PDA

View Full Version : 150K what type of business should /can I start? No haters!

Wake Havasu
03-08-2006, 06:07 PM
I am relying on the fact that hot boaters are intelligent and do well to be able to afford such nice rigs.
What type of enterprise can I start ?
Serious replies only.
:smile:

Jordy
03-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Strip club. :D

MagicMtnDan
03-08-2006, 06:10 PM
A restaurant
A coffee shop
A sales office
A manufacturing company
A hair salon
Basically, you have enough money to start most any small business (you may have more than you need).
The real question is what business do you KNOW? (And what are you good at?)
Good luck!

MagicMtnDan
03-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Hell, forget the strip club - just go with $150,000 in lap dances! :D

THOR
03-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Ancient Chinese Massage Parlor

phebus
03-08-2006, 06:17 PM
If you want it to succeed, pick something your passionate about. Throwing money at a business won't work.

Kilrtoy
03-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Strip Club

Jordy
03-08-2006, 06:20 PM
I am relying on the fact that hot boaters are intelligent
Well, there is your first mistake. Spend much time on here???? Apparently not if you're making comments like that. :D
Aside from the forums, we can't be that smart or we'd all be riding in someone elses' boat instead of owning our own. :D :D :D

Danhercules
03-08-2006, 06:21 PM
invest the cash in land, and get a job

Jbb
03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Well, there is your first mistake. Spend much time on here???? Apparently not if you're making comments like that. :D
Aside from the forums, we can't be that smart or we'd all be riding in someone elses' boat instead of owning our own. :D :D :D
Jordy......Stop Hating.... :)

cdog
03-08-2006, 06:23 PM
300 bucks and you can have your CA. real estate lic. I hear it's real easy and all realtors are rich.... :)

soupersonic
03-08-2006, 06:23 PM
You could always start a sheep sheering school here in mesa

Jordy
03-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Jordy......Stop Hating.... :)
Not hating, Brian. Educating. :D :D :D

Jbb
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Not hating, Brian. Educating. :D :D :D
RD SUX!................. :cool:

Charley
03-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I am relying on the fact that hot boaters are intelligent and do well to be able to afford such nice rigs.
Serious replies only.
PM Me :D

cdog
03-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Do you like jewlery? My wife is always looking for more Cookie Lee reps. Start up is around $500. :)

Focker
03-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Rent A Lot Of Pontoon Boats, Haul Kids Around For The Next Six Weeks

2Driver
03-08-2006, 06:45 PM
You could always start a sheep sheering school here in mesa
Geez did you see that $hit in the news? :220v: Wasn't it a battalion chief for the Mesa FD that was caught screwing a sheep in a neighbors barn? FK that is some weird chit. I thought for sure they were going to say it was some guy that rents big generators :D :D :D

Cas
03-08-2006, 06:47 PM
If you want it to succeed, pick something your passionate about. Throwing money at a business won't work.
Right there is sound advice!
As far as a business, it really depends on the area. I've been remodeling a store here in Sonoma for a client for the last couple of weeks. Numerous people have walked in asking what the store is going to be and then given me what they wished it was going to be.
The number 1 suggestion is a good old fashioned soda fountain with jars of hard candy, taffy and root beer floats.
Second on the list, a candy store...something like Sees candies
3rd, a 5 and dime type store.
People here in Sonoma are tired of real estate offices, wine tasting rooms and art galleries....that's what I'm remodeling the store to be, actually, it's a photo gallery.
The one thing about a retail store is the long hours. No matter what type of store it is, the owner usually has long hours.

MBlaster
03-08-2006, 06:53 PM
plumber, electrician, tile guy...anyone I know that does skill work makes bank.

Cas
03-08-2006, 06:57 PM
after thinking about it a bit, how about a pool cleaner? You just never know what kind of sights you'll see :) and just think of all the pics you could share with the rest of us :D

shueman
03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Buy one of them mobile high-pressure / steam units. Plenty of snowbird RV's out in the desert this time of year to work on.... :cool:

Phat Matt
03-08-2006, 07:31 PM
www.ilovealpacas.com
All you need is love. :p

Focker
03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
www.ilovealpacas.com
All you need is love. :p
ACTUALLY THIS IS A GREAT SUGGESTION.
I AM AMAZED AT THE VALUE OF THESE ANIMALS

Phat Matt
03-08-2006, 07:43 PM
ACTUALLY THIS IS A GREAT SUGGESTION.
I AM AMAZED AT THE VALUE OF THESE ANIMALS
If you have land these things could be walking banks. :)

MagicMtnDan
03-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Finally! Jordy acknowledges my superior intelligence! :D :D :D

THATJEFFGUY
03-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Serious replies only.
Wanna buy a canopy business ??

