PDA

View Full Version : O ring

ck7684
08-14-2008, 06:14 AM
I blew out the O ring on the steering nozzle...how important is this to have in place?

jetboatperformance
08-14-2008, 07:29 AM
The O'ring is vital and can cause problems over and above mere nozzle leaks they're inexpensive and simple to replace Call or PM If we can help Tom

Midlake Crisis
08-14-2008, 11:22 AM
The O'ring is vital and can cause problems over and above mere nozzle leaks they're inexpensive and simple to replace Call or PM If we can help Tom
I am curious about this too, and don't remember seeing it covered here before. What other kinds of probs does it cause?

HammerDown
08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
The steering and diverter O-ring keep the ball and socket centered and from rubbing together, this helps eliminate metal to metal contact thus saving expensive parts to replace. Also, the O-rings help make a tight seal so the thrust goes out the nozzle end and not the joints.
Over time from fine silt/soot/debris in the water the O-ring will wear down and also some material from the socket as well. I've built the 'socket' void up with HD Poxy Putty with very good results.
*To cut it short...make sure the O-Rings are in and in good shape, they're there for a reason and it's a good one.
PS...same thing goes for the nylon bushings used at the large pins.

ck7684
08-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the input. I have a new O ring ordered, but I wont be able to get it installed right away and I have plans to take the boat out this weekend. My sister is home visiting from the USAF and wants a ride, and I wont see her again till next year. I should be OK to run around the lake a few times, right?

HammerDown
08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
... My sister is home visiting from the USAF and wants a ride, and I wont see her again till next year. I should be OK to run around the lake a few times, right?
Don't expect me to say...sure do it :D
Your reason for wanting to use the boat is a good one however, I wouldn't suggest doing so without the o-rings in place. Now if you must, and you gouge into the socket and ruin the receiving lip for the o-ring...you won't be a happy camper later. $$$ :cry:
Again, I've made some nice repairs to the socket side from normal wear but...if the receving lip for the o-ring gets messed up the o-ring will have nothing to snap into.

bp
08-15-2008, 03:19 PM
even with the o-ring, the socket will eventually wear out. i'm not even suggesting you run without the o-ring, but the o-ring wouldn't just fall out or fail on it's own. your socket may already be too far gone, or your pins might be loose.
i understand the poxy putty fix, but i've had poxy putty slowy chip away from other places, and i just can't tolerate that in this area. socket wear is why i have a new amt droop this year. and i never ran without an o-ring.

HammerDown
08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
...i understand the poxy putty fix, but i've had poxy putty slowy chip away from other places, and i just can't tolerate that in this area. socket wear is why i have a new amt droop this year. and i never ran without an o-ring.
No "chipping away" when I fill and contour the socket but even 'feathered' wear. I make it a nice snug fit with a little even drag...lasts a few years before it needs more attention, unless one always boats in shallow sandy water.

ck7684
08-18-2008, 03:30 AM
The old O-ring looked like it had been cut, and had blown part of it out. I had to pull the rest out...hopefully everything is OK. New O ring should be here tommorrow...

bp
08-18-2008, 07:35 AM
No "chipping away" when I fill and contour the socket but even 'feathered' wear. I make it a nice snug fit with a little even drag...lasts a few years before it needs more attention, unless one always boats in shallow sandy water.
there are a few areas in my pump that are filled and contoured with poxy putty, that have to be touched up and redone every few years. but, this is in an area where a small chunk missing doesn't impact performance. any change around the nozzle area would impact what i do. if it works well for ya, great. but for what i do, don't want to mess around with it.