PDA

View Full Version : Pump Overhaul!!!!!!help!!

knee deep
07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Im about to have my pump overhauled. I have had 2 guys look at it and say the impeller is in super bad shape and looks like it has sucked up and punched out some big rocks. 1 guy quoted me complete overhaul and blueprinting of the pump/impeller. Another guy qutoed me at just replacing the impeller and all that goes along with replacing it.
my question is, what happens when my pump is blueprinted? is that somthing that i should do?? is a normal rebuild of a pump/impeller also called "blueprinted"?? please help!! i dont want to pay for somthing i dont need and on the other hand if its a good thing to have its only costing me 300 more than the guy that didnt mention "blueprinting".

HammerDown
07-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Not knowing what kind of HP and speed your boat has I will say, with a good tight pump you'll be more than fine. Now if you're looking to split hairs/shaving ET at the track then yes go with a stage 3 blueprinted pump $$$
How bad are the inlet veins on the bowl, if rounded over you yourself can sharpen the (backside) of each one with a flat file.
Again...a nice tight pump with a good impeller is all you may need.
I'm real happy with my Aggressor Impeller since I started using it some 9 years ago..

riverbound
07-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Im about to have my pump overhauled. I have had 2 guys look at it and say the impeller is in super bad shape and looks like it has sucked up and punched out some big rocks. 1 guy quoted me complete overhaul and blueprinting of the pump/impeller. Another guy qutoed me at just replacing the impeller and all that goes along with replacing it.
my question is, what happens when my pump is blueprinted? is that somthing that i should do?? is a normal rebuild of a pump/impeller also called "blueprinted"?? please help!! i dont want to pay for somthing i dont need and on the other hand if its a good thing to have its only costing me 300 more than the guy that didnt mention "blueprinting".
I would ask both exactly what is ebing done, when I had mine done they replaced the impeller, added a loader, replaced all the seals, etc... adn it was considered a stage 1 blueprint, which pretty much meant put the pump back to stock clearances/tolerances. we did up grade the impeller from a cast piece to a bronze piece.
With as heavy as your boat is, I would definitely look into adding an inducer, It will cost more upfront but will definitely be worth it.

Cas
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Blueprinting is nothing more than someone writing down the specs that the pump is built to. There are differences in the stages as to what is being done to the pump and that's what matters.
Do what riverbound suggested, ask each one exactly what you're going to get for your money.....getting it in writing would be better yet. Ask what the clearances will be, side and thrust, and what kind of impeller and wear ring will be installed.

knee deep
07-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Thank you all!! Having the pump overhauled next week.. setting tolerances back to zero(stock), replacing the the impeller and all that goes with that (wear rings, hardware, etc.), I was told to avoid the enducer and the blue printing unless id be pulling skiers or had some added hp too push it. Im also adding the allmight hyd place diverter! Very Excited!
Thank you All for the replies!!
See you on the water!

bp
07-17-2008, 02:20 PM
your boat looks very nice. hopefully, you didn't use "as cheap as possible" as the criteria for your pump rebuild, because you get what you pay for...
when i bought my cruiser last year, the owner told me it had a "new impeller" that "his mechanic", who does all kinds of boat repair work, had installed after he demolished the old one with rocks. i didn't give it a second thought, pretty sure it had been done "as cheap as possible".
over the winter, i took it to mpd and told jack exactly what i wanted, which is what he did, plus added a blueprinted cavitation reducer. during teardown, they found the impeller shoulder/wear ring tolerance at 0.045+, basically more than twice the spec tolerance - a result of replacing the impeller "as cheap as possible". the old 23' cruiser with a junkyard truck engine went from 47mph/4300rpm to 55mph/4000 rpm, and it is much more responsive at idle and off idle. the "new impeller that was in the pump is resting comfortably on the shelf. my mindset is; the more efficient the pump is, the more economical the boat will be. also, the more bulletproof the pump is, the longer it will last with normal use.
good luck with it...