PDA

View Full Version : Records Fall at Salton Sea Speedweek

twocents
12-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Some impressive runs down at the kilo runs on Salton Sea earlier today. Bob Teague and Paul Whittier in their "Amsoil" Cat Lite offshore boat made numerous runs over the 130 mph mark to set a new class record. That's a two-way average speed over a flying kilo course, not radar or GPS numbers. Pretty amazing for a 36-foot Skater with stock Mercury Racing 525 EFIs w/Number Six drives. Teague thinks he might get a 135 run tomorrow if the weather cooperates -- today it was glassy flat water with little or no wind. Also, Dave Rankin's Super Stock SS-80 flatbottom went on the plus side of 125 mph for another class record. Great weather and a surprisingly large turn-out of spectators. Will try and get some pix posted on Monday.

convincor
12-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Did you see Eliminator there? Just wonder if they ended up going.I heard they were going to bring a 36 speedster with big Teague power.

twocents
12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I didn't see any Eliminators in the pits, however, several people thought something might show up. Not sure if they came down to run on Sunday. I was surprised that hardly any of the West Coast performance builders brought a boat -- no DCB, Lavey, Howard, Nordic, Cobra, etc., etc. Only local builder on the scene that I saw was an HTM SR-24 open bow but I didn't see it run.

HPBoats83
12-07-2008, 09:22 PM
A sign of the times I think, hopefully the economy will turn around soon!

HTM2
12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Hey there, This is HTM2 we were at the races on Friday night, we waited all day Saturday to show are stuff,, but on Saturday night the water was right on so everyone a head of us to advantage, so we got to run on Sunday morning the water was absolutely flat we ran 109.9 average, establishing a record we ran up to 116 that day, but we had an out drive go out so we could not back up our faster numbers.. we got to watch the new eliminator run, it was fast,... they had perfect weather and water, and lots of motor.. I have posted pic on ,, HTM2 my space, @ hightorquemarine.com if anyone was is interested, all in all We had a great time. And thank you to P.O.P.R.A , thad, Teague and everyone else that help put this on we will be there next yr, also we will be racing with P.O.P.R.A in 2009 with 4 maybe 5 boats..

HPBoats83
12-08-2008, 12:42 PM
It's cool to see how much you guys are doing with those boats as far as the publicity of things like the racing in San Diego and now this. You guys are doing a great job with the new company IMO!

grads2112
12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Can someone please explain to me how a 36' Skater with 525's did 130+m.p.h. and my 28' boat with same power only does 115 m.p.h. on a good day? I have bravo xr drives and I know the Skater had #6's does that make any difference? I'm not doubting the numbers, I'm just really curious as to what they are doing to achieve them.

HALLETT BOY
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Can someone please explain to me how a 36' Skater with 525's did 130+m.p.h. and my 28' boat with same power only does 115 m.p.h. on a good day? I have bravo xr drives and I know the Skater had #6's does that make any difference? I'm not doubting the numbers, I'm just really curious as to what they are doing to achieve them.
As Zora Arkus Duntov would always say : it's in da grease !

shueman
12-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Layup, bottom, & DRIVER... :)

Todd969
12-09-2008, 07:25 AM
See Shueman's reply.
Also, that Skater of Bob's is very very light. It's a full race boat vs your pleasure boat. Have you ever ran yours in saltwater?

grads2112
12-09-2008, 08:27 AM
See Shueman's reply.
Also, that Skater of Bob's is very very light. It's a full race boat vs your pleasure boat. Have you ever ran yours in saltwater?
No I have not run mine in saltwater. That's another thing I was wondering, do they run that much faster in salt? And back to one of my original questions, are #6's faster than Bravo's or do they take less horsepower to turn?

skater40
12-09-2008, 06:17 PM
The skaters motors are "special" 525s.The only thing similar to your 525s are the blue paint.This motor was crisper and rpmed higher than the other 525 that ran there.

BadKachina
12-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Amsoil Skater=Race boat, light layup, Skater bottom, high x dimension, 10,000 dollar props, experienced race driver and crew. 130mph
Grads boat=Standard layup, full interior, 500 dollar props, Eliminator bottom, pleasure set up for x dimension, recreational driver and friends. 115mph
There is no shame in your 115 mph. ;)

grads2112
12-09-2008, 06:37 PM
The skaters motors are "special" 525s.The only thing similar to your 525s are the blue paint.This motor was crisper and rpmed higher than the other 525 that ran there.
That is funny and also makes a lot of sense.:D

twocents
12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I heard the Amsoil boat went 131+ on Sunday. If you see the boat run you'll understand the difference. It is a relatively light lay-up, the set-up is right on, they've got matched props for every type of water condition and the Skater is a true catamaran without the extra drag of a center pod. The number Six drives don't hurt -- they are heavier than Bravos but they swing larger diameter props which help carry the entire boat -- there's no porpoise on the top end whatsoever. The boat is in perfect balance and the larger skegs on the number Six drives give it more driveability and control. You can also run the Six drives a little higher than Bravos which also reduces drag. And the boat is set-up so it needs almost no drive trim -- the propshafts are virtually parallel to the hull bottom at full throttle (the angle for maximum efficiency). In the past I've driven some fast 25 Daytonas (115+ mph) with single Bravos and they can be a handful depending on the water conditions. I then drove a 25 Daytona with a number Six drive at just over 125+ mph and it was like a Porsche -- it handled great -- felt like a Bravo boat at about 80.