YeLLowBoaT
03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Go spend a few hundred and take some small biz classes at the local JC.... you will find it to be the best money you will ever spend if you want to own your own biz....

ROZ
03-08-2006, 08:31 PM
after thinking about it a bit, how about a pool cleaner? You just never know what kind of sights you'll see :) and just think of all the pics you could share with the rest of us :D
There's no money in pool cleaning... Bling will agree ...

Mandelon
03-08-2006, 08:42 PM
You are in La Quinta? A business that appeals to the local clientele. Are there business brokers out there in your area? There might be something for sale that's already going.
Retail sucks. Ask Outcoled.

OutCole'd
03-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Retail sucks. Ask Outcoled.
No money in Retail at all............ :cool:
How about starting a coffee shop, I think Starbucks is doing pretty well.

YeLLowBoaT
03-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Star buck just released a report stating that they want to open up 1300 new locations in the US this year.......

OutCole'd
03-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Star buck just released a report stating that they want to open up 1300 new locations in the US this year.......
Too bad ther are corporate owned, a franchise off them would be a no brainer.

BADASS38CHEVY
03-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Buy property from Eric Estada's Mountain Lakes.

Magic34
03-08-2006, 09:22 PM
I need more reps in So Cal. Independent Distributors are few are far between in that area for me. Less than 3% of your figure is needed to start. :cool:

TCHB
03-08-2006, 09:32 PM
10 MW power plant.

YeLLowBoaT
03-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I really beleave the industry that is really going to explode both now and in the near future is "tattoo removel"....

ultra27jay
03-08-2006, 09:42 PM
hey magic whats up with your website ?

moneypit
03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Rule 1. Dont use your money.
Rule 2. Start a corporation.
Rule 3. Use the banks money.
If the business fails, you still have your money. Use your money to invest to get a good slow return through funds/stocks/real estate. Once your business pays off and starts to work. Pay off the bank.

KROOZIN
03-08-2006, 09:46 PM
First of all, stick to what you know! If you've never been in the restaurant business why would you buy a restaurant...unless you're a chef and that is your passion. If you've worked in the body shop business, I'd say look into body shops. It's going to be a lot of hard work and you'll need some luck too. You can create your own luck, just stick to an area that you know something about.
Secondly, only buy a business that is being mis-managed. You should be able to see how you could make some changes and increase your return on your investment right away.
Do lots and lots of homework! Sounds like you're ready to lose your 150! I would spend months researching an industry before jumping into it. Don't do random! Be smarter than the guy you're buying the business from.
Just an opinion....Good Luck!!!

Phat Matt
03-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Just go buy a new boat and be done with it. :D

moneypit
03-08-2006, 09:52 PM
If you know anything about boats then design a universal base for seats that has a shock system to mimimizes driver impact. It has to more affordable then the ones the military is using. (need a partner? i have plenty of ideas!!)
http://www.glyde-ryde.com/

Racer277
03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Secondly, only buy a business that is being mis-managed. You should be able to see how you could make some changes and increase your return on your investment right away.
Interesting opinion...
My buddy who was an engineer for Hughes (rocket scientist, ha ha)decided he wanted his own business.
He went back to school, got a degree in business and spent years looking at different businesses. He was actually looking for a failing business that was being mis-managed. He eventually found it, turned it around, and helped at least one other business recover in the meantime.
If I did even a little of what he recommends, I would be a baller....

ultra27jay
03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
im with matt! with 150k it will get u a nice e ticket :rollside:

Phat Matt
03-08-2006, 10:13 PM
im with matt! with 150k it will get u a nice e ticket :rollside:
Smart man. :D That's where I'd put my money. :rollside:

CornWater
03-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Tie up a piece of land (20 acre plot would be nice), record the entitlements, sell, repeat.....

Magic34
03-08-2006, 10:17 PM
hey magic whats up with your website ?
My bad. Forgot that was even there. Updated.

