PDA

View Full Version : into the breach one more time

newbie Mike
09-10-2003, 09:53 PM
still on the Biesemeyer project, I will be running a 460 ford engine, with log exhaust. I understand the water flow as from the jet pump, into a flow splitter (I think its called a tstat) to the logs, from the logs to the engine, from the engine to the risers and out the through transom exhaust tips.
The only way to control engine temperature is via a modulating valve between the jet pump and the splitter(tstat). I have read the banderlog information and think I understand it and its functionabliliy. Many of the Jet people I have talked to say that the banderlog is good but it is not a must have item. My question is what engine temp do you guys try to run at? Another question is have any of you placed additional modulating valves between the water engine exit and the exhaust risers? In my rudamentary and unseasoned thinking, couldn't I better control the engine temperature by 1. keeping the engine full of water and modulating the its flow through the block versus modulating the amount of water entering the system to begin with? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

quiet riot
09-10-2003, 10:27 PM
My setup is a little different than most, but I run from my pump to bottom of center riser exh man, then to a t-stat housing with a 160 tstat, use a normal water circulation pump to keep it even and more consistant flow through the motor and then out through the exhaust elbows and thru-transom tips.
My motor comes up to temp really quick and then holds consistantly at 165, no matter how I run the boat. Been working great for 8 years.
jd

matt1
09-11-2003, 03:11 AM
NO NO NO You never want to run any kind of resriction on the exit of the cooling system b/c it will cause water pressure to build in the block then you get milkshake oil and so on.Always use a valve right where it comes off the pump to regulate flow .

HotRod Sprint
09-13-2003, 08:42 PM
Check out this web page, it gives a nice diagram for basset headers and standard logs. http://www.liquidaddiction.net/cooling.htm
Rod

kp216
09-14-2003, 02:13 AM
Matt1 is correct. You never want to restrict your water flow coming out of the engine.
The water flows from the pump to a T fitting (not a "T Stat" unless you running a thermostat such as the Rex Tower) then to the logs for preheating, then to the block, then out of the block to the risers where it exits through the exhaust tips.
The Banderlog Valve would not apply if you're running logs. It turns water flow on/off if you're running headers. Logs MUST have water to them all the time.
A way to control the amount of water and the pressure in your block is to run this (http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/Water_Bypass_Kit_DCP_0726.jpg) from Hi-Tech Performance.

ole war horse
09-14-2003, 03:33 AM
I am running olds with water intake at the pump then to the logs then into the block with a tee and also into the thermostst housing tower from Rex marine then to the risers. I run 140 stat and temps are always between 145 to 160 which is what my engine builder wants to see and 12 psi so that the motor is full of water so it can take away heat. The head gaskets are good to 23 psi before milk shaking the oil. Water pressure is import-ant to maintain constant tempertures. I have only 22 hours on this motor running this way, but no problems.