PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Vs. Sea-Doo?

wmsthree
07-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey guys! I have this same question posted on another forum but thought I'd ask it here also to get perspective from another audience: If a person had a wad of cash to plunk down on a 2008 model, which is better, the Yamaha jet boats or the Sea-Doo jet boats? Let the arguements and bashing begin. :D

sstjet
07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
This is the jet boat section not the rental boat section. :mad:

Midlake Crisis
07-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey guys! I have this same question posted on another forum but thought I'd ask it here also to get perspective from another audience: If a person had a wad of cash to plunk down on a 2008 model, which is better, the Yamaha jet boats or the Sea-Doo jet boats? Let the arguements and bashing begin. :D
Yamaha rules in reliability. This probably isn't the forum to get the kind of detailed responses you are looking for though - this is more of a "loud V8" jet boat forum.

sstjet
07-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Yamaha rules in reliability. This probably isn't the forum to get the kind of detailed responses you are looking for though - this is more of a "loud V8" jet boat forum.
No this is a jetboat forum, it is not a jetskiboat (lake lice)forum. :messedup:

wmsthree
07-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to offend. Just thought someone on here had experience with these boats. I'll try to post more carefully.

wmsthree
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM
SSTJET, I was talking about the BOATS, they are 23 feet long, not a jet ski. Just wanted you to know.

Midlake Crisis
07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
SSTJET, I was talking about the BOATS, they are 23 feet long, not a jet ski. Just wanted you to know.
They are also faster than 1/2 the boats on this site (including mine), and handle better. :)

hkunz
07-31-2008, 07:20 PM
We saw the aftermath of one that had the "dual engine". One engine died/sucked up a rag/whatever. The boat spun into the rocks, the gal onboard went through the fiberglas and the windshield into the rocks. They weren't going that fast, but the boat shredded, the whole nose was just gone. Seatow/Vessel Assist had to drag them backwards to Topock.:(
If you had a wad of cash, buy a nice jet boat with an engine cover to protect the kids, and make sure it has a BBC for power so parts are cheap(er) and it is easier to fix.
As you've seen here, one of the candidates you listed would easily be confused with a rental, whereas an old Tahiti, or Sanger, or Hawaiian would be a boat with personality. If you are thinking that the ricer jets would be better for fuel mileage, you are picking the wrong hobby:D

LuckyDaze
07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Both boats suck. They are heavy, slow, under powered and use a lot of gasoline. So if you had a "load" of cash to plunk down on a 08 use that load of dough to buy a real boat.

jetboatperformance
08-01-2008, 06:53 AM
I get an amazing amount of calls on these and "Sport jet" powered boats every week for which I can't offer help (not my market) , What I do belive is "you get what you get" ,there doesn't seem to be an "aftermarket" for them at all (goodies Hypo stuff,etc ) I will say I took a 90 hp 16' Bayliner in on trade one season and "drove the wheels" off it for a couple weekends before I sold it WOT was 43 mph ,held it there for the entire lenghth of NAC . It was like renting and riding a Moped :D (ind of fun to do but you don't want your friends to see ya) :D Tom

wmsthree
08-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I was mostly wanting to know because of the appeal of not having a lower unit hanging down to catch logs and other stuff, we boat a lot on the Ouachita River at Calion, Arkansas and it seems every year there's 3 or 4 boats that rip off the lower unit on a submerged log. Maybe I need to get one of Xero's tin cans, they're made to run over stuff, right?

Midlake Crisis
08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I get an amazing amount of calls on these and "Sport jet" powered boats every week for which I can't offer help (not my market) , What I do belive is "you get what you get" ,there doesn't seem to be an "aftermarket" for them at all (goodies Hypo stuff,etc ) I will say I took a 90 hp 16' Bayliner in on trade one season and "drove the wheels" off it for a couple weekends before I sold it WOT was 43 mph ,held it there for the entire lenghth of NAC . It was like renting and riding a Moped :D (ind of fun to do but you don't want your friends to see ya) :D Tom
Tom, you know I think you hung the moon when it comes to jet boats, but he is asking about a whole different thing than the Bayliner.
They Yamaha LS2000 is 2 x 135 = 270hp, 20' long, 0-20 in 3 seconds, tops out at 55 (same as mine), seats 7 people, has multiple storage compartments, swim steps, and handles like a giant jet ski.
As someone mentioned earlier they do lack the classic character of "our" kind of boats, but they are good boats for what they are.