H20 Toie
03-08-2006, 10:18 PM
For me it was a case of taking good care of your employees and clients and they will take care of you.
But it depends on what you know and are good at. if you are in it just for the money and don't enjoy the work you are screwed.

Magic34
03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
If the business fails, you still have your money. Use your money to invest to get a good slow return through funds/stocks/real estate. Once your business pays off and starts to work. Pay off the bank.
That is how I would do it.
That money can help secure the bank's money as well.

Charley
03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm sorry but I have to disagree here.. #1 banks don't loan money to new corporations without a personal guarantee, which means if the business fails, he will be paying it back or going BK...#2 if he has 150k in capital either use it interest free or he can probably leverage that into more, it takes money to make money, and it takes big money to make big money. .... I would honestly suggest to put 2 of the suggestions from this thread together....Phebus-pick something you are passionate about & Kroozin's buy a mismanaged business and turn it around... both are good advice in their own right but together are a cocktail for success. Also keep in mind some people are built to become business owners and make money, some people just aren't...best of Good luck to ya, I admire anyone with a business dream!

Hardly Satisfied
03-09-2006, 02:06 AM
buy land

skygod73
03-09-2006, 03:55 AM
Charley is right, banks don't give money to new corps, you'll be on the hook for it. Personally I would not drop that kind of coin on a business when a large majority of new businesses fail in the first couple years. Buying a business is just buying a job. I decided to get out of debt and chase my dream of becoming a full-time Real Estate investor. My goal is to replace my six figure job in the next two years with full time RE investing. So far I am ahead of schedule. I spent a year reading everything I could get my hands on, selling the toys, and getting out of debt. I pay cash for everything except RE or I don't buy it. I used to be caught in the trap that I see so much of here. Big baller boat and truck, debt out of the a$$, living paycheck to paycheck. I look at my kids and they drive me to want more freedom to be home doing my real JOB...DADDY. I really miss my boat, but I know I will have another eventually. I look at how much money I pissed away the last 10 years, and I wonder why it took me so long to get it. Some people never will get it, they will spend all their lives trying to keep up with the other peeps on the boards until they are old and have nothing. Anyway, I am done ranting. Back to your original question, it depends on your goals in life. Decide what your goals are and write them down. If your goal is financial independence and you enjoy RE, then I would pay off as much debit as possible learn everything you can and find your niche. There will be fortunes made in pre-foreclosures, and short sales in the coming years. I have started tinkering with short sales, lease options, and sub 2's. They are fun, profitable, and will work well when a down market comes. Learn a little about those as well as, wholesaling, bird dogging, rehabbing, notes, and commercial rei. Pick the one's you like then master them. I have made a ton of money buying used Mobile Homes wholesale with cash and selling retail on terms. You can routinely get yields over 70%. My family and friends laughed until they saw the money coming in.
Some of the books I have enjoyed are:
The Millionare Next Door
Rich Dad Poor Dad (many in the series)
Creating Wealth
Deals on Wheels (Lonnie Scruggs, pioneer on MH investing)
Making Money With Mobile Homes (Lonnie Scruggs)
Ahead Of The Curve
Some of my favorite RE investing boards:
http://www.reiclub.com/forums/index.php
http://www.creonline.com/index.html
http://www.mobilehomeuniversity.com/index.html
I don't know if this helps you or not, but I wish you luck in whatever you choose. Most important do what you love!

Norseman
03-09-2006, 04:30 AM
I been told that Starbucks are all company owned, not franchised.
Dunkin Donuts stores are franchised and do very well out here on the East coast. Krispy Cremes don't seem to be doing all that well.
The startup cost on a Dunkin Donuts are pretty high. Last time I checked about 4 years ago, the franchise fee was $250K and you needed another 500K in working capital. You also had to agree to take two franchises with in 12 or 18 months. So the buy in was like 1.5 mil.

framer1
03-09-2006, 04:47 AM
If you don't own your home I would buy one. Find a job you like and then figure out a business. You can always borrow the money on your home if you have to. For most people their home will be their biggest and best investment.

sdpm
03-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Become a mobil registration business. I have used the same guy here in San Diego for many years and have sent him alot of clients. He works his own hours and makes very good money and never gets dirty!! Actually he is looking for someone to help him. Very little money out of pocket and I am sure you can get as much business as you would like depending on how aggressive you are and if you take care of your current clients.

