PDA

View Full Version : Water in block, 2nd time w new Ford motor at test fire?

dregsz
11-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi all.
We built a 460 from a truck w CJ heads and matched intake, and advanced timing, and 2x now, on maiden fire off at the ramp, motor has run great and about 15 minutes into it, filled up w water.
The only parts from the old motor are the exhaust logs.
We are using a Comp Cams 280 marine series cam, 112 lobe seperation, .530 lift.
Is this too much cam for the exhaust logs?
Is the water possibly coming from reversion.
Last time it ran for 3 hours and then filled up on a quick fire off. Went all through and replaced w new intake as old one was questionable and had the heads checked again.
These are Ford heads that were inspected and prepped at machine shop before install then after the first motor full of water, sent back to the shop for second crack check and re-resurfacing.
It had happened before but thought the problem was w the intake so we cleaned it up and swapped intakes but I wasn't going to take it home unless it ran really well. My intention was to burn some gas up and make sure it was all smooth w no probs.
We were watching it very closely while running it at the ramp, shutting down every few minutes pulling up to a flat area and checking the dipstick to see if the oil turned into a milkshake, it was holding up pretty good then the motor started bogging just a bit and noticed increase in white smoke volume in exhaust and shut it down
Presumably if it had gone another few seconds it would have locked.
Checked again and the mlik shake was in the PCV valve and all the way up the oil fill tube and dipstick.
so there is a significant Vol of water coming in.
Any other ideas for water filling up the block?
Thanks
Evan

Jetoholic
11-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi all.
We built a 460 from a truck w CJ heads and matched intake, and advanced timing, and 2x now, on maiden fire off at the ramp, motor has run great and about 15 minutes into it, filled up w water.
The only parts from the old motor are the exhaust logs.
We are using a Comp Cams 280 marine series cam, 112 lobe seperation, .530 lift.
Is this too much cam for the exhaust logs?
Is the water possibly coming from reversion.
Last time it ran for 3 hours and then filled up on a quick fire off. Went all through and replaced w new intake as old one was questionable and had the heads checked again.
These are Ford heads that were inspected and prepped at machine shop before install then after the first motor full of water, sent back to the shop for second crack check and re-resurfacing.
It had happened before but thought the problem was w the intake so we cleaned it up and swapped intakes but I wasn't going to take it home unless it ran really well. My intention was to burn some gas up and make sure it was all smooth w no probs.
We were watching it very closely while running it at the ramp, shutting down every few minutes pulling up to a flat area and checking the dipstick to see if the oil turned into a milkshake, it was holding up pretty good then the motor started bogging just a bit and noticed increase in white smoke volume in exhaust and shut it down
Presumably if it had gone another few seconds it would have locked.
Checked again and the mlik shake was in the PCV valve and all the way up the oil fill tube and dipstick.
so there is a significant Vol of water coming in.
Any other ideas for water filling up the block?
Thanks
Evan
Honestly, and I know it's a pain in the ass, but if that were my motor, I'd tear it down completely and take the block to a reputable machine shop and have it magged for cracks. You could have a crack that doesn't pose a problem when the engine is cold, but once it warms up and everything expands the crack in the block expands as well, allowing water to enter the block.

Cas
11-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Evan,
I would pressure check the exhaust logs to make sure they don't have any cracks that could cause reversion. Once you eliminate the logs you will be able to move on to other areas to check.

jrork
11-28-2008, 10:55 AM
That sucks Evan. I don't have any BBF stuff but I bet somebody over on Skagens site has some logs or headers that you could try.
Post it up and I bet somebody there would be able to help. John, Scott and Whitey all live in Gig Harbor and have BBF's.

Blown Away
11-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Ya I have some used ford headers you could try,I will tell you from my experience its usually the manifolds or the intake. Manifolds are easy to pressure test feel free to give me a call! 253-939-8733 Tony
www.skagenboats.com

jrork
11-28-2008, 07:12 PM
There you go Evan. Give Tony a call. He's a great guy with a ton of experiance.

dregsz
11-30-2008, 02:25 AM
This is good advice, thanks
The boat/exhaust is in OR right now but on a Carlson forum we were talking about a gasket between the manifold and risers and I'm told these mani might be welded at the riser so that is the highest suspect right now.
I'll keep all posted.
the motor is coming out w manifolds attached since motor needs good cleaning anyway and then we'll take a good look at the logs and go from there.
Thanks Again
Evan

sbcokeman
11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
you didn't say what it was in ?. I'am guessing it is a jet. I had that same thing happen to me along time ago. I rebuilt the motor and the jet, took it out and within 15 min: the cylinders had water in them. after many rebuilds and brain strains i figured it to be the water from my jet was pumping to much pressure.Pushing it right past the head gaskets. I put a control valve between the jet and the engine and screwed it down until the motor ran a even temp:. I had a thermostat system in it.It ran great for years after that, maybe this might work for you?.:confused:

dregsz
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
It's a berkely 12JE pump.
Interesting idea.
Problem starts right after it came up to temp

centerhill condor
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
I put a control valve between the jet and the engine and screwed it down until the motor ran a even temp:. I had a thermostat system in it.It ran great for years after that, maybe this might work for you?.:confused:
seen this more than once..CJ heads...sounds great.
CC

TIMINATOR
12-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Pressure test the logs first!(remove them). If you are running a metal pan intake gasket replace it with the individual race ones. Silicone both sides of the intake gaskets around the water ports too. Check every intake bolt length, they may bottom out before actually tightening the intake down. Cam size is fine with logs, we have used a comp 292 car cam(110 lobe centers) many times with no problems. TIMINATOR