PDA

View Full Version : Lake Havasu City. Give us your opinions please

YOUNG
10-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Me and the wife are needing to relocate due to health reasons and Lake Havasu City is one of our choices. We're planning a trip out there in January to check it out, but we would like to get some opinions on the place. Havasu residents give me your likes and dislikes. The others that frequent Havasu give us your thoughs and feelings. Other than boating what all is there to do. Clubs, bars, shopping, resturants etc?
Thanks for the much needed opinons!

SummitKarl
10-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Me and the wife are needing to relocate due to health reasons and Lake Havasu City is one of our choices. We're planning a trip out there in January to check it out, but we would like to get some opinions on the place. Havasu residents give me your likes and dislikes. The others that frequent Havasu give us your thoughs and feelings. Other than boating what all is there to do. Clubs, bars, shopping, resturants etc?
Thanks for the much needed opinons!
I have been coming to Havasu sense the mid 80's, bought my home here in the mid 90's, been living here full time sense 2001 and Designed/Built over 400 homes here, so I think I can give you a fair assessment;)
it all depends on what your looking for in life.
Havasu is primarily retirement community of about 50k full time people, that swells to about 100k during the winter months, Havasu is a very laid back community and it's very easy to spend each and every day and night with friends doing something, be it going out or staying home. it's all about friends and family here.....there are all sorts of recreation activities all year round, it's just as easy to go play in the dirt as it is in the water, and even easier to play on asphalt (HUGE!!! Hot Rodding community). typically once the wife gets hooked in to the community your social calendar will be booked each and every single day.
Shopping is on the uprise as we have a new mall and it's slowly filling up with stores and people, Havasu has crossed that 50k population border that all the chain retailers want to see, so more and more of the chains are here and planning to be here soon.
Havasu is primarily a service based economy providing primarily retailer sized Salary's, don't expect to get rich much less make $60K,$80K,$100k per yr it is not going to happen, unless your a Medi-care Doctor;)...I preach this same thing to all that want to move here, DO NOT COME HERE IN DEBT!!!! pay off all your debts and move here with at least a 1 yr cash reserve or some sort of retirement/disability check. If you live within your means you will be fine, if you try to impress or play "Keep up with the Jones" you WILL FAIL!!! here.
hope that helps
Karl

90mphRAGE
10-27-2008, 08:45 PM
:devil: IT'S HOT:devil:
Not like an oven, but a hair dryer!

Todd969
10-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Yep, hot 3 months of the year. Plenty to do within a 2 hour radius to escape the heat. Very small town environment, traffic is non exsistent. The funny thing is after awhile the 8 mile drive from the southside to the north ( where all the big stores are ) seems like a LONG drive.
Good luck with your search.

YOUNG
10-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I have been coming to Havasu sense the mid 80's, bought my home here in the mid 90's, been living here full time sense 2001 and Designed/Built over 400 homes here, so I think I can give you a fair assessment;)
it all depends on what your looking for in life.
Havasu is primarily retirement community of about 50k full time people, that swells to about 100k during the winter months, Havasu is a very laid back community and it's very easy to spend each and every day and night with friends doing something, be it going out or staying home. it's all about friends and family here.....there are all sorts of recreation activities all year round, it's just as easy to go play in the dirt as it is in the water, and even easier to play on asphalt (HUGE!!! Hot Rodding community). typically once the wife gets hooked in to the community your social calendar will be booked each and every single day.
Shopping is on the uprise as we have a new mall and it's slowly filling up with stores and people, Havasu has crossed that 50k population border that all the chain retailers want to see, so more and more of the chains are here and planning to be here soon.
Havasu is primarily a service based economy providing primarily retailer sized Salary's, don't expect to get rich much less make $60K,$80K,$100k per yr it is not going to happen, unless your a Medi-care Doctor;)...I preach this same thing to all that want to move here, DO NOT COME HERE IN DEBT!!!! pay off all your debts and move here with at least a 1 yr cash reserve or some sort of retirement/disability check. If you live within your means you will be fine, if you try to impress or play "Keep up with the Jones" you WILL FAIL!!! here.
hope that helps
Karl
Thanks for taking the time to answer with such detail. If you could change anything about Havasu what would it be? We're not from a large populated city(80,000) so Havasu just might feel about the same. The social aspect of the town will be great. We're always in to having a good time with friends.