ChumpChange
03-09-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm sorry but I have to disagree here.. #1 banks don't loan money to new corporations without a personal guarantee, which means if the business fails, he will be paying it back or going BK...#2 if he has 150k in capital either use it interest free or he can probably leverage that into more, it takes money to make money, and it takes big money to make big money. .... I would honestly suggest to put 2 of the suggestions from this thread together....Phebus-pick something you are passionate about & Kroozin's buy a mismanaged business and turn it around... both are good advice in their own right but together are a cocktail for success. Also keep in mind some people are built to become business owners and make money, some people just aren't...best of Good luck to ya, I admire anyone with a business dream!
Nuff said.
I work for a bank and it's all secured by personal guarantees. I laugh everytime I hear the commercial for the Nevada Corporations. Lies Lies Lies.

whiteworks
03-09-2006, 08:10 AM
You can start any business that you like with that kind of ching. here are a few tips.
1. like others have stated pick somthing your passionate about this is the most important part you will be married to your new business and the more you enjoy it the eaiser it will be to grow.
2.Dont spend any money yet. write out a business plan/stategy/goals. join a local breakfest club in your area "great networking with others that have started there own businesses" ask lots of questions and learn from others mistakes. do market research, find out about the competition what areas are they stong in and what there weakness is. plan your work and work your plan you are the boss if you dont do it it wont happen. constantly reveiw and modify your plan. once you start to work your plan it should be quite clear what you need to spend money on and what you dont need to spend money on. get whatever lisence/permit/insurance is needed to practice in your feild.
3. low overhead is the key to starting and maintaining a sucessful business that 150k can go a long long ways if you keep a cool head and only spend on needs. A business has a pulse and in the beginning you need to breath life into
it buy spending on the right things.
4. find a process that makes your business money start small and repeat the process increasing volume as you go. always keep a finger on the pulse of your business IE spreadsheets, P&L statements, debts, accounts recieveable.If you practice these techniques you will master them and have your financials in order. pretend that you are building this business to sell from the begining it will help keep you focused on needs not wants.
5. once you find what works you can cut loose a little coin and monitor your progress for improvements to the process. you should constantly be improving your process.
its not rocket science to start a business from scratch just a process you can repeat with different businesses so buy some reading materials the ones listed above are good to help you form a mindset and strategy most books will cover the basics of sound financial practice
A fool and his money will soon part dont be a fool
I am on my 4th business in ten years
1.land scape and maintnence this one was good money but it just sucked ass
2.restraunt went belly up 11 months and a ton of waisted money
3.water purification equipment sales currently slow and steady growth
4.window shutter manufacturing kickin ass
Best of luck to you

Dave C
03-09-2006, 08:20 AM
wow Charley I'm impressed. I thought you were all smoke and mirrors and then this little pearl of wisdom..... ;)
if he has 150k in capital either use it interest free or he can probably leverage that into more, it takes money to make money, and it takes big money to make big money. .... !

Cole91
03-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Serious replies only.
Mobil home mover, and pad setter. look into this seriously there is only one or two guys that do this on the river from Blyth to Needles, and I understand that if you are not a flake or a meth head you could name your price and :) make some nice coin.

lucky
03-09-2006, 02:31 PM
A restaurant
A coffee shop
A sales office
A manufacturing company
A hair salon
no money in hair -- lol -- but the bikin waxing is off the hook :)
Basically, you have enough money to start most any small business (you may have more than you need).
The real question is what business do you KNOW? (And what are you good at?)
Good luck! he-- had to up date ya dan :)

UnionJack
03-09-2006, 02:32 PM
tanning salon

lucky
03-09-2006, 02:33 PM
arz-- I'd open a drug testing facitily -- Or illigal employment placement program :cool:

PHOTOGLOU
03-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Have you considered Loan Sharking :idea:

OrangePicker
03-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Wanna buy a canopy business ??
I need 4 canopys

YeLLowBoaT
03-09-2006, 02:45 PM
A hair salon
There is not that much money in opening a hair salon itself. not to say that there is not money to be made. my dad does hair for a living he makes over 100k a year doing it. Over the years he has owned 3 salons. none of them really made any good ammounts of cash. These were all very high end. months to get "on the books" and $100 hair cuts( just cut the wash and dry was anohter 50.) Still it was a "break even" deal, Now it was a GREAT for tax dedcutions. In fact the last 1 he owned he had for 7 years... made 3 times on the sale of it then he did on runing it those 7 years.
Now "day spas" are a pretty good at making some money. You just have to keep on reivesting in them to keep ppl coming back.

