PDA

View Full Version : my 88 carrera wont plane out!!

knee deep
07-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I need help! I just recently purchased an '88 carrera elite. The boat is in damn good shape apearance and running wise. Its powered by a 460 and a standard berkley jet. Im having some issues getting the boat to plane out when i have it loaded up with 4 or 5 people and and ice chest or 2 aboard. Its a closed bow, so i cant get anyone to sit up front. I have been tossing the idea around to attacth the place diverter and droop snoot on it.. but that is a little out of my price range at the moment. I was wondering if there is anything i can do to get it out of the hole quicker. What to do??

centerhill condor
07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
we're gonna need more info...rpm, speed, but it reads as if you need more motor or jenny craig.
CC

Xlration Marine
07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Jets don't plane out unless they are being pulled by an outboard powered boat. :D :D :D

Jetoholic
07-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I need help! I just recently purchased an '88 carrera elite. The boat is in damn good shape apearance and running wise. Its powered by a 460 and a standard berkley jet. Im having some issues getting the boat to plane out when i have it loaded up with 4 or 5 people and and ice chest or 2 aboard. Its a closed bow, so i cant get anyone to sit up front. I have been tossing the idea around to attacth the place diverter and droop snoot on it.. but that is a little out of my price range at the moment. I was wondering if there is anything i can do to get it out of the hole quicker. What to do??
Jets tend to cavitate out of the hole more when u add more weight to the mix. Maybe try a bigger impeller? R u running a loader or a rock grate? Also, what RPM are you spinning it up to on the hole shot? You may have to spin it up higher than you would with just you in the boat (I have to spn mine to 4000 for it to hook up with other people in it). zonce you're on plane you can drop the RPM to cruise setting and you'll stay planed.
If your pump hasnt been rebuilt since the day it was born I highly recommend that you rebuild it.

knee deep
07-02-2008, 11:06 AM
no mater how hard i punch it it wont plane sometimes. i dont think the pump has been rebuilt.. could that also be the problem i am having with gas sucking way too fast?? i have had many jet boats in the past and never had these kind of problems. i know jets suck a$$ at gas and i know they tend to take a couple seconds to plane.. but im talking about the damn thing wont plane and i have to kick out my bigger friends and lean up on the dash to get down river.
thanx for the serious reply. i did post this in "JUST JETS" right???! get your puss a$S props out of here!

H20MOFO
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
What condor said more info, especially rpm, have you looked in you pump to see if there may be something in there, although then they generally won't go period. You may just need a pump rebuild.

Legal Chemistry
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Jets don't plane out unless they are being pulled by an outboard powered boat. :D :D :D
damnit... some have to plane. :( :(
http://www.performanceboats.com/html/youBoat/data/573/medium/has_to_plane.JPG

Legal Chemistry
07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
what size impeller? given my situation I would have a helluva time planing with 5 people in the back and a "c" cut with a loose pump!

Hiddenvalley-Kid
07-04-2008, 12:00 AM
I am quite familiar with a Carrera Elite. I own a 90 with 454 Bravo drive and have driven a number of jet models. If the boat is stock it came with a Berkley JG pump "A" cut impeller. With 330hp the boat will do 54mph at about 4400 rpm. This boat is tail heavy to begin with. With 5 people in a closed bow, as mine is, you have too much weight in the back. With 1 or 2 people run it out full bore and see if it matches approx. speed and rpm's. If not, you have a worn impeller. If it does then you will have to install a Place diverter to bring the bow over quicker. Drop snoot is a waste of time. Might bring the bow over quicker but will lose handling on top end. With the Merc out drive and 454, the engine is set back ever further than a jet and I had to install tabs to minimize bow rise. Later models than mine came with tabs stock. Hope this helps!

bp
07-04-2008, 11:36 AM
there are numerous things to do, but the symptoms indicate a severely worn out pump. a droop snoot won't correct the problem you're describing. a place diverter -may help-, but neither of those things "CORRECT" the problem.
you can crawl under the boat, check to see if your rockgrate, or whatever you have under there is free of obstruction, then look up in the hole at the suction side of the impeller and see if the vanes are nice and straight with no dings.
but this sounds like excessive impeller/wear ring clearance, which can result from a lot of things. a jet shouldn't be run started/idled in less than 6' of water, else it can suck junk off the bottom which creates wear (of course, you can run in shallower water, you should just understand what is going on when you do it). also, running the engine on the trailer (spinning the pump) causes excessive wear, especially with the road sand that was kicked up into the pump while towing. since you just got this thing, you really have no idea what the internal condition of the pump is, or how it was previously run. a pump should give instant forward motion when you give it gas. there should be no "mushiness". considering the size of the boat, i'd also consider an inducer.
after the pump is in pristine condition (like the rest of your boat), a place diverter would be a good addition.

knee deep
07-08-2008, 03:46 PM
thanks "BP" !!
Hidden valley kid.. my boat runs the same as yours, 55mph top @ 4400rmp and the impeller in there does have some dings and dents.. i have looked into the place diverter now and it looks like it IS in my budget... how much would install cost or is it a saturday job i could do myself?? i found some hydro kits for around $750 on berkleys site.. also looked on eddie marine and found a couple too.. any ideas where i can find a low cost good quality p.d.??

riverbound
07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
you need to get rid of Chanel and give her to me. And then lighten the load more by etting rid of the female passengers you might have....my boat planes out just fine so I will gladly drag them around for you ;)

knee deep
07-09-2008, 04:32 PM
i like the laddies in my boat. thanx! and you could never treat nellers the way she needs to be treated! haha

centerhill condor
07-09-2008, 05:55 PM
so, jenny craig was the right answer, after all!
CC