Towndrunk
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Both boats suck. They are heavy, slow, under powered and use a lot of gasoline. So if you had a "load" of cash to plunk down on a 08 use that load of dough to buy a real boat.
And that boat in your avatar is a speed demon. Jeez, give the guy a break.
WMSthree,
I would think either one of them would be a decent boat. I have a Yamaha 1200 three seater and a sea doo 2 seater and they are both good skis. The sea doo is faster than most of these JET boats at 75 mph and the Yamaha is a cruiser that never breaks down at 55 mph. I only mention this because I have both brands but neither is a boat. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them. Here is a link to a site that has more info for you. Good luck.
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/index.php

jetboatperformance
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Guess I'll stick with my loud obnoxiuos American Iron Hot Rods till they get banned ,or legislated away ,like everthing else I love :D
re the Japenese delios ,guess I'm not hip to those Mid ,haven't had the experience but I kind of get the feeling its the diffence between a 70's muscle car and a Accura ??

Midlake Crisis
08-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Guess I'll stick with my loud obnoxiuos American Iron Hot Rods till they get banned ,or legislated away ,like everthing else I love :D
re the Japenese delios ,guess I'm not hip to those Mid ,haven't had the experience but I kind of get the feeling its the diffence between a 70's muscle car and a Accura ??
Nail on the head. Or in my case a '75 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon and a Acura, but yeah. :D

jetboatperformance
08-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I'll keep my "Vista cruiser" :D
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/69%20Schiada/DSC00429.jpg

Midlake Crisis
08-01-2008, 09:21 PM
That is SWEET!
You always have new toys, don't you?
Guess it helps when you own the jet boat shop!

Towndrunk
08-02-2008, 08:21 AM
I'll keep my "Vista cruiser" :D
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/69%20Schiada/DSC00429.jpg
When did they start putting cavitation plates on jet boats.:D

Midlake Crisis
08-02-2008, 09:06 AM
We all know that JetBoatPerformance of Atascadero isn't JUST jets. . . . .

Jetoholic
08-02-2008, 10:52 AM
We all know that JetBoatPerformance of Atascadero isn't JUST jets. . . . .
Matter of fact I do believe they have more v-drives than they have jets. :D

jetboatperformance
08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Matter of fact I do believe they have more v-drives than they have jets. :D
No I have a half dozen Jets ,but I do own 2 V-drive boats :D Re Cav plates on Jets ,heres one in the shop right now :D
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/ufo/DSC00238.jpg

Towndrunk
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
No I have a half dozen Jets ,but I do own 2 V-drive boats :D Re Cav plates on Jets ,heres one in the shop right now :D
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/ufo/DSC00238.jpg
Well strip me naked and smack me silly.:eek: Is the skeg on there for steering just in case? Good idea.:idea:

jetboatperformance
08-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Well strip me naked and smack me silly.:eek: Is the skeg on there for steering just in case? Good idea.:idea:
Hey TD is that a "Mirage" tunnel in your (siggy pic) pic ,years ago saw one rigged as a "Squirt" in HB mag very cool !!

Towndrunk
08-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey TD is that a "Mirage" tunnel in your (siggy pic) pic ,years ago saw one rigged as a "Squirt" in HB mag very cool !!
Yes it is and it's for sale if you know of anyone looking for a blender boat.:D

jetboatperformance
08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
No "Wackers" for this Homie but that would be (sweeter) with a Bad ass V8 and a jet pump :D :D

HammerDown
08-05-2008, 03:59 AM
I still have that same issue...good read for sure.
They shoe horned that BBC in there :D

Towndrunk
08-05-2008, 07:31 AM
No "Wackers" for this Homie but that would be (sweeter) with a Bad ass V8 and a jet pump :D :D
Maybe badder to the ears but it's already faster then the one you speak of was!:D

POPs@AggressorJets
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Couple Things Here: The Marage is one quick Hull. Papp set several Up in Jets as did Gary Snow and won a lot of Races. The builder of that hull is one heads up mother. Last I heard he sold and went to a company called Emirald or somwething. Dont know where he is now.
#2 Yamaha and See Doo Jets are starting to Hurt the O/Drive market with these Hulls and Drives. I have had calls from Hull Manufactures trying to understand Jets and what they can do to offset the sales loss. I have had some limited conversation with See Doo regarding our JR Drive and Dual Jr Drive. When they understand the difference between Axial and Mixed we will then start to see the true capture of market share in Jets and then lookout Props.