Magic34
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
I need 4 canopys
Hey, hey, hey.... Get in the back of the line. :)

Magic34
03-09-2006, 03:21 PM
There is not that much money in opening a hair salon itself. not to say that there is not money to be made. my dad does hair for a living he makes over 100k a year doing it. Over the years he has owned 3 salons. none of them really made any good ammounts of cash. These were all very high end. months to get "on the books" and $100 hair cuts( just cut the wash and dry was anohter 50.) Still it was a "break even" deal, Now it was a GREAT for tax dedcutions. In fact the last 1 he owned he had for 7 years... made 3 times on the sale of it then he did on runing it those 7 years.
Now "day spas" are a pretty good at making some money. You just have to keep on reivesting in them to keep ppl coming back.
What about owning a salon with 15 chairs and rent is about $4k/month. Not even knowing how to do hair. Each chair should go for at least $800/month if you make it a nice place, plus you get a small percentage of sales. That is $12,000 just in chair rentals each month to the stylist.
I could make that work.

KACHINA KEN
03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
PM Me :D
Yeah thats all we need, another lighting company. :p

YeLLowBoaT
03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
What about owning a salon with 15 chairs and rent is about $4k/month. Not even knowing how to do hair. Each chair should go for at least $800/month if you make it a nice place, plus you get a small percentage of sales. That is $12,000 just in chair rentals each month to the stylist.
I could make that work.
lol you would never fill the the stalls at that price.... lets not forget that salons are power hungry... all of the hair dryers eat it up fast, hot water.......
my dads current salon had a power/ gas bill of about 2200 month with only 7 stalls. 5 empolyess, 2 independents and 1 mancurest. the empolyees make 10 a hr+ half what they take in( about wash dry cut is about 40. the independents are twice that) very few places take % any more if you rent the stall... $100 a week is about average for a "good shop". It was just sold..( from the guy that my dad sold it too... the other independent) after all exps were paid harry( the old owner) was making less then $500 a month. Most of which he used to make imporvements. I won't even get started on the envoromental and legal stuff..... harry did it mainly as a way not to pay taxs.

OrangePicker
03-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey, hey, hey.... Get in the back of the line. :)
Just as long as IM in line :)

HighRoller
03-09-2006, 04:09 PM
I totally agree with the philosophies of Charley and Skygod, but I would take it one step further. With that much cash I would make sure your personal debt is gone first before venturing into self-employment. Put simply, think of the time and energy you could put into a business if you had no payments to worry about. Most businesses that fail do so because of cash flow issues. This is why borrowing money to start a business is not a very wise plan. And borrowing from personal assets or credit cards to do so is a fool's venture.
There is no specific advice I could give for any business other than transportation. But in general, if you want an insight about how to succeed in a certain area, go find someone who has done so over the long term. Write down two pages of questions for them and pick their brain. Make successful friends or mentors in the business that you can get advice from if needed. And READ!!! Skygod referenced "The Millionaire Next Door", and I would second that. The study showed that the average self made millionaire reads one non-fiction book a month. (I try to read two, hoping to be a two-millionaire!) Here are some other resources:
CNNFN.com
Business 2.0 Magazine
Kiplinger's Personal finance
Lastly, you'll never succeed if you're not good at the "nuts and bolts" of business. Do whatever you have to do in order to get a basic understanding of accounting and management. Without these tools you can make costly mistakes. Also, have a CPA on retainer. That's all for now. Good luck.

moneypit
03-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Marry an old rich broad.

YeLLowBoaT
03-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Marry an old rich broad.
forbes just did a actiacl of the most elligable Bachlorettes... # 1 was the perfect women for me... she was 89 yo, with no aires, a nasty heat condition and was wroth $350 mil....

WaTchTheGelCoat
03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
forbes just did a actiacl of the most elligable Bachlorettes... # 1 was the perfect women for me... she was 89 yo, with no aires, a nasty heat condition and was wroth $350 mil....
My kinda woman!

