PDA

View Full Version : Motorhome?????

johnny8052
09-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I am looking to buy a motorhome. I have heard that fleetwood and winnibago are the best, but how about gulf stream? I went looking today and saw the perfect floor plan (for me) in a gulf stream conquest. I was at mike thompson's rv yesterday and was told to stay away from gulfstream, (probably because they are competiors). The motorhome i looked at was a
27' with 2 slide outs. I also heard to go with the ford e450 v-10 and not with the chevy any info on this quagmire would be greatly appreciated. Thanks........Johnny

MRS.TNB
09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
check out the classaf's over on P/B theirs a couple very nice ones forsale;)

boxscore
09-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I am looking to buy a motorhome. I have heard that fleetwood and winnibago are the best, but how about gulf stream? I went looking today and saw the perfect floor plan (for me) in a gulf stream conquest. I was at mike thompson's rv yesterday and was told to stay away from gulfstream, (probably because they are competiors). The motorhome i looked at was a
27' with 2 slide outs. I also heard to go with the ford e450 v-10 and not with the chevy any info on this quagmire would be greatly appreciated. Thanks........Johnny
I had a 32 Fleetwood Southwind Ford V-10. Entry level, 2 slides. In the end, not happy with the size, holding tanks included, nor the power. Ended up with a 40' diesel pusher. I get the same mileage.. about 10 mpg. Unbelievable difference in our enjoyment. My advice... find a used and good quality diesel. Country Coach, Monaco, etc. New gas 27' $60-80K. Used 38' diesel $80- 120K. You'll find it's value when you wanna use it a lot more... guaranteed. Good luck.

justfloatn
09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
The best advice you can get will be from mechanics and service advisors. The dealer will give you the low down on what they carry and an independent will tell you about all of them. Never trust the salesman just head to the service dept and talk to an advisor or the shop foreman if they will let you.
I will say that Winnebago has the most advanced parts system and inventory ib older coaches for fixing a used one. In the motorhome world old is 5yrs, junk is 10yrs. Most of the smaller mfg's put whatever they can get on sale in the coach and they may or maynot carry the part two years later. They do not have to follow the 10yr law the auto mfg's have to follow.

revndave
09-05-2008, 05:21 AM
I have a 2002 35 Georgie Boy w/ 2 slides and on the Ford V10 chassis.I also have the Banks Power system installed.Its good for about 80 extra hp.I love my v10.Just can't get use to the high revving sounds.It sounds like an import.

08username
09-05-2008, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't disagree with Boxscore's advice. The problem with most of these smaller motorhomes is that they are built on a truck chassis. Then the builders mount a huge box on it, and the owners load it with tons of stuff. The weight renders the brakes barely adequate. I have a friend that was returning to Washington from South Dakota over the Rockies, and had to use a tractor-trailer, brake failure run-off roadway! Even when not crossing the big mountains, his rig just eats pads and rotors. His is a few years old, though. Maybe a new one would have a transmission with the tow/haul feature that my truck has. That feature is great when I'm hauling my travel trailer.

boxscore
09-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't disagree with Boxscore's advice. The problem with most of these smaller motorhomes is that they are built on a truck chassis. Then the builders mount a huge box on it, and the owners load it with tons of stuff. The weight renders the brakes barely adequate. I have a friend that was returning to Washington from South Dakota over the Rockies, and had to use a tractor-trailer, brake failure run-off roadway! Even when not crossing the big mountains, his rig just eats pads and rotors. His is a few years old, though. Maybe a new one would have a transmission with the tow/haul feature that my truck has. That feature is great when I'm hauling my travel trailer.
Monaco and Country Coach build THEIR OWN chassis'
My Monaco 40' pusher has air brakes that are unbelievable in their performance. That's why I mentioned shopping for a "quality" pusher that has things like full air brakes and engine brakes. It's a different world from gas coaches. 32-36' gas coach is not fun to drive.

BoatPI
09-10-2008, 12:43 PM
My neighbor has a three year old COuntry Coach, diesel pusher 36'. Very nice, look at Country Coachs and all of the repos and old floks that cannot affort to run them at $4.00 diesel.

