PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Boat Show 2009

grads2112
11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Has anyone heard anything about what companies will and won't be at the show this year? I would believe that as slow as boat sales are manufacturers might not want to pony up the money for the show. I was thinking about planning a trip down but if it is going to be a real small show I might rethink it.

shueman
11-11-2008, 08:36 PM
It's never a "small show"....come on down...;)

grads2112
11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Is it going to be two full levels?

riverracerx
11-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I heard only the top level. Olympic and Meridian took up a pretty good footprint and they are gone now. I have heard a few West Coast builders are hurting big time right now too.

grads2112
11-11-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm not looking to get any rumors started, I would just like to know what West Coast builders will be there and which wont.

tjg
11-11-2008, 11:50 PM
look it up.....this is the internet afterall:D
i checked it out the other day and it said that they will release the names of the manufacturers at a later date........maybe sometime in december/january.

Todd969
11-12-2008, 06:37 AM
See this
http://www.losangelesboatshow.com/exhibitor_list.cfm

grads2112
11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I checked that link and when I clicked Exhibitor Listing it gave me a message saying "Please check back on January 23, 2009 for a complete listing of boat and accessory exhibitors", isn't that like one week before the show? I'd like to know before that who's going to be there. Normally at this time of year we start to hear rumblings of what new models are going to be at the show.

BADBLOWN572
11-12-2008, 11:46 PM
I talked to the SCMA about 3 weeks ago regarding the show. As of this point in time, it is scheduled to be a 7 day show versus a 10 day show. The show would be closed on Tues, Wed, & Thurs. It is also being planned as a single floor show with all exhibitors being upstairs. No news on who will and who won't be attending.

grads2112
11-13-2008, 12:08 AM
I talked to the SCMA about 3 weeks ago regarding the show. As of this point in time, it is scheduled to be a 7 day show versus a 10 day show. The show would be closed on Tues, Wed, & Thurs. It is also being planned as a single floor show with all exhibitors being upstairs. No news on who will and who won't be attending.
Thanks for the good info! If you hear anymore lets us know.

twocents
11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Just a quick correction to the 2009 L.A. Show info above -- the L.A. Show will be open on Saturday and Sunday, February 7 & 8. Then closed on Monday and Tuesday, February 9 & 10. It will reopen for the final five days on Wednesday, February 11 thru Sunday the 15th. And yes, at this moment the show is planned to be contained all on the upper floor level (South Hall). If there is enough exhibitor demand, Kentia (the lower floor) is still available. As for exhibitors, the SCMA sales staff has just concluded an ambitious three-week road trip across the country seeing major exhibitor companies. Just some of the visits included stops at: Brunswick/Mercury, US Marine, Fountain, Sea Ray, Mastercraft, Yamaha, Honda, Volvo Penta, Evinrude, BRP, Glastron, Crestliner, Regal, Chris Craft, Wellcraft, Carver, Skier's Choice, Grady White, etc. The sales staff will be making personal stops at all the west coast performance builders for the next couple of weeks. So far, no company that exhibited in 2008 has said they will not be exhibiting in 2009, and no one has relinquished their display space for the coming show. SCMA expects that some companies will be downsizing their display space for the coming year which is natural in this economy. Will there be new high performance product to look at? I anticipate it will be a good year thanks to new product from Advantage, Howard, Eliminator, Conquest, Hallett, and Nordic just to name a few. The admission price for the show will still be $12 for adults, kids 12 & under are free. However, keep checking www.losangelesboatshow.com for aggressive money-saving discount offers on tickets. In fact, if you go there now, you can enter to win a free 22' Nordic Evolution sportboat which gets awarded at the NHRA drag race in Pomona in February 2009. That would be a nice way to start the year!

John.
11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm going to go. there are going to be plenty of boats to see. its worth the trip Grads. you skipped it last year, no need to skip it two years in a row. Plus, the economy needs your travel money.

grads2112
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm going to go. there are going to be plenty of boats to see. its worth the trip Grads. you skipped it last year, no need to skip it two years in a row. Plus, the economy needs your travel money.
I would love go down and see all my Havasu peeps.:idea: :D

Mandelon
11-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I am thinking if Grads doesn't go, then I won't go either. :D

twocents
11-14-2008, 08:47 AM
If any out-of-towners need a nearby hotel for the L.A. Show, I highly recommend the Omni. They are offering special discounted rates for the boat show, have good restaurants and also provide free shuttle service to and from the show (no parking fees). To get the special rate, just go to www.losangelesboatshow.com, click on "exhibitor information" and then click on "hotels." There's a direct link to the Omni for reservations.

frosted tips
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I am thinking if Grads doesn't go, then I won't go either. :Dsame here grads will be missed by all the builders:(

drejustice
11-17-2008, 05:35 AM
We were really thinking of making the trip out for this show since we normally have done Miami and wanted to really check out more of the west coast cats but due to the times have heard that it might not be worth it this year:(

twocents
11-17-2008, 08:26 AM
As far as west coast custom builders go for the 2009 L.A. Show -- the strong ones will be there and those that don't, draw your own conclusions. Again, none of the companies still in business have declined to exhibit at this time.

