PDA

View Full Version : boat painting

dgie
11-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Anyone know anything about it here?

grayson
11-18-2008, 04:33 AM
it is very labour intensive to get the job done right, not to mention messy unless you have a dedicated area for the job.
What else would you like to know?

Beer-30
11-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Assuming you are talking about using automotive paint on a boat and not using the term "paint" for "gel";
Painting fiberglass is fine - as long as there is good prep underneath and a good flex-agent is used in the mixing. Wood/fiberglass expands/contracts and moves around all the time. Auto paint is not normally flexible enough and ends up cracking at some point. 5 or so years of use and it will be hard enough that it will start to crack and flake off.
Gel coat is flexible and tends to be 99% crack-free for decades, as long as it is taken care of.
So, PAINT is short-term beauty / GEL is long-term beauty.

dgie
11-18-2008, 02:35 PM
mostly about induction time, I am using vc performance paint an interlux bottom paint and I forgot to let it set the 30 minutes before shooting the first coat, just curious as to what I can expect or if anyone has ever done this before also. Most I talked to today including Interlux said that I should be fine. It was dry when I checked it today, so I added the second coat as not to miss the window. I guess the real test will be if I see paint peel off when I am cruising across the lake.

rshrp2003
11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
show us pics ......

justfloatn
11-19-2008, 09:06 AM
mostly about induction time, I am using vc performance paint an interlux bottom paint and I forgot to let it set the 30 minutes before shooting the first coat, just curious as to what I can expect or if anyone has ever done this before also. Most I talked to today including Interlux said that I should be fine. It was dry when I checked it today, so I added the second coat as not to miss the window. I guess the real test will be if I see paint peel off when I am cruising across the lake.
How long did you wait?
What was the temperature?

dgie
11-19-2008, 02:05 PM
about 5 minutes or so, it was around 70 degrees out that day

justfloatn
11-20-2008, 07:06 AM
about 5 minutes or so, it was around 70 degrees out that day
5 min. WOW. You were in a hurry ;) :D If the manufacturer says your ok I wouldn't loose any sleep. It would start peeling within a week or two. I had a small spot, dime size, on my old boat that reacted to spot putty and started bubbling up in about a week:mad: Hope yours is ok.