SummitKarl
10-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for taking the time to answer with such detail. If you could change anything about Havasu what would it be? We're not from a large populated city(80,000) so Havasu just might feel about the same. The social aspect of the town will be great. We're always in to having a good time with friends.
I think I would change just about the same thing anyone would change in any town........more jobs, lower utilities, lower food cost (food is crazy expensive here)..oh yea, I would cut about 20* off July and August temps:D

08username
10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Have you seen this (http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/index.php) forum? Many of the posters on the Performance Boats forum live or play in Lake Havasu. You can learn a lot about the area by reading their posts.

Todd969
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Have you seen this forum? Many of the posters on the Performance Boats forum live or play in Lake Havasu. You can learn a lot about the area by reading their posts.
Good call, but there's only a couple on there that actually live here. Most are weekend warriors. Unfortunately I disagree with Karls cost assesment,Utilities and food are about the same or less than our home in Pasadena. Our avg util June thru Aug was $350.00ish keeping the house around 78 Thats, electric,water,trash,sewer.
The city is what you make of it. I really enjoy living in BFE.

imbndvs
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I was a frequent visitor to Havasu since I was about 4 years old. (now 44)
In 1999 I purchased my dream home in Havasu and thought everything was going to be great. Havasu has 2 types of people. People with money but not rich and the scum. The scum far out number the good people. Don't try to have anything done in Havasu as the worker or the scum are glade to take your money to do the job and then they if they show up to do the work they show up drunk or messed up on drugs. (Drugs are a HUGE problem in Havasu)
Usually they don't show up though and you can find them in a local bar complaining how there is no work and that they don't have any money.
My dream became a NIGHTMARE! The scum will rob you blind and just hope they don't live anywhere near you as there will be fights, drug deals and so on going on. By the way, they are everywhere, so they WILL be near you.
Needless to say, I sold my boat, house and everything associated with Havasu and took EVERY penny out of that city and reinvested it in a good area.
Bottom line is HAVASU SUCKS for a place to live! OK to visit once in the while but I try to spend as little as possible in that city as I bring everything I need with me and leave all my trash for the trash there.
Good luck with your decision.

Todd969
10-29-2008, 03:30 PM
OUCH, so I'm a scubbag drug dealing thief?
I have never had any contractor issues, nor been ripped off. This town is no differebt than Las Vegas when it comes to problems. It just happens to be much smaller so you see more. The same case could be made if this guy was asking for opinions on moving to the L.A. area.

Havasu1986
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
OUCH, so I'm a scubbag drug dealing thief?
I have never had any contractor issues, nor been ripped off. This town is no differebt than Las Vegas when it comes to problems. It just happens to be much smaller so you see more. The same case could be made if this guy was asking for opinions on moving to the L.A. area.
Actually Todd. I thought you were the guy that went and cleaned up the beaches that the few scum bags that come here left there.
I have owned a home here...well since 1986 and I quess I just don't see what other people claim to see. I built the RV garage in my avatar as a owner building and all the subs were there on time and did what they said they would. And this was 5 years ago when Havasu was booming in construction.
I think the few scum bags just hang out with other scum bags and can't see the city for what it is.
And that all I have to say about that...quote by Forrest Gump. :D

Todd969
10-29-2008, 04:50 PM
You know the story, can't please everyone.

SummitKarl
10-29-2008, 06:24 PM
You know the story, can't please everyone.
I am beting "imbvds" is one of those that HELOC'd there way into a mess and is sore about it....:idea:
oh and $350 is alot of money to me;) you damn BALLER!!!!!:D

Mrs.Racer277
10-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Jobs and shopping is what Havasu needs. I would love to live there. :)

SummitKarl
10-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Jobs and shopping is what Havasu needs. I would love to live there. :)
you do......2/7ths of the time:D
your boat ready yet?:) ain't been by to see the boy for a couple of weeks

HDF WATERDOG
10-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I love it and can't wait to move there.