2forcefull
09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I had a 32 Fleetwood Southwind Ford V-10. Entry level, 2 slides. In the end, not happy with the size, holding tanks included, nor the power. Ended up with a 40' diesel pusher. I get the same mileage.. about 10 mpg. Unbelievable difference in our enjoyment. My advice... find a used and good quality diesel. Country Coach, Monaco, etc. New gas 27' $60-80K. Used 38' diesel $80- 120K. You'll find it's value when you wanna use it a lot more... guaranteed. Good luck.
someone needs to teach you how to figure gas milage.....LMFAO!!!!!

Tom N
09-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Call Winnebago Man for the best deals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWUWPx2VeQ

Beer-30
09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I drove a 32 footer with 8.1/Allison, 6 adults - towing a 21' Malibu tourny boat all the way to Havasu (337 miles one-way) and back. 2.6 mpg going out (70 mph) and 2.9 coming back (55 mph).
One thing I have learned from being around weight, trailers, and RVs most of my life: Anything over 26-27 feet SHOULD BE DIESEL. That is just too much work for a gas motor to do for that many miles.
The money you spend on diesel will save you the more expensive cost of wear and tear (repairs).
Look at the exhaust manifolds on any gas MH in the 30-foot range. They are a nice furnace-like, brown, scorched color. Too much heat, too much work.

boxscore
09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
someone needs to teach you how to figure gas milage.....LMFAO!!!!!
Heh? wow

revndave
09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Buy a gas RV and put the Banks system on it.:D

hkunz
09-15-2008, 08:35 PM
NOT!
I have to chime in on the pusher side - we had two gas RVs and then got the desiel. Night and day in driving experience, and the fuel MPG almost doubled. Of course, we tow 6700 pounds - a steel Carson HD trailer with a rock crawler Jeep on it.

revndave
09-16-2008, 06:04 AM
I get about 10mpg.I tow about 4000lbs.(24 ft flat bed load with dirt toys and gear).All I know is my RV is fast.The Banks system does wonders for power and mileage.

MadPoodle
09-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Have a 35' Fourwinds Fun Mover. Kodiak 5500 chassis, Duramax with Allison.. Fully loaded, two scoots in the back, 22' boat in tow, 65MPH it gets 10MPG.. Above 65 the box kite syndrome kicks in, and the mileage plummets.
I looked at several manufacturers and styles before settling on this one. Overall, it filled my needs the best..

thatguy
09-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Please do not do this.

GunninGopher
09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
I have a 2000 Winnebago Brave. It is an entry level 29' rig. It is on a 1999 Workhose (formerly Chevy) Chassis.
I'm pretty sure Winnebago offers Allison tranny's on all their gas models now, which is pretty sweet. I have an alli on my Truck, and I know that these tranny's are built with much stronger componants than Ford chassis offer at this time.
I am very happy with the quality of build, even for our entry level model. Winnebago knows how to build motorhomes, they practically invented it. Having said that, as far as looks go, I have to say that the Fleetwood Bounder is always the best looking rig (in its class) on the road for its year.
If you tow anything but a car flat and/or or a 22' or less boat I'd stay away from a class C. I have a Manx and a 19' jet daycruiser, and I'd feel OK towing those with any Class C, which I used to own. Nowadays I put Manx in a 26' trailer and I'm glad I have the class A.

Sherpa
09-29-2008, 08:58 AM
great responses here guys...
I am contemplating a mh purchase also. it's either a fleetwood 31w class C
with a ford v10, or,
seneca 35 foot kodiak chassis duramax/allison.
I will either be towing a 19 foot tourny boat, or a minivan (for road trips).
to the guy who got 2.xx mpg while towing.... OMG. are those real numbers?
I'd freak knowing how much fuel was going thru that motor....
what kind of number could a guy get with either of those 2 moho I listed-?
super big thanks for the input. I'm about ready to pull the trigger.
--Sherpa