Throttle
11-17-2008, 09:55 AM
As far as west coast custom builders go for the 2009 L.A. Show -- the strong ones will be there and those that don't, draw your own conclusions. Again, none of the companies still in business have declined to exhibit at this time.
strong or not, nobody should bother putting money out when the returns are not gonna make up for being there... that is just smart business... imo...

justfloatn
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
strong or not, nobody should bother putting money out when the returns are not gonna make up for being there... that is just smart business... imo...
What about buyer perspective? There are still buyers out there and if I was one of them and a builder was skipping the show due to money issues. Then I would take them off the list of builders to consider. The last thing any one wants is to buy the last boat someone builds. Depreciation on boats is bad enough without adding being built by a bankrupt company to it. Cutting back on the frequency or size of magazine ads is understandable but missing a big show is not.
MY $0.02:D

HDF WATERDOG
11-17-2008, 12:40 PM
The Buyer Perspective. I think there's buyers out there that are doing their homework and understand what's happening in the industry. Not going to the show and saving the bucks might be the thing to do for some to get thru these times. I wouldn't cross anybody off for not going. And what's wrong with the last boat. It's possible that some are making their last boat today and don't even know it yet.

grads2112
11-17-2008, 12:53 PM
The problem with buying the last boat is that warranty lasts about as long as it takes to get off the lot.

HALLETT BOY
11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
The problem with buying the last boat is that warranty lasts about as long as it takes to get off the lot.
And with a new boat you NEED the warranty !

justfloatn
11-17-2008, 02:38 PM
The Buyer Perspective. I think there's buyers out there that are doing their homework and understand what's happening in the industry. Not going to the show and saving the bucks might be the thing to do for some to get thru these times. I wouldn't cross anybody off for not going. And what's wrong with the last boat. It's possible that some are making their last boat today and don't even know it yet.
Your quote seems to be based on the assumption that every buyer is on this site or the other one;) I bet 80% of the owners of performance boats never research a thing. They work hard, have money and want a nice boat. Looking at Magazines and going to the show and seeing the boats is how their decision is made.
And I mentioned what is wrong with buying the last boat. Grads pointed out the warranty issue on top of it. That would suck. Ask a Weekend Warrior or Commandor owner their opinion on that.
Again "My" opinion:)

BADBLOWN572
11-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I have talked to quite a few of the manufacturers on the west coast, and a lot of them are not planning on being at the LA show. Not because of company instability, but because of the economy not producing sales. Many feel that there are better avenues to spend the $$$ on than the LA Show. Even last year, most manufacturers did not sell one boat. Some others got lucky. I think that this year is going to be worse than last year. :( For the amount of money that the LA show costs to do, you can do A LOT of promoting in other locations. It comes down to a sound business decision. Where do you apply your money to get the best return on investment. :)

grads2112
11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I have talked to quite a few of the manufacturers on the west coast, and a lot of them are not planning on being at the LA show. Not because of company instability, but because of the economy not producing sales. Many feel that there are better avenues to spend the $$$ on than the LA Show. Even last year, most manufacturers did not sell one boat. Some others got lucky. I think that this year is going to be worse than last year. :( For the amount of money that the LA show costs to do, you can do A LOT of promoting in other locations. It comes down to a sound business decision. Where do you apply your money to get the best return on investment. :)
This is kind of what I was thinking and that is why I initially asked the question.. I might pass on the show this year...we'll see.

HDF WATERDOG
11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Your quote seems to be based on the assumption that every buyer is on this site or the other one;) I bet 80% of the owners of performance boats never research a thing. They work hard, have money and want a nice boat. Looking at Magazines and going to the show and seeing the boats is how their decision is made.
And I mentioned what is wrong with buying the last boat. Grads pointed out the warranty issue on top of it. That would suck. Ask a Weekend Warrior or Commandor owner their opinion on that.
Again "My" opinion:)
Many don't research and buy a pretty boat often, True. I think that is changing though. Some just get suckered by a good salesman. Of course warranties are important. My point was that some might be building they're last boat and not now it. Trident might be a good example. Nice owner trying to find his niche in the market. I think he's on #8 now. Building the boat the best he can. Will there be a #9, even he doesn't know that yet. #8 could be the last and perhaps his best boat. WW was building cheap crap with tons of warranty issues. And I was with Sy watching a lot of people picking up there unfinished boats. Learned he was closing right here on HB and ran over there as it was only a couple blocks away. And in my book, research includes the ever important test ride.

