PDA

View Full Version : New to forum not to drag boats... ready to get back into another boat...

Mike Phillips
07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi all,
First post... sold my boat in 2001, two years after my son was born as it just sat in the garage and gathered dust. Owned it for 20 trouble free years...
1970 Sanger Flat Bottom Drag Boat
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/270SangerDragBoat.jpg
Here's my son Rand about one and a half years old sitting in dad's boat before I sold it.
http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/dragboat3smallerc.jpg
I miss my drag boat, it was the funnest toy I ever owned so I've decided to get back into another Drag Boat, preferrably a Sanger Runner Bottom Bubble Deck V-Drive.
:)

Mike Phillips
07-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Note the stereo bolted to the passenger side head...
I kept this stereo and the mounting bracket I made to bolt it to the head on the engine. You could simply reach back from the drivers seat and turn the stereo on after the engine was turned off of course.
:D

deltaAce
07-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey Mike,
Welcome to Hot Boat forums,
That boat looks crazy wild!!
Owned it for 20 trouble free years...
You must be a good mechanic & keep everything maintained, thats the only way to go!!

Mike Phillips
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I had a great engine builder, Tim Briggs in Oregon, who built my engine and except for over-revving one time and bending a push-rod it was pretty much trouble free.
Every 3 years I would completely dismantle the but, gut it so to speak and the re-assemble the entire thing with all new nuts and bolts as the boat seem to shake and shear things apart. Every time the boat touched water it was floored to speeds over 100 miles per hour so it really seen years of high speed cruising.
Also had the 660 Center Squirters rebuilt a few times to keep them fresh and lively!
Miss the boat, but I got all the best years out of it. Might try to find the guy I sold it to and see if he's still got it and if the hull is still in good shape. If he hasn't wrecked it I would be interested in buying back. Last I know of it's in the Bend, Oregon area.
Miss the boat...

Mike Phillips
07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
An engineer for Teledyne Wa Change ordered the hull new and then raced the boat for about 6-7 years, I was told he ran 122 mph in 9 seconds in 1976.
I've seen his trophy room at his house, it was completely filled with trophies, plaques, newspaper articles, pictures etc.
It was a very fast hull and also more importantly a very stable hull at high speeds.
Way too much fun for 20 great years....
Dang I miss the boat.... have my other toys up for sale to get some boat money together including the very sweet 1975 Jimmy you see in my Avatar.

HammerDown
07-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Welcom to Hot Boat Mike...your boat looks crazy fast!
Now get some wax on it...lol:D

Mrs.Racer277
07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Welcome
Good luck with the drag racing...