.
Does the reverse still operate when engaged?:idea: :idea:

jetmike
07-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey guys ,you were all right,i got time today & got under the boat,pulled that intake grate thing off,only 3 screws real easy.There it was a huge piece of wood jammed in the impeller.So let me just say that for someone just starting out on a jet boat,you guys are awesome thanks for the help.Hope everyone gets in some good "boat time" this weekend michael

floatinphas
07-04-2008, 04:58 AM
hey jet mike you should still check your jet hand hole cover,its on the inside of the boats transom.watch your temp gauge,it 's also a good indicator that you suck something up your jet.make sure you top the bowl with gear oil.and remember we were all newbies at one point in time:)

jetmike
07-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Hey ,thanks for the good advice i will do those things that you mentioned & again thanks you guys for your help michael