PDA

View Full Version : are boats like cars

bergen
03-09-2006, 03:59 PM
are boats like cars as far as value, when a car is 30years old or older as far as i know it is considered a classic, are boats conisidered classics when they reach 30 years old, the reason i am asking is my sanger jet hydro was made in 1978, is it going to be considered a classic in 2008, and should i expect it to be worth more $$$, no i am not think of selling it but i am curious about what is considered a classic in the boating world. thank you
bergen

BrendellaJet
03-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Is it a classic? Yes. Does that make it worth more money? Only if it is in really fine condition. Boats have a far more limited market than cars, so it is dificult to find someone to buy a classic and pay what you think its worth. Very few people can make money when selling a boat.

sanger rat
03-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey, lets see some pics of that hydro. How fast you get it to go?

1968Droptop
03-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Very few people can make money when selling a boat.
I didn't think ANYONE could :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Moneypitt
03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Another thing to consider when establishing value, be it a car or a boat, or a rare coin, is how many were made, how many are still around, and how many people would like to own what you have. You can't expect to sell an old boat, even a classic, well cared for boat, for what a newer, better equiped, and faster one would sell for. It all depends on finding the right buyer, at the right time, with the right boat, at the right price................MP

sanger rat
03-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Want to know how much a boat is worth? Just ask the bank. :rolleyes:

Duane HTP
03-09-2006, 06:43 PM
If a boat is over 7 years old, Banks don't really have a clue. The books they use are very under valued compared to what a good boat will bring. Boat value goes more by condition than year model like a car.

lilrick
03-09-2006, 09:26 PM
are boats like cars as far as value, when a car is 30years old or older as far as i know it is considered a classic, are boats conisidered classics when they reach 30 years old, the reason i am asking is my sanger jet hydro was made in 1978, is it going to be considered a classic in 2008, and should i expect it to be worth more $$$, no i am not think of selling it but i am curious about what is considered a classic in the boating world. thank you
bergen
IMO both cars and boats are extremely poor investments! the only reason for spending money on this junk is purely for the love of the sport or hobby!

b's sanger
03-09-2006, 09:42 PM
IMO both cars and boats are extremely poor investments! the only reason for spending money on this junk is purely for the love of the sport or hobby!
Whatever brings you peace of mind. Use either to promote good fellowship and you are on the right track.

centerhill condor
03-10-2006, 05:06 AM
few hobbies make good investments... enjoy it for what it is! your fun!

1968Droptop
03-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I humbly disagree lilrick. Boats, I'll give you that (unless it's an old real wood boat, those still seem to bring good money). But cars ? Some are not worthy of investing, while others have been proven to be very sound investments, mainly muscle cars. You can't take a savings bond, or IRA, or Cd, etc., insure it, AND still enjoy it. You CAN buy a `70 Hemi 'Cuda drop-top, have Hagerty insure it for 2 mil., and drive it WHILE it grows in value !!! You can have some idiot t-bone you and get paid, or you can total it youself and STILL get paid ! Real estate is still your best investment, but cars are a solid second. The American puplic has cars laminated into its culture, it's one way of celebrating our own freedom. Cars are also a very strong reminder of our youth, and people have shown a willingness to pay big bucks for that 'feeling'.
I'm sure boats too can envoke such emotions, but boats are not nearly as common as the automobile, so less people have had that 'emotion' with a boat than a car.

Jeanyus
03-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I learned 1 thing the hard way. Fiberglass ages. I had a nice looking 74 Southwind, I spent a lot of money on that boat and ended up droping it off at the dump, It developed a crack where the stringers end under the bow. I had it repaired 2 times, the 2nd time it failed, I stripped the boat and took it to the dump.