HOOTER SLED-
03-09-2006, 06:30 PM
tanning salon
We need to talk. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Wake Havasu
03-10-2006, 04:05 PM
A restaurant
A manufacturing company
CNC?
Plastics?
What do I "make"?

sdpm
03-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Buy a piece of land on the outskirts of town maybe by a little stream with some mountian views. Grade it a little, throw out some grass seed and onen up a MORTUARY!! Full service facility. Bake and shake and everything. Guaranteed customers with no "come backs", your customers will come to you ( you don't have to go find them) very few complaints ( at least from your clients ) maybe a few family members, and you can give all your friends and family a discount. If you don't know how to do taxes, this is the next best thing cause remember there are only 2 things you have to do: DIE and PAY TAXES!!
Just a thought! :cool:

80Dimarco
05-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Pimpin aint easy!!

burtandnancy
05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
If any of my kids wanted to start a business today, I have seen a start-up here in RC that beats them all, and in about your price range. It may be a great idea where you live. Send me a pvt message if you would like my thoughts. It I were 10 years younger, I'd do it myself...

schlepy
05-31-2006, 03:12 PM
spray-on bedliner business from me

91nordic29
05-31-2006, 03:12 PM
i would open a good old fashioned pizza "parlor". like the old shakey's when i was a kid. cant find one of those now. they are all brightly lit, video games, etc...

No Name
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Number one answer. :rollside: Big money!!!

ratso
05-31-2006, 03:15 PM
i would open a good old fashioned pizza "parlor". like the old shakey's when i was a kid. cant find one of those now. they are all brightly lit, video games, etc...
We had one of those here up until around 1978... when I graduated high school. We went there before everyone left on the senior trip. Ours had some sort of entertainment a few nights a week. We always had a blast there.

91nordic29
05-31-2006, 03:25 PM
i remember as a kid, standing at the window (inside and outside) watching the people make the pizzas. tossing the dough, etc... they would give the kids a styrofoam/straw hat to wear and they had a player piano inside.
yup, that is what i would do.

Chico&Zeus
05-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I heard that Team Turnkey is an up and commer in the Marketing Industry, they have stickers shirts.....who knows what could be next. If I had that kind of dough, that's where I would put it :cool:

THREADED INC.
05-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Im Seting up my company as a franchise, Check out the link below and if interested call me.

Flying Tiger
05-31-2006, 09:46 PM
There it is.
A biz where ya love it, ya know what you're looking at, and perhaps ya fix something technical,, usually will work.
A business plan is essential.
My first customer was the original owner of Fat Burger. I did side work outside of my 9 to 5 job because I loved Air Conditioning & low temp refrigeration, and I needed, as RD puts it:" cubic feet of money" to pay off a pre-stock market success divorce and get it behind me.
The Fatburger owner told me I was really tallented based from his experience with contractors, and just seven regular customers would make me good money. He said "You love this kinda commercial work Ross,, you can make a good amount of lettuce. But take a business class at Pierce College, learn about business plans".
I never looked at it that way,, but he was right. 7 was my lucky number.
Just my 2 cents worth. I did a common task uncommonly well, word spread.
I picked up Roy Yamaguchis restaurants (Roys of Hawaii), Hagan Daz (remember them?),, Hoshizaki, Disney, ect. I had an unlisted phone number I got so many potential customers from word of mouth that I couldn't take on.
I can't stress the point enough:
A business plan is absolutely essential to success if you're serious.
Take a business class at the JC before ya spend a dime.
Easy is for everybody so pick something ya love that ain't so easy.

SHOTKALLIN
05-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Buy land in Mohave Valley,AZ. Its the cheapest land any where near the river. Millions were spent upgrading Jack Smith Marina. Launch from there and you are a short ride to Park Moabi and the Sandbar. Go the other way and you are at the Avi. Havasu boomed and is no longer a cheap buy. Bullhead and Laughlin are also no longer a cheap buy. Buy in the middle and you have the best of both worlds. Big things are already happening in Mohave Valley. PM me and I'll tell you what I bought.

lakewake
05-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Start a valet service at the Kathryn's Landing and other busy marinas. Guys who's wives can't back a trailer,pull a trailer or drive the boat would pay big coin for that convenience. Start up would be cheap, Liability Ins, Bond and a cut to the operators of the marina. Don't hire tweekers or the liability will go through the roof. You can work the summers and have the rest of the year off.