grads2112
12-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks two cents for your input. Is there any truth that the #6 takes about 50 more horsepower to power it over a Bravo?

twocents
12-09-2008, 11:37 PM
A 50 horsepower advantage for a Bravo over a number Six is probably an exaggeration. The Six does have much bigger gears and shafts and that does rob some horsepower. On the other hand, the Six drive is a dry sump unit which reduces internal oil friction and that's a plus. The Six also uses a separate tranny instead of the standard cone-clutch for the Bravo. The end result is it does take a little extra horsepower to turn a number Six compared to a Bravo but I'd guess it was closer to 20 to 25 horsepower rather than 50.

twocents
12-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Grads -- if you want another comparison -- Eliminator did make it to the Salton Sea on Sunday with a new 28 Speedster Dayona powered by a pair of 700 SCi Mercury Racing packages. Don't know the exact speed, but it was reported to be just on the plus side of 140 mph. That's about 350 total horspower more than you have. As a general rule of thumb, it takes about 16 to 18 additional horsepower (for twin engine boats) to gain an extra 1 mph. Do the math. Those 350 horsepower are worth about 20 to 22 mph more on the top end. That would put your boat in the 135 to 140 mph bracket based on your current 115 mph speed level. Sounds like you're right in the ballpark.

Todd969
12-10-2008, 06:36 AM
I heard the Amsoil boat went 131+ on Sunday. If you see the boat run you'll understand the difference. It is a relatively light lay-up, the set-up is right on, they've got matched props for every type of water condition and the Skater is a true catamaran without the extra drag of a center pod. The number Six drives don't hurt -- they are heavier than Bravos but they swing larger diameter props which help carry the entire boat -- there's no porpoise on the top end whatsoever. The boat is in perfect balance and the larger skegs on the number Six drives give it more driveability and control. You can also run the Six drives a little higher than Bravos which also reduces drag. And the boat is set-up so it needs almost no drive trim -- the propshafts are virtually parallel to the hull bottom at full throttle (the angle for maximum efficiency). In the past I've driven some fast 25 Daytonas (115+ mph) with single Bravos and they can be a handful depending on the water conditions. I then drove a 25 Daytona with a number Six drive at just over 125+ mph and it was like a Porsche -- it handled great -- felt like a Bravo boat at about 80.
A 50 horsepower advantage for a Bravo over a number Six is probably an exaggeration. The Six does have much bigger gears and shafts and that does rob some horsepower. On the other hand, the Six drive is a dry sump unit which reduces internal oil friction and that's a plus. The Six also uses a separate tranny instead of the standard cone-clutch for the Bravo. The end result is it does take a little extra horsepower to turn a number Six compared to a Bravo but I'd guess it was closer to 20 to 25 horsepower rather than 50.
Grads -- if you want another comparison -- Eliminator did make it to the Salton Sea on Sunday with a new 28 Speedster Dayona powered by a pair of 700 SCi Mercury Racing packages. Don't know the exact speed, but it was reported to be just on the plus side of 140 mph. That's about 350 total horspower more than you have. As a general rule of thumb, it takes about 16 to 18 additional horsepower (for twin engine boats) to gain an extra 1 mph. Do the math. Those 350 horsepower are worth about 20 to 22 mph more on the top end. That would put your boat in the 135 to 140 mph bracket based on your current 115 mph speed level. Sounds like you're right in the ballpark.
Thanks for the great explanation. :)

