PDA

View Full Version : Holy Sh*t!

grads2112
09-07-2008, 01:49 AM
I did a little math and after food, drinks, fuel, insurance and the boat payment, it cost me about $1500 every time I took the boat out this year. I need to rethink this.:hammer2: What's your cost and is it worth it?

thatguy
09-07-2008, 06:42 AM
I did a little math and after food, drinks, fuel, insurance and the boat payment, it cost me about $1500 every time I took the boat out this year. I need to rethink this.:hammer2: What's your cost and is it worth it?
Take it out twice as much and it will lower your average cost. Don't worry about the total, a "real King" doesn't.
The Miller cost me about $2500.00 per trip for 7 trips. (Blew it up)
The Hydro is standing at $4,100.00 a trip for 3 trips. Mostly purchase price. (Although $8.00 a gallon fuel adds up fast at 10 gallons every 15 minutes)
The only cost effective boat I have is the Flattie.
Cost about $70.00 to fill it and it NEVER breaks.
Go for 2 days on one fill up.
None of these count towing, launch fee's or food and drinks. Strictly boat costs.
Frankly, You have it made!:D

rshrp2003
09-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Don't even wan't to think about it . but probably less than half that. I know that I spent about 150 in gas between the boat and truck every trip. I don't know if it is worth it but for now I still have the bug and i'm not planning on taking money to the grave with me. I want to spend it while I can still enjoy it.... just my 2 cents
What about a pontoon boat.

jammin
09-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Even more scary break it down to the hour cost then break it down to the estimated cost per mile, (you know all that time in no wake zones) then compare that to your auto costs per mile (which we all think are to much). You will come to realize how much you REALLY love a day on the lake or you will want to shoot yourself.

hoolign
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
With C-14 at 670.00 a barrel that lasts me about 2 hours. Somedays 2 barrels a day not including truck fuel, insurance or beer..yeah..it's worth it!!!

HammerDown
09-07-2008, 12:50 PM
It's only money, spend it and make some more.
If I don't have it...I can't afford it.

grads2112
09-07-2008, 01:26 PM
The Miller cost me about $2500.00 per trip for 7 trips. (Blew it up)
The Hydro is standing at $4,100.00 a trip for 3 trips. Mostly purchase price. (Although $8.00 a gallon fuel adds up fast at 10 gallons every 15 minutes)
That makes me feel a little better.:D

deltaAce
09-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Just ask your passengers to chip in $450. each................................:D

damdonzi
09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
It's worth every penny:)

Ziggy
09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
We just amde a trip that cost me $100 in boat fuel, 600miles round trip in the truck(Dsl) and food.....all in all the 4 days cost me around $450'ish.

90mphRAGE
09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey deltaAce, where did you find your friends?
I was able to get my body to run on beer, now just need to figure out how to get a big block to burn it!

HDF WATERDOG
09-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Holy Sh*t is right. Cost me $1628.28 per trip. That includes anything and every thing. Day on the water, $748.13. Cost per hour to run the motor, $308.59. My time on the water, Priceless.

90mphRAGE
09-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Why pay today when you can put it off till tomorrow. Repeat this practice each day until you find no more tomorrow.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but mine is the only one that counts.

pvhca
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
That's some big numbers, you guy's must run non-stop all day, what did Grads say something like $1k plus per( I think), I'd say the numbers are probably based on a 3 day or 4 day weekend, all except those running race fuel, I know that runs $18-$22 per gallon. I run a 509/600HP and I can go no problem two full weekends on 65-75 gallons at $3.99 per that's $300 basically. I may not go non-stop but thats running pretty steady. I think there's some exaggeration(SP) going on here, IMO.

thatguy
09-17-2008, 06:01 PM
That's some big numbers, you guy's must run non-stop all day, what did Grads say something like $1k plus per( I think), I'd say the numbers are probably based on a 3 day or 4 day weekend, all except those running race fuel, I know that runs $18-$22 per gallon. I run a 509/600HP and I can go no problem two full weekends on 65-75 gallons at $3.99 per that's $300 basically. I may not go non-stop but thats running pretty steady. I think there's some exaggeration(SP) going on here, IMO.
I can say with 100% honesty, "I wish I was exaggerating".