Beer-30
09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
great responses here guys...
I am contemplating a mh purchase also. it's either a fleetwood 31w class C
with a ford v10, or,
seneca 35 foot kodiak chassis duramax/allison.
I will either be towing a 19 foot tourny boat, or a minivan (for road trips).
to the guy who got 2.xx mpg while towing.... OMG. are those real numbers?
I'd freak knowing how much fuel was going thru that motor....
what kind of number could a guy get with either of those 2 moho I listed-?
super big thanks for the input. I'm about ready to pull the trigger.
--Sherpa
Take a 1-ton pickup with a V10. Load all of the lumber and insulation, wiring, appliances, plumbing and such to build a 35' house on it. Then increase the fuel tank from, what, 26 or so gallons to 100 AND add on 120 gallons of water. Then, after all of that weight it loaded onto the pickup take some plywood and make the front of it flat as a pancake from the bumper up to the 13-foot mark. Oh, and hook a boat to the back. How would you think it would do on fuel? You are asking for EVERYTHING that motor has to give. These are traded in alot for diesels, and there is a reason. Nothing that big should have a gas motor in it. Period.
The numbers were from the fuel computer that showed real-time mileage and average. The crew of 4 that was with the wife and I on that trip were freaking out about how much fuel it was using and blamed it on me driving 68-70.
So, on the return trip, I kept it at 55 the whole way. They were crying about how long it was taking, but I told them I was proving a point. We got 2.9 vs. the 2.6 going out. I will say that it was brand new and the motor was tight. But, basically we were just asking full dyno power out of it to pull itself AND the boat AND 100 gals of fuel AND 120 gals of water AND 6 people, etc, etc.

Sherpa
09-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Beer30,
thanks for the insight.... I had a hard time thinking that could have been
possible. I wasn't doubting your input whatsoever..... those numbers are
just horrible.... 2.6, 2.9, 3.2--whatever.... big time ouch... I can see the
others thinking you were at fault... good for you for holding firm to the
I can only drive 55 to show your point... big fat deal if it came up to 2.9..
man, now I almost have to throw out my thoughts on that "little" 31 footer
gas motor combo....
this moho stuff is not exactly small change for my crew to absorb... I like
the bigger class A rigs, but we camp at alot of higher elevation/small
mountain type lakes. the big class A's usually don't come up around where
we camp... so my thought was a 31 footer class C (I need that overhead
bunk)
--I have another unit in mind.... one of those super C's .kodiak-based
chevy cab, cabover bunk, 35 foot, etc.... the bigger price ticket is not so
dollar freindly for us, but 2.9 mpg would make me never want to take the
rig out anyway..
thanks for the input.!
--Sherpa

Beer-30
10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Beer30,
thanks for the insight.... I had a hard time thinking that could have been
possible. I wasn't doubting your input whatsoever..... those numbers are
just horrible.... 2.6, 2.9, 3.2--whatever.... big time ouch... I can see the
others thinking you were at fault... good for you for holding firm to the
I can only drive 55 to show your point... big fat deal if it came up to 2.9..
man, now I almost have to throw out my thoughts on that "little" 31 footer
gas motor combo....
this moho stuff is not exactly small change for my crew to absorb... I like
the bigger class A rigs, but we camp at alot of higher elevation/small
mountain type lakes. the big class A's usually don't come up around where
we camp... so my thought was a 31 footer class C (I need that overhead
bunk)
--I have another unit in mind.... one of those super C's .kodiak-based
chevy cab, cabover bunk, 35 foot, etc.... the bigger price ticket is not so
dollar freindly for us, but 2.9 mpg would make me never want to take the
rig out anyway..
thanks for the input.!
--Sherpa
I wouldn't throw the idea out all together. Just wait a little longer and get a nice diesel. You won't be sorry. And, as suggested, look at used. People are upgrading all the time. There are some nice rigs out there for a steal. You can get so much more rig for the money than brand new. Remember, RVs are like boats, they are, for the most part, SEASONAL. They don't get near the mileage that our day to day cars get.

GunninGopher
10-08-2008, 10:22 PM
My 29' Class A with a Vortec 454 gets between 6 and 9 MPG (wind and load make the difference). I drive right around 65 most of the time. I way overload the thing, too, during desert season.
I can't imagine what I'd have to do to get 2 MPG. My old 1977 26' Class C with a 460 got 6 MPG. If you're getting 2MPG with anything but an M1 abrams, then something is definitely wrong.