twocents
12-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Here are the official results from the Salton Sea Speedweek. Some pretty impressive stuff. I would suspect that more boats will turn-out next year -- hopefully we'll see greater participation from the high performance custom boat manufacturers. Not sure how Centurion Boats got talked into being the event title sponsor but it was obviously much appreciated. Maybe it was because Centurion owner, Rick Lee, is still a high performance boat racer at heart. Rick started out in this industry at Hondo Boats many years ago and did plenty of drag racing for the Brendels.
Here are the A.P.B.A./ U.I.M. Records:
Super Stock: Boat #80 "Wild Child", Speed: 125.507 mph
Driver: Dave Bryant, Mesa, AZ
Owner: Dave Rankin, Hacienda Heights, CA
Cracker Box: Boat #P-66, "Mr. Magoo", Speed: 107.294 mph
Driver: Dwight Moody Jr. Santa Ana, CA
Rider: Bob Overcash Duarte, CA
Comp Jet: Boat # 313, Speed: 98.493 mph
Owner/Driver: Harold Bruce, Cerritos, CA
Here are the P.O.P.R.A. Records:
Class: Cat Lite
Boat # 77, Team AMSOIL - Bob Teague / Paul Whittier Speed: 131.981 MPH
Sportsman Twin Vee Supercharged
Team Extreme - Justin Jones / Dave Trauffer Speed: 88.608 MPH
Sportsman Performance 1
Boat # 16, Team In The Red - Troy Juve / George Cortez Speed:120.414 MPH
Sportsman Twin Vee Nat. Asp.
Team AVR - "Super" Dave Kutscher / Todd Peterson Speed:104.122 MPH
Sportsman Single Diesel
Team Skunk Works - "Super" Dave Kutscher / Todd Peterson / Tom Brunner / Brian Schienle / Brad Johnson / Scott Childs jr. Speed: 44.204 MPH
Sportsman 24' Cat Single Supercharged (a bowrider)
Team HTM2 - Thaddeus Findley jr. / Cayle Carter Speed:109.950 MPH
Sportsman 28' Cat Twin Supercharged
Team Eliminator - Tony Charimante Speed: 143.829 MPH

Trash
12-10-2008, 09:04 AM
There are two primary reasons for the increased performance. First the high salinity and mineral content allows for greater buoyancy, thus less wetted area and drag. Second the Salton Sea is over 200' below sea level which allows engines to make more power.

HDF WATERDOG
12-11-2008, 02:33 PM
10 new records. Is that a complete list. How many boats were there to run.

shueman
12-11-2008, 08:41 PM
There are two primary reasons for the increased performance. First the high salinity and mineral content allows for greater buoyancy, thus less wetted area and drag. Second the Salton Sea is over 200' below sea level which allows engines to make more power.
BINGO...!!! :cool:

grads2112
12-17-2008, 12:29 AM
After watching the videos I have a tough time believing that Bob Teagues 525's were stock. I run dry pipes on mine and they sounded louder and meaner than mine. Did anyone check to see if they still were sealed by Mercury? I'm calling BS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2Hq0WjHic&feature=related

Todd969
12-17-2008, 07:25 AM
After watching the videos I have a tough time believing that Bob Teagues 525's were stock. I run dry pipes on mine and they sounded louder and meaner than mine. Did anyone check to see if they still were sealed by Mercury? I'm calling BS.
Maybe you should call Mr. Teague and stop your whinning.
While in school did you major in Bitching & Complaining? You have got to be one of the most controversial\conspiracy filled persons I have never met.

justfloatn
12-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Sounds similar to me. And I spend a lot of time following your boat;)
Cool video. Lets take your boat there and see if we can pick up 5mph or so:D
While in school did you major in Bitching & Complaining? You have got to be one of the most controversial\conspiracy filled persons I have never met.
First Amendment - Freedom of speech and to question anything you feel like:D
It may push your buttons but the only option is having a site where you can't voice your opinion without fear of getting banned :idea: Example...Your response and others toward Grads are just as negative and your right to post.;):D

grads2112
12-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Sorry Todd69, The boating industry is doing great, all builders put out an excellent product, boating magazines are thriving due to advertising and Hot Boat and Performance Boats are equally good sites. Peace and love.:D
Sounds similar to me. And I spend a lot of time following your boat;)
Cool video. Lets take your boat there and see if we can pick up 5mph or so:D
I've got a better idea, why don't Bob Teague and I switch motors and see who is faster...after all we both have 525's right?

Detail-Man
12-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry Todd69, The boating industry is doing great, all builders put out an excellent product, boating magazines are thriving due to advertising and Hot Boat and Performance Boats are equally good sites. Peace and love.:D
I've got a better idea, why don't Bob Teague and I switch motors and see who is faster...after all we both have 525's right?
Greg give it up. To make it simple you are comparing a Skater to an Eliminator.
Switch motors he will still beat you. The only chance you have is to set yours up in race trim and make yours a canopy race boat. Most 525s are makin 540-560 at the crank as well. You could beat him at B2B though:D
By the way whats up man how are things? You do know who this is right?

grads2112
12-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Greg give it up. To make it simple you are comparing a Skater to an Eliminator.
Switch motors he will still beat you. The only chance you have is to set yours up in race trim and make yours a canopy race boat. Most 525s are makin 540-560 at the crank as well. You could beat him at B2B though:D
By the way whats up man how are things? You do know who this is right?
My Eliminator is still faster than most Fountains.:D

Detail-Man
12-18-2008, 05:06 PM
My Eliminator is still faster than most Fountains.:D
:D I guess you do. Hey man I got to tell you. That video you put on here with your new boat and the sound affects of the eliminator was maybe the funniest thing Ive ever seen. Great vid. Maybe I'll see you around sometime!