PDA

View Full Version : How much oil in a stock 455 olds??

avenger73
07-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Hello Guys,...Ive got my boat all ready to go and I cant find the dipstick...Grrr...
Can someone tell me how much oil I need to put in?,... including the oil filter....thanks for any input My Boat is a 73' Avanger with a stock 455 and a Berkeley jet....

jetboatperformance
07-12-2008, 08:22 PM
In a Stock pan 5.0 to 5.5 qts Tom

avenger73
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you my friend!.....
I guess I should get a new dipstick..lol..any ideas....
Thanks again.
Jolee.

dgie
07-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Mondello has a bigger pan and an oiling kit you might want to check out. I have a 455 and not sure if you know, but they have an oiling issue where they like to keep the oil in the heads. The oil to the head needs to be restricted where enough stays in the pan.

Sangster
07-13-2008, 06:09 AM
I hear alot of guys talk about their 455's...Good deals when done right.......The first thing alot of guys do is change the oil pump to a hi-flow deal..Instant suiside... Stay with the stock oil pump & putting the oil restrictors in the heads will help save the motor..Also, run an extra quart of oil in it....

jetboatperformance
07-13-2008, 08:04 AM
I hear alot of guys talk about their 455's...Good deals when done right.......The first thing alot of guys do is change the oil pump to a hi-flow deal..Instant suiside... Stay with the stock oil pump & putting the oil restrictors in the heads will help save the motor..Also, run an extra quart of oil in it....
Good advice ,even when we sell/use a big pan we still use a modified standard volume O/pump Tom
Avenger your dipstick is likley broken flush with the block boss ,use a sheet metal screw and slide hammer to pull it ,If you cant find an Olds dip,go to pep boys or ? and get a Small block ford chrome dip and tube to use refill your crankcase with about 4.5 to 5 qts and mark the stick Call if you need help Tom

75 Eliminator
07-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Anywhere from 5 to 6 quarts, but it depends on what pan and if your running an oil cooler and oil filter relocater.

dgie
07-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Your right about sticking with the stock oil pump, I have the high flow Mondello one in mine, may pull it and go back to stock. I also used ristricted pushrods from Smith Brothers, maybe I can pull them if I go back to stock on the oil pump.