3 daytona`s
10-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I was a frequent visitor to Havasu since I was about 4 years old. (now 44)
In 1999 I purchased my dream home in Havasu and thought everything was going to be great. Havasu has 2 types of people. People with money but not rich and the scum. The scum far out number the good people. Don't try to have anything done in Havasu as the worker or the scum are glade to take your money to do the job and then they if they show up to do the work they show up drunk or messed up on drugs. (Drugs are a HUGE problem in Havasu)
Usually they don't show up though and you can find them in a local bar complaining how there is no work and that they don't have any money.
My dream became a NIGHTMARE! The scum will rob you blind and just hope they don't live anywhere near you as there will be fights, drug deals and so on going on. By the way, they are everywhere, so they WILL be near you.
Needless to say, I sold my boat, house and everything associated with Havasu and took EVERY penny out of that city and reinvested it in a good area.
Bottom line is HAVASU SUCKS for a place to live! OK to visit once in the while but I try to spend as little as possible in that city as I bring everything I need with me and leave all my trash for the trash there.
Good luck with your decision.
I feel a bit harsh,but on the other hand do agree with some of your thoughts. I guess now I see why we have 3 Police officers for each resident:idea:

Todd969
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
3 per resident? Where's that?

3 daytona`s
10-30-2008, 06:35 PM
3 per resident? Where's that?
Please,agree with me it is difficult to approach a 4-wqay stop with out a Havasu PD vehicle at some place.It is as CRIME is rampant here:jawdrop:

Todd969
10-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Please,agree with me it is difficult to approach a 4-wqay stop with out a Havasu PD vehicle at some place.It is as CRIME is rampant here:jawdrop:
Hello, I'm blind!!! I rarely come across any officers in town. Now my driveway, that's another story.

YOUNG
10-31-2008, 06:03 PM
We recieved a Lake Havasu City visitors guide in the mail today. The guide is not very discriptive about the city and what all is there. We are still very anxious for our visit come January. Does the city have a industrial area or what would be the nearest one?

bigkatboat
10-31-2008, 07:13 PM
We recieved a Lake Havasu City visitors guide in the mail today. The guide is not very discriptive about the city and what all is there. We are still very anxious for our visit come January. Does the city have a industrial area or what would be the nearest one?
I feel it's difficult for this city (printed materials) to keep up with all of the different efforts going on in many directions, so the info does seem vague. I must say, being a 9 year full time resident, land owner for over 25 years and being an adult visitor since 1969, "it ain't Mayberry politics around here". I feel that you MUST REALLY LIKE IT AND BE PREPAIRED TO LIVE HERE, (lifestyle) or you won't put up with many of the 'special problems' that you will encounter here. First off, I feel that if you want to 'progress' in your workplace field in this town, you must open your own business. (IMO) The town as a whole, offers very little in the way of FAIR paying jobs. Small business owners have the right to hire people at any wage they feel is correct. Most of the jobs in this town are with, small businesses and wages are low by any standards. I'm trying to say, "don't come here to get rich", by working for someone else. If you have "your own business", COME ON DOWN and hire people at reasonable wages! You will find out that 'paying reasonable wages' defeats the common cry that local business owners can't get good help. I would say that Las Vegas is the largest CLOSE industrial center. It's about 3 hours away, going at the speed of sound. Phoenix and Los Angeles are also areas some locals commute to, but they are 4 and 5 hours away. I hope you do come out and take a look! See for yourselves. If you are in the medical professions, you will find work at "reasonable" wages, because we have a lot of retired people here.(medicare!) Housing is at a low right now and fuel for your car is dropping in prices too. BUT! Electrical power, natural gas,PROPERTY TAXES, and everyday costs are unusually high for an area that 'lacks basic fundamentals of city life'. The political mindset seems to be "construction" and most other avenues of commerce are not considered. Even the custom boat builders here are not given any kind of incentives! They (in good times) employ quite a few hundreds of people (at reasonable wages) and yet the city will spend money, time and upgrade projects ($$$) promoting an old dead zone in downtown. Who employs more people? Even our own local Marine Association replaced a "boater and man of the people" with a "jackass political monkey", for it's own personal motives. Having been here fulltime for a few years, I still can't keep up with all the political BS. Please let us know when you come to town, a few of us will "show you around", if you like. I have a lot more to add to this rant, so I'll ask now, if you want to hear more.

