PDA

View Full Version : Header Coatings

KONAKID
08-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Has anybody ever tried the do it yourself coatings for headers? is it a P.I.T.A. ? does it work very good?
also has anybody had a set of headers powder coated? how well does it hold to the heat with water injection?
also what are the costs? :confused: :confused:
Thanks

Cas
08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Has anybody ever tried the do it yourself coatings for headers? is it a P.I.T.A. ? does it work very good?
also has anybody had a set of headers powder coated? how well does it hold to the heat with water injection?
also what are the costs? :confused: :confused:
Thanks
I haven't done the DIY header coating but I did use the Silver High Temp coating from Eastwood.com (http://www.eastwoodco.com/). It worked real well for what I used it for and most importantly, the customer was very happy. Eastwood has all kinds of really good products including a hot coat powder coat.
I don't think regular powder coating would hold up to the heat real well after a few times out.

KONAKID
08-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I am assuming you have too remove all the chrome. does it sandblast off pretty easy.?

IMPATIENT 1
08-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I am assuming you have too remove all the chrome. does it sandblast off pretty easy.?
the coater will handle the prep work, or if you're doin it yoself, blast them with alum oxide, clean the hell outta them, then bake them for 25-30minutes to get any oils out, clean again with a solvent free cleaner, then shoot the pc coat on, bake it.