Psycho Squid
05-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Pimpin aint easy!!I'm with you PIMP!!! :cool:
Experiment in the drug trade.........(Dangerous) with the whole cartel thing but seems to go with ho!
Squid......
J/Kidding

mondorally
06-01-2006, 06:24 AM
This is SPAM website for businesses for sale. (http://bizbuysell.com/). Lots of businesses for sale. The WSJ had a recent article on how most buyers overpay for an existing business (based on owners expectations/inflated market conditions, etc.) and highlighted the importance of good due dilligence.
Justin

Havasu_Dreamin
06-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Pool cleaner in Havasu. Friend of a friend left his former job in Havasu to be a pool cleaner.....he is making more money AND only working three days per week!

ThongMagnet
06-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Sell decals and t-shirts to Jordy :)

91nordic29
06-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Start a valet service at the Kathryn's Landing and other busy marinas. Guys who's wives can't back a trailer,pull a trailer or drive the boat would pay big coin for that convenience. Start up would be cheap, Liability Ins, Bond and a cut to the opperators of the marina. Don't hire tweekers or the liability will go through the roof. You can work the summers and have the rest of the year off.
now THAT's a good idea. even people who go to the lake by themselves could use that.

Wmc
06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
You can start a pool business for $40k. That will get you around 50 pools. My uncle is a Pool Man and he builds up his business and sells off about 50 pools at a time. Call a broker in the pool business. He works hard, but also gets to play on the lake because he is his own boss. Everyone has pools and every needs a pool man. He makes alot of money doing acid washes & pool repair. Good Luck.

Wmc
06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Start a valet service at the Kathryn's Landing and other busy marinas. Guys who's wives can't back a trailer,pull a trailer or drive the boat would pay big coin for that convenience. Start up would be cheap, Liability Ins, Bond and a cut to the opperators of the marina. Don't hire tweekers or the liability will go through the roof. You can work the summers and have the rest of the year off.
That is the best idea!! My husband makes me park the trailer and I always do it wrong and always have notes on the windhseld saying have consideration for all the other boat trailers. So last weekend I ask this really nice guy if he would help me. I would have paid for that type of service. Heck it is hard to manuever (sp?) a Ford with a trailer for a 28' magic.

Wmc
06-01-2006, 08:18 AM
There's no money in pool cleaning... Bling will agree ...
Your absolutely wrong. My uncle has been doing it for years and he makes a ton of money and lives a great life!!! You can be very successful. He has 150 pools and an employee. His niche in this business is to build up 40-50 extra pools and sell them off to a person who is looking to be in business for himself.

80Dimarco
06-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I am in the same boat and I am probably gonna open a Subway or a Jackson Hewlett Tax place or both. Still looking into it, I know one thing, 14 + YRS in the Military and it's time for me to move on!!

acatitude
06-01-2006, 03:54 PM
please send $500.00 for my how to turn 150k into a million book for do it yourselfers...... oh cash only

ViB
06-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Billet aluminum speaker covers.

Mtg Pro
06-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Strip Club

Wake Havasu
07-06-2006, 07:48 PM
That is the best idea!! My husband makes me park the trailer and I always do it wrong and always have notes on the windhseld saying have consideration for all the other boat trailers. So last weekend I ask this really nice guy if he would help me. I would have paid for that type of service. Heck it is hard to manuever (sp?) a Ford with a trailer for a 28' magic.
What's a charge that people would pay for boat launch / valet service?

Trailer Park Casanova
07-06-2006, 08:00 PM
What's a charge that people would pay for boat launch / valet service?
$25 at Emerald Cove, and they do a brisk biz.

Baller
07-07-2006, 04:50 AM
Become a mobile dog groomer, we can sell you a grooming salon and training, you would be into it about 35,000 for both, and you will can easily make 50 your first year.. easy... people pay when it comes to there anamials... pm. for details

RitcheyRch
07-07-2006, 05:02 AM
Open an auto parts store in Castaic. We dont have one and could really use one near the lake.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Duh!! One look at that body who could say no!!!!!!!!!!

cdog
07-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Buy my boat and a couple of guns and you can be a pirate.
http://www.***boat.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=1237