Towndrunk
08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Couple Things Here: The Marage is one quick Hull. Papp set several Up in Jets as did Gary Snow and won a lot of Races. The builder of that hull is one heads up mother. Last I heard he sold and went to a company called Emirald or somwething. Dont know where he is now.
#2 Yamaha and See Doo Jets are starting to Hurt the O/Drive market with these Hulls and Drives. I have had calls from Hull Manufactures trying to understand Jets and what they can do to offset the sales loss. I have had some limited conversation with See Doo regarding our JR Drive and Dual Jr Drive. When they understand the difference between Axial and Mixed we will then start to see the true capture of market share in Jets and then lookout Props.
I don't even boat anymore. The Mirage just sits in the garage. I bought the 2 jet skis and thats all I use. One of mine, the 2 seater will hit 70 mph as some jet boaters around Blythe on the Colorado river have found out and the other 3 seater will do 55-60. We went 2 days on 6 gallons each and got all the riding we wanted. With gas @ 3.97 to 4 .29 these are the perfect water vessel. Compare that to 7 bucks for 110 Sunoco and 3 miles per gallon, who needs it?

bp
08-22-2008, 12:15 PM
those 2 and 3 seat deals are nice. don't know if i'd call 'em ski's, or not. i just remember camping at trinity for years, and first thing in the morning, you'd hear those 2 cycle standup skis start and never stop - sounded like chainsaws all day long; obnoxious and irritating, as were the operators trying to run into the skier you were towin, or just run into the boat. the hydraulic pd was very helpful back then... most people i've seen on the newer sitdown types actually operate like they've been on the water before, which is nice.

Midlake Crisis
08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
those 2 and 3 seat deals are nice. don't know if i'd call 'em ski's, or not. i just remember camping at trinity for years, and first thing in the morning, you'd hear those 2 cycle standup skis start and never stop - sounded like chainsaws all day long; obnoxious and irritating, as were the operators trying to run into the skier you were towin, or just run into the boat. the hydraulic pd was very helpful back then... most people i've seen on the newer sitdown types actually operate like they've been on the water before, which is nice.
over the last year I have become very involved with standup jet skiing, and you would be surprised to find out that most of the people who are serious about it are extremely responsible.
Check out the reaction this guy got from the serious standup crowd when he posted about some obnxious behavior he was proud of:
http://www.x-h2o.com/showthread.php?t=42006&highlight=immature
FWIW I have heard a lot more bragging about "drinkin' and boatin'" on the jet boat forums than I have on the PWC forums. I have also personally observed WAY more reckless/dangerous to other boaters/disregard of rules behavior on sitdowns than standups.

bp
08-22-2008, 04:22 PM
believe me, i'm not trying to say one's better than the other. just that 25 years ago, where i camped a lot, i don't think 2-3 seaters were around, and the 2 cycle chainsaw deals were a pita. mainly because of the noise, and that people didn't trust 'em enough to venture more than 1/2 mile from the campground, so we got to listen to it all day long. a side part of it was when you were towing a skier up the arm, nobody else within 1/4 mile, and 2 of 'em would head straight at you... that kind of stuff got old.
my neighbor does the vendor setup for the jet ski championships here in november, so there are definately serious users. there were also a bunch of the high hp 2 seaters out there last year for the marathon, but it got blown out (i was out there as a corner marker, and it was nasty enough that the coast guard said no way).

Towndrunk
08-22-2008, 04:41 PM
I was at Mcintrye camp ground by Blythe the other weekend and there was a whole crowd of those things. They kept coming in and leaving paying no attention to the "NO WAKE" signs until I threatened to kick ones ass if he did it again. The weren't even staying there. Maybe the exception I don't know but I had my boat and my fill of those jack asses.

wolf
08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
(I just gotta say it for old times) HB has a magazine?????:D

LuckyDaze
08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
I don't even boat anymore. The Mirage just sits in the garage. I bought the 2 jet skis and thats all I use. One of mine, the 2 seater will hit 70 mph as some jet boaters around Blythe on the Colorado river have found out and the other 3 seater will do 55-60. We went 2 days on 6 gallons each and got all the riding we wanted. With gas @ 3.97 to 4 .29 these are the perfect water vessel. Compare that to 7 bucks for 110 Sunoco and 3 miles per gallon, who needs it?
I have yet to loose to a Jet Ski, any jet ski for that matter. Any and all that have lined up to me have either not been able to handle the chop, or didn't have the chops to saw me off.
I stand by my first post, they are crap crap crap.
Besides I was under the impression this thread was regarding sea doo boats and the like. Even still, crap.
~Brian

Hiddenvalley-Kid
08-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Be serious guys, I've driven both and my son sold and delivered both on the water in Phoenix. Basicaly they are equal. The problem I have with both is their tendency to suck up anything that is in range of the intake. Can cause a stall in one engine and cause the boat to fade to one direction quickly. The steering is very quick and can be hard to master for someone use to normal jet and outdrive steering. Both sit very high in the water and can be a problem seeing over the bow when in close quarters. Both are very dependable and have good warranty. For someone not boat familiar. both are a great starter or family cruiser. Both can get you in trouble with speed and turns. Saw someone here 2 years ago that slingshoted his kid out of the boat when he saw he was headed for the rocks and turned too quickly. My advise, and not worth a heck of a lot. Buy a 1 or 2 year old cruiser, Carrera, Advantage, Shockwave. Resale is better and overall a much better quality boat.