PDA

View Full Version : 1st run: Likely source of fast leak on Berk pump?

dregsz
10-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi all,
Well we got the new motor in and all hooked up on what I thought was the tail end of my 78' Glastron Carlson CVX 20 Resto,
Did a lap around on the river, all good, came back to ramp, and when getting on the trailer, found an inch of water to the helm position, up to the exhaust logs in back.
Any Ideas what may have caused water to come in so quick?
It was 9pm and dark so no ideas yet, will run at the ramp this Weekend, but what Ideas come to mind that would let water in so quick.
Just rebuilt the motor and didn't go thru the pump. I was told, last in good working order. It's a Berk JE12 w the cables on starboard,(right) side of pump)
This is my first jet boat so don't know the ins and outs
Boat had not run or been in water in 5 years prior to tonight.
1) the plug was in
2)could be the big ol exhaust thru hulls/hose connector
3)lots of 5200 around both cable boots but I doubt that could have filled it so fast
My concern from lack of knowledge about pumps,
Is there a large internal boot or bellow that I should be thinking about, my big fear is that it's the joint between hull and cav plate/ride plate etc and I'll have to pull everything out again to reseal.
I know there are lots of variables to consider here, just asking if there are any likely culprits that frequently plague this model Berk that I should check first.
Thanks
Evan

Cas
10-02-2008, 10:48 PM
there are a couple of areas where the water could be coming in. I think it would be best to just back it into the water without taking it off the trailer. You should be able to get a good idea where the water is coming in by doing so.
First check without the engine running to see if it's leaking. If not, fire it off and check it all again.
BTW, you'd be surprised how fast water will get in even with the smallest of leaks.

jrork
10-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Hey hey! Congrats Evan. Looking forward to hooking up with you. I think Steves right, leave it on the trailer and check.
Let me know iff'n you need an extra set of eyes.

jetboatperformance
10-03-2008, 07:26 AM
E and F "Insert type jets " like the one in your Glastron very seldom leak in thier original set up configuration . The jet suction is originally bedded in epoxy and particularly in Glastron (we own 2) this process is very well done . If the leak is not "static" (boat setting on the trailer in the water as suggested above) I would look to the pump packing gland adjustment and double check all your water line connections , block plugs (petcocks) etc . I f the problem becomes "illusive " one can adapt an auto type cooling system pressure tester to check quite easily to test and inspect Call or post up if you need more help Tom

dregsz
10-03-2008, 05:17 PM
I helps to check during daylight.
Turned out to be
1) cap missing from water inlet on pump
2) badly seated intake, water in motor, bolts were too long
3) bad sealing surface btw heads and logs
I blame it on shody QC by the mechanic
replace cap
clean H2O out of motor, use shorter intake bolts, clean oil.
switch from newer heads on the newer motor to old style heads off the motor that came on the boat.
old heads are getting crack checked and set up at the machine shop.
Thanks

jetboatperformance
10-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Too Cool ,Pleased you figured it out , still happy to help if you ever need it JBP

dregsz
10-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks, I'm sure I will need help in the future

CVX20
10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Could you post a pic of your Glastron, would like to see it :)

dregsz
10-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Here you go
Will look better soon

dregsz
10-24-2008, 01:15 AM
here's what I wish it looked like
first one is the 1978 brochure, second is believed owned in Vancouver, CA