HavasuFSBO
10-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Lake Havasu is what you make of it. I like the City alot and yes like any other place with people there are trouble makers.(not EVERYWHERE though) Less in the winter and more in the summer. Overall a nice place to live or play or both.

bigkatboat
10-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Lake Havasu is what you make of it. I like the City alot and yes like any other place with people there are trouble makers.(not EVERYWHERE though) Less in the winter and more in the summer. Overall a nice place to live or play or both.
Any place you go is "what you make of it"! I think he asked! "What is there in Havasu for my wife and I to do with our lives?" "We need some basic local info" "The city info was worthless". "Please locals give us some input" I like your "less in the winter and more in the summer", that's kind of like, "dollar tacos on Wednesday and $2.00 margaritas on thursdays!" I think they need to see that "it is what it is"!!!

YOUNG
11-03-2008, 05:53 PM
I feel it's difficult for this city (printed materials) to keep up with all of the different efforts going on in many directions, so the info does seem vague. I must say, being a 9 year full time resident, land owner for over 25 years and being an adult visitor since 1969, "it ain't Mayberry politics around here". I feel that you MUST REALLY LIKE IT AND BE PREPAIRED TO LIVE HERE, (lifestyle) or you won't put up with many of the 'special problems' that you will encounter here. First off, I feel that if you want to 'progress' in your workplace field in this town, you must open your own business. (IMO) The town as a whole, offers very little in the way of FAIR paying jobs. Small business owners have the right to hire people at any wage they feel is correct. Most of the jobs in this town are with, small businesses and wages are low by any standards. I'm trying to say, "don't come here to get rich", by working for someone else. If you have "your own business", COME ON DOWN and hire people at reasonable wages! You will find out that 'paying reasonable wages' defeats the common cry that local business owners can't get good help. I would say that Las Vegas is the largest CLOSE industrial center. It's about 3 hours away, going at the speed of sound. Phoenix and Los Angeles are also areas some locals commute to, but they are 4 and 5 hours away. I hope you do come out and take a look! See for yourselves. If you are in the medical professions, you will find work at "reasonable" wages, because we have a lot of retired people here.(medicare!) Housing is at a low right now and fuel for your car is dropping in prices too. BUT! Electrical power, natural gas,PROPERTY TAXES, and everyday costs are unusually high for an area that 'lacks basic fundamentals of city life'. The political mindset seems to be "construction" and most other avenues of commerce are not considered. Even the custom boat builders here are not given any kind of incentives! They (in good times) employ quite a few hundreds of people (at reasonable wages) and yet the city will spend money, time and upgrade projects ($$$) promoting an old dead zone in downtown. Who employs more people? Even our own local Marine Association replaced a "boater and man of the people" with a "jackass political monkey", for it's own personal motives. Having been here fulltime for a few years, I still can't keep up with all the political BS. Please let us know when you come to town, a few of us will "show you around", if you like. I have a lot more to add to this rant, so I'll ask now, if you want to hear more.
Thanks for your opinion on the city. We'll take you up on the offer when we come out there. I am in the process of searching for a job in or somewhat near Havasu right now. We would like to have the move over and done with before next summer.

Havasu Carrera
11-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for your opinion on the city. We'll take you up on the offer when we come out there. I am in the process of searching for a job in or somewhat near Havasu right now. We would like to have the move over and done with before next summer.
I got the toys and the house! Let me know where I can make enough to pay for gas and lunch a few days a week and I will be your neighbor!
Honestly I think you have to own your own business in Havasu.
Good luck bud.

TCHB
11-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Bad
Jobs
Healthcare quality
I see a lot of low life type people
People junking up their yard with crap
Good
Nice lake
Nice winter activities
Home Depot and Lowes
Lots of activity with great people
No traffic
Great evening skies
Summer time weekend fun

HDF WATERDOG
11-13-2008, 04:21 PM
You forgot some of the best sunrises that one might ever see.

YOUNG
11-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Being from a small (60k people) town I understand the situation with jobs. We really like the idea of Havasu do to the small town feel and atmosphere. The move might still feel like home, but just with a new look and alot better weather. There are a couple of other places that have us interested, however they are'nt so small. Huntington Beach, LA area.