HDF WATERDOG
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
If I remember right, aren't you one of the lucky ones that sold a boat. You're in the perfect position to know if it was worth it or not. Or perhaps I should say perfectly worst position to know. Gotta be a tough decision. BTW, if you don't go, I will not be crossing you off my list.

BADBLOWN572
11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
If I remember right, aren't you one of the lucky ones that sold a boat. You're in the perfect position to know if it was worth it or not. Or perhaps I should say perfectly worst position to know. Gotta be a tough decision. BTW, if you don't go, I will not be crossing you off my list.
I was one of the lucky ones. :) I sold two at the boat show last year. Lucky for me, last year the SCMA offered me a screaming deal to go into the LA Boat Show. As of last time I checked, they are not offering any deals. With the economy the way it is, I don't know if it will be worth it or not to go. You can do a lot of advertising for the same price as the boat show. I have definitely not ruled out going to the show this year, but I have also not said that I am going for sure either. We will see how it looks as it gets closer. :)

justfloatn
11-20-2008, 06:59 AM
I was one of the lucky ones. :) I sold two at the boat show last year. Lucky for me, last year the SCMA offered me a screaming deal to go into the LA Boat Show. As of last time I checked, they are not offering any deals. With the economy the way it is, I don't know if it will be worth it or not to go. You can do a lot of advertising for the same price as the boat show. I have definitely not ruled out going to the show this year, but I have also not said that I am going for sure either. We will see how it looks as it gets closer. :)
As an idea the manufacturers may want to team up and put on their own show. These promoters do charge alot for the spaces at shows. Here in Sac. there are a few motorhome dealers that get together, rent the space and promote their own RV show due to the cost of attending the "BIG" RV show. I talked with a salesman that said they had to move three to five units just to break even at the show promoters show.
Just an idea..:)

BADBLOWN572
11-20-2008, 07:33 AM
I talked with a salesman that said they had to move three to five units just to break even at the show promoters show.
I know that would be the case for me for sure if I ended up paying full rental fees on the space! :(

twocents
11-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I think it's important in the discussion of boat shows to make a clear distinction between "private promoters" and those shows conducted by member-owned associations. In fact, the reason that the SCMA was founded in 1956 was largely due to local boat companies and dealers wanting to control their own boat shows and not have to deal with "private promoters" who are in it primarily for the profit. If you have a problem with the space cost for an SCMA boat show, that's a decision made by the SCMA Board of Directors who happen to be 15 dedicated SoCal marine industry business people who were elected by the membership. And that Board is made up of a wide cross-section of boating interests and perspectives (motoryachts, sailboats, accessories, high performance, family boats, water ski, publishing, finance, fishing, etc.). None of the Board members profit a dime from boat show proceeds.
I guess I'm perplexed to figure out what boat manufacturers and dealers really want in the way of help to sell product. They bitch about the cost of shows if they are at places like the L.A., Long Beach or Anaheim Convention Centers, but when SCMA offered industry types the opportunity to do a "boat liquidation" parking lot sale last August at the Rose Bowl, nobody stepped up even at bargain basement exhibitor rates. Go figure!
I also hear that some boat manufacturers and dealers think that they have "better avenues" to advertise and promote their products than at a boat show. I wish they'd share those pearls of wisdom with the rest of us. According to the most recent survey done by the NMMA, boat shows are "significantly important" in making more than 50 percent of new boat purchase decisions nationwide. Boat shows far exceed Internet, print advertising, radio, TV, billboards, direct mail, email blasts, boat regattas, etc., etc., etc. in generating boat sales and leads.
One final thought.....if boat manufacturers and dealers are still measuring the "success" of a specific boat show based upon how many boats they sell at that show, they've adopted a business strategy doomed for failure. Sure, boat shows are for selling boats, but the buying habits of consumers have changed. Today, the average boat buyer requires nine to eleven months in order to make a final decision whether to buy or not. The buying process is much longer than it was ten or fifteen years ago. This means that boat shows must also be a place to collect as many leads as possible and follow-up on those leads in the months ahead in order to make the sale. Yes, it is a tougher market out there, and if you're going to make it, it means working both harder and smarter.