PDA

View Full Version : checkmate boats

wild willy
10-22-2001, 06:38 AM
hello guys; i recently bought a new 27ft checkmate boat with 500 hp motor and the new zx drive. prop is 25 3 blade mirage plus. it wants to blow out when bringing the boat on plane. it doesn't matter if the tabs are down are not. i have contacked checkmate boats on more than one occasion and all they tell me is mercury mirage 3 bldes are junk. i was told to have the prop blue printed which i did it did not help. i contacked tom the owner of hydromotive engineering and told him about my problem. he is familar with checkmate boats and says they use a high x- diminison on ther hull. and this is what causes this problem. when i ask checkmate about all i get is the run around. they act as if this is just my problem and not theirs. i can't believe that someone who has bee building boats for 38 years can't solve this problem and don't seen to give a damm about this problem. do any of other chekmate boat owners have this problem/ are is it just me// what brand of props are you guys running?? and what pitch?? thanks bill
[This message has been edited by wild willy (edited November 29, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by wild willy (edited December 05, 2001).]

Havasu Hangin'
10-22-2001, 06:59 AM
I don't know anything about Checkmate, but I've been through a few props. Diameter, not pitch cured my blowout. 3/4" diameter made a big difference on a 3 blade, for me. The smaller diameter would even break loose on a hard turn.
For me, the three blade, smaller diameter props had more top end (in a straight line), but the larger diameter 3 blade, and 4 blade props had the best bite, but I lost a little on the top end.
Once I got good bite, then I played with pitch.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

Eric1969
10-23-2001, 05:22 AM
I have been looking at also purchasing a Checkmate and have discussed this with the Sales Manager here in Atlanta. He was very knowledgeable and he may offer some advice on how to fix it. Let me know if you want his name and number. He would let you pick his brain.
I would also check out offshoreonly.com. Very good website for this type of question.
Good luck.

not guilty
10-23-2001, 01:00 PM
Gotta go withh H H on this one.Had the same problem with my MACH-1,as soon as the bow started to settle the prop blew.Couldnt turn for S@*T either.Went up 1/2" in diameter and solved everything.Kept same pitch (25)so lost about 200-300 RPM,but doing a little motor work this winter.My MACH is set up with a high X-dim. too,the hulls are pretty close resemblence,but dont know about constuctiuon.If your WOT RPM is about right just remember to take out about 1" pitch for every 1/4" added in diam.I see your from Indiana,Steve at ILL. MARINE TECH in peoria Ill. made me sweet deal on a TURBO LIGHTNING prop for mine(OMC),believe he had a couple large diam. for merc on the shelf.E-mail me and I'll check if your interested.

tcronin
10-28-2001, 10:50 PM
Wild Willie, I own a 261 Persauder and have tried alot of different props. It is making 645 hp and was blowing out all mirage props. I tried 2 different props from hydromotive. The best they could do for me was a Turbo. All the 4 blades twisted the boat so bad under acceleration it would roll on its side. The best prop for mine seems to be my GTL prop from Bronson Hill. All the replies I have seen are right on though. More diameter will stop the blow out. E-mail me if I can help you get it flying. Checkmate is a very good boat. I have had a couple of them and they always land straight. Thats a plus at speeds over 80. In Checkmates defense the Dealer is the one who usually selects the prop. Often right from there own inventory.

Tinkerboater
11-12-2001, 06:40 PM
Because you have a 27 ft. boat with a single engine-drive package your boat will be harder to get on plane. Does it only blow out when you hammer on it or can you ease it onto plane? The 3 blade prop will be the fastest prop for the boat. If you feel you need to solve this problem go to a 24 pitch BRAVO 1 prop I would suggest buying it already Lab finished. This will keep your RPM about the same as it is now. I have a 34 scarab with twin 600 hp I had the same problem. I now spin 26 pitch BRAVO 1 props at 5400rpm at 75 mph and no blowout.

Margin
11-28-2001, 06:00 PM
I have 270 BR Checkmate with a 26 pitch bravo
and it works great - quick on plane and no blowout. I don't know which dealer gave you a three blade and the run around but my dealer has done a lot of testing on the 270's and insists that the 4 blade bravo is the only way to go with the HP 500. He tried 3 blades when testing my boat and blew them out all day long - that hp 500 has too much punch for the Mirage. Also, I think the 24 bravo would get into the rev limiter as mine runs about 5200 with the 26 pitch, and, being a bow rider, is about 400lbs heavier than the closed deck version, which I assume you have. If you have any questions feel free to emial me. Marginmn@aol.com

splasher
12-12-2001, 08:40 AM
Wild Willy, I've got a 2000 Checkmate ZT 280 with the 502 and Bravo Drive. I'm spinning a Bravo 1 24 4 blade and have never had any problems with blow out even while making hard turns under power. I agree with the prior post's in that your dealer has dropped the ball here. Mine had done considerable testing on this boat with several props and told me hands down which prop i should have, and told me to stay away from the 3 blade mirage for the reasons you sighted. I never use my tabs to plane the boat and have nothing but good things to say about it and the performance from my prop. I'd borrow a friends bravo1 4 blade and give it a try. Hope this helps. Good luck.