grads2112
09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
No exaggeration here. I figure I went out less than 20 times this year but lets round it off to 20 for arguements sake. Monthly boat payment is $1500/month, insurance is $500/month and storage is $250/month for a grand total of $2250 a month. Multiply that times 12 months and you get $27,000 a year, divide that by the 20 times I went out this year and you get $1350 each time the boat left the trailer. And that does not include gas, food drinks, lodging and repairs. So I probably underestimated it by saying $1500 because it is probably closer to $2000 each time.:confused:

26 kachina
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
There is an easy fix to all this just don't add it up. Start the boat up and head out for the day, everything else willwork it's self out. :idea:

thatguy
09-18-2008, 07:20 AM
There is an easy fix to all this just don't add it up. Start the boat up and head out for the day, everything else will work it's self out. :idea:
The best post yet!!
PS- Hey Grads, What is this boat payment you speak of? I thought baller's and "Kings" paid cash and only carried liability?

hoolign
09-18-2008, 07:25 AM
No exaggeration here. I figure I went out less than 20 times this year but lets round it off to 20 for arguements sake. Monthly boat payment is $1500/month, insurance is $500/month and storage is $250/month for a grand total of $2250 a month. Multiply that times 12 months and you get $27,000 a year, divide that by the 20 times I went out this year and you get $1350 each time the boat left the trailer. And that does not include gas, food drinks, lodging and repairs. So I probably underestimated it by saying $1500 because it is probably closer to $2000 each time.:confused:
Shit I didnt take the purchace price into account here..just what it costs to run per trip..1300 + bucks for an afternoon of runnin ..fuel only :D

Cas
09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Hmmmm, I've got one of those fuel inefficient jet boats so I gotta be paying alot. Let me see-
no payment
insurance-$230.00 per year
fuel cost (boat) - usually about $40/day when just cruising, $50 or so when hot rodding
fuel cost (tow vehicle) - anywhere from about $30. to Berryessa and back, $160 to Shasta and back, somewhere in between for other places.
food and refreshments - anywhere from $40.00 to $200. (depends on length of stay
camping- $15. to $200. (depends on length of stay)
Our 5 days at Shasta this past year cost us about $800. and that included renting a pontoon boat 1 of the days :)
just boils down to what each of us can afford but in any case, the memories are priceless :)

pvhca
09-18-2008, 09:43 AM
I can say with 100% honesty, "I wish I was exaggerating".
That's why in my post I excluded you!!:D

pvhca
09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I was thinking a weekend thing, ie. fuel, hotel etc. Not payment.

HDF WATERDOG
09-18-2008, 02:36 PM
3 day week, Sun thru Wed, cost me $548.14 on average. Breakfast lunch and dinners alone adds up quick.

Havasu Carrera
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Up till this summer I was at about 2k pr hour of run time!! Yah!
Now I just float around.
Or bum a ride.
The Sterling was my best bang for the buck! I actually made money on that one!
Oh and the STV doesnt cost a dime in the garage!
I'm rowing next year!:idea: :D

HDF WATERDOG
10-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Dam, my run time runs at $300 per hour. Of course I think that's cheap for the good times had.

Cat sass
10-08-2008, 04:55 AM
If you are looking for a real answer, then here it is-
You have to buy an older boat, one that will not depreciate much for the couple years that you have it. One that you can sell for about what you paid for it. If you got to have the latest bling , then it's gonna cost you bigtime!
Next, you have to choose your boating buddys wisely. I would never pay $1500 to go boating for the day, but I would gladly pitch $100 at a friend to go with them, and know that I'm getting off real cheap! Anyone that has or has had a boat understands the cost involved with taking it out for the day, and will usually try to pitch in for drinks or gas or something.
So now you got a boat that costs you little to nothing, maybe just interest if you had to finance it, one guy pitching in for gas, and maybe another guy bringin an 18 pack........and presto-you're all boating and having a blast for $100 a trip. Then you can put the other $1400 in your IRA or something, maybe save it for the kids college, right?
Party on!:)

justfloatn
10-08-2008, 06:59 AM
I agree Todd and think I fit that formula to a tee.
To compare boating to other activities. The Wife and I took the kids to S.F. last Saturday to spend the day at the Fisherman's Warf & Pier 39; Gas, food, parking, entry to the aquarium, ect = $212.00 day. I can go boating for about $60.00. I float a lot and have a stock motor;) :D
But to play devils advocate. If I had the means to have a boat like Greg I would plunk down $1,500.00 a day no problem.

grads2112
10-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Anyone that has or has had a boat understands the cost involved with taking it out for the day, and will usually try to pitch in for drinks or gas or something.
I'm calling B.S. on this because I know Ken goes boating with you.:D

grads2112
10-08-2008, 07:02 AM
But to play devils advocate. If I had the means to have a boat like Greg I would plunk down $1,500.00 a day no problem.
Well I surely don't have the means to have a boat like Greg.:idea:

justfloatn
10-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Well I surely don't have the means to have a boat like Greg.:idea:
Sorry...I should have said; If I had the means to have a boat like Mrs. Daytona;) :D :D

Cat sass
10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm calling B.S. on this because I know Ken goes boating with you.:D
LOL, he's not so bad, believe it or not, he's always the first one to pitch in for gas, or buy lunch;)

HTM2
10-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Hi everyone,
Well let me start off by saying if you have to figure out how much your 250,000 boat cost every time you take it out than you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place, when it come to good friends, family or just being out on the lake with your spouse than does money really matter. If you buy the right boat for you and your family, than the price comes down every year you own it, so buy one that will never go out of style, and one you can dress up. Times are hard right now, do you really want to sit around the house to save a buck you work all week for your money for what, save it so the stock market can spend it for you. I like to see my money, and I see it in my boat, my four wheelers, my cars, and buggy's, things I like when I have a day off. So think about this, your boat is your prize so quit adding and come out and play, it is almost dune time........ have a great weekend whatever you can afford.:idea:

grads2112
10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Times are hard right now, do you really want to sit around the house to save a buck you work all week for your money for what, save it so the stock market can spend it for you. I like to see my money, and I see it in my boat, my four wheelers, my cars, and buggy's, things I like when I have a day off. :
Live like that in the current economic times and some people might not have a house to sit around in.:idea:

grads2112
12-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm having a tough time justifying this considering I haven't even laid eyes on my boat in over two months.:(

HDF WATERDOG
12-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm having a tough time justifying this considering I haven't even laid eyes on my boat in over two months.:(
Havn't been for two months and I'm not going for three more. $1000 plus and I can't even look at it. It'll be worth it come Spring though.

frosted tips
12-26-2008, 09:58 PM
If you are looking for a real answer, then here it is-
You have to buy an older boat, one that will not depreciate much for the couple years that you have it. One that you can sell for about what you paid for it. If you got to have the latest bling , then it's gonna cost you bigtime!
Next, you have to choose your boating buddys wisely. I would never pay $1500 to go boating for the day, but I would gladly pitch $100 at a friend to go with them, and know that I'm getting off real cheap! Anyone that has or has had a boat understands the cost involved with taking it out for the day, and will usually try to pitch in for drinks or gas or something.
So now you got a boat that costs you little to nothing, maybe just interest if you had to finance it, one guy pitching in for gas, and maybe another guy bringin an 18 pack........and presto-ypou're all boating and having a blast for $100 a trip. Then you can put the other $1400 in your IRA or something, maybe save it for the kids college, right?
Party on!:)the deal with grads and mrs daytona is they are to kind .if your there friend or stranger youll be well taking care of

grads2112
12-26-2008, 10:52 PM
the deal with grads and mrs daytona is they are to kind .if your there friend or stranger youll be well taking care of
Thanks Jory for the kind words.... I'll try and get by your house with that $100 bill.:)

justfloatn
12-29-2008, 10:06 AM
the deal with grads and mrs daytona is they are to kind .if your there friend or stranger youll be well taking care of
Thanks Jory for the kind words.... I'll try and get by your house with that $100 bill.:)
Now if he would man up on the bet he lost and give you that front row spot at SOS then your problem in the first quote would be solved.:jawdrop: :devil: :D