PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye ***boat

INFINITEJJ
01-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Goodbye ***boat,
time to go crawl into the cyber corner and die in peace.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey, at least you got a damm nice dog out of it :D I hope :)

twocents
01-11-2009, 08:33 PM
It looks like a lot of people are anxiously awaiting the demise of this website. After almost 141,000 threads, over 2.6 million posts and more than 21,00 registered members you'd think that maybe just a couple of folks would have something nice to say, but i guess not. Probably no reason to prolong the inevitable -- one parting thought -- just remember, last person left, please turn out the lights and lock the door behind you. Goodbye.

JetBoatRich
01-11-2009, 09:13 PM
It looks like a lot of people are anxiously awaiting the demise of this website. After almost 141,000 threads, over 2.6 million posts and more than 21,00 registered members you'd think that maybe just a couple of folks would have something nice to say, but i guess not. Probably no reason to prolong the inevitable -- one parting thought -- just remember, last person left, please turn out the lights and lock the door behind you. Goodbye.
Nice summary:jawdrop:

Throttle
01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
there have been some good things said...

nautibouy70
01-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Come on guys, dont lose hope yet. If we all leave HB, then there will be NO MORE HB. Ya I've heard that alot of people arent getting their issues and are not satisfied with its content, which does suck, but with enough complaint letters or e-mails to the editor in chief, I think we CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
If HB is going belly up, then mabey the EIC can ask for a bailout like LARRY FLYNT.
NOTE: TO THE "EDITOR IN CHIEF" I cancelled my subcription because there was too many ads and I dont GIVE A SHIT on how your damm test drive went. YOU NEED TO CATER TO THE ONES THAT SUPPORT YOU OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE NO MORE SUPPORT! IN THE END YOU WILL LOSE!!!
RIVER RAT FOREVER!!! FLATBOTTOMS RULE!!! NOTHIN FASTER THAN A FLAT!!!

nautibouy70
01-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Come on guys, dont lose hope yet. If we all leave HB, then there will be NO MORE HB. Ya I've heard that alot of people arent getting their issues and are not satisfied with its content, which does suck, but with enough complaint letters or e-mails to the editor in chief, I think we CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
If HB is going belly up, then mabey the EIC can ask for a bailout like LARRY FLYNT.
NOTE: TO THE "EDITOR IN CHIEF" I cancelled my subcription because there was too many ads and I dont GIVE A SHIT on how your damm test drive went. YOU NEED TO CATER TO THE ONES THAT SUPPORT YOU OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE NO MORE SUPPORT! IN THE END YOU WILL LOSE!!!

lawbreaker2
01-12-2009, 06:21 AM
Readly do hate to see it go, ***boat has been around for years(the mag) I have many copys I also miss tailgate too.:( Truck'n ws doing good till they stoped puting boat in there mag. I was realy enjoying that.:D

JetBoatRich
01-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Still going:(

1978 Rogers
01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
It will be a shame to see it go. I met a lot of good people here, got tons of advice, bought some parts from other members, found out a lot about Rogers Custome Boats, etc.
And one last time, can I start/run my jet boat out of the water on its trailer? :D

Outlaw
01-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Lurked here for years, posted for a couple.
Bought a couple boats, met a few good peeps.
Sad to see what the new Managment did to it.

INFINITEJJ
01-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey, at least you got a damm nice dog out of it :D I hope :)
Great dog and great friends. We are not dead, just on a couple other sites.

sunkisst
01-12-2009, 10:01 AM
This was the first website that I ever frequented.I learned a lot about the computer alone just by visiting HB.Met a lot of folks here too.I may even add,Brett Bayne photographed my boat,and did a 4 page peice on it back a few years ago.Hate to see it end this way...RIP Hot Boat.

gigamurph
01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't post a whole lot on here anymore, but back in the day.....Saw many a sunrise talkin' w/ the likes of FuFu Queen, Hustler, Chestah Cheetah, RiverToys, Disco, RiverCutie, the boatnams, RiverDave, the HBJets, and many, many more. I for one, refuse to let go until all hope is lost. That and I go to log on and get nothin'! It's been fun to say the least!

wolf
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Being new you can't know, but this had been done well over a year ago. A lot of their readers were banned and the site shut down for a few months. Because of that, and a new website sprung up. Most went over there. Once back up, website managers took exception to the members of the new website and banned most of them.
The magazine changed hands and the new owners "reorganized" the magazine dismissing some of those who made the magazine what it was. The management had HB dismissed what the readership wanted and thus a new magazine and website appeared.
Most went to the new magazine that had some of the old HB people. This new magazine is thriving (hopefully) and their website rolls over many pages each day.
HB's management misjudged what their true readership wanted and dismissed their advice.
Of course this is my opinion and view of what happened. I'm sure that HB management has a different view and would love to hear it.

cave
01-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Being new you can't know, but this had been done well over a year ago. A lot of their readers were banned and the site shut down for a few months. Because of that, and a new website sprung up. Most went over there. Once back up, website managers took exception to the members of the new website and banned most of them.
The magazine changed hands and the new owners "reorganized" the magazine dismissing some of those who made the magazine what it was. The management had HB dismissed what the readership wanted and thus a new magazine and website appeared.
Most went to the new magazine that had some of the old HB people. This new magazine is thriving (hopefully) and their website rolls over many pages each day.
HB's management misjudged what their true readership wanted and dismissed their advice.
Of course this is my opinion and view of what happened. I'm sure that HB management has a different view and would love to hear it.
Well said.
We made HB what it was. Not the other way around. Now there's 2 other sites that are lucky :D to have us and hopefully doing well. I don't know what the managment was thinking when they kicked us all to the curb. I guess they didn't know many of us were like a Internet extended family. I peeked in here from time to time. Just wasn't the same. Kinda like coming back to the house you worked you Arse off have and its now the Ex's and her new hubbies.
All the best Hot Boat.

nautibouy70
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Well said.
We made HB what it was. Not the other way around. Now there's 2 other sites that are lucky :D to have us and hopefully doing well. I don't know what the managment was thinking when they kicked us all to the curb. I guess they didn't know many of us were like a Internet extended family. I peeked in here from time to time. Just wasn't the same. Kinda like coming back to the house you worked you Arse off have and its now the Ex's and her new hubbies.
All the best Hot Boat.
Thanks wolf, cave, but actually I've been here longer than you think. I've just been sitting here quietly on the side lines until now. I had a HB subscription for many years until now!. I've been running the Parker strip and LHC for 30+ years I actually saw The London bridge being built and was one of the first ones to drive my boat under it way before Havasu was what it is now.I remember HB from back in the good ol' days, Nothin but bad ass boats before the days of the off-shore racer. Not saying anything bad, But Im sure you guys did make a substantial contribution. I'm just a little upset to see a major institution like this go down the shitter because of some corporate executive assholes. When my football team starts loosing I dont go over to the other side, I stay loyal and try to fire the coach. So far the HB website is still up and running. Which means some ones paying the electrical bill so there not broke yet. I'm sure your account will be credited. As far a a lot of people being banned. well lets just say I've seen your pics and read your posts. I'm sure some diserved it while others did not. I've been reading this magazine since I was a kid and I hate to see it go! Never give up and dont give up without a fight! ONLY PUSSIES RUN AWAY!
RIVER RAT FOREVER!

wolf
01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks wolf, cave, but actually I've been here longer than you think. I've just been sitting here quietly on the side lines until now. I had a HB subscription for many years until now!. I've been running the Parker strip and LHC for 30+ years I actually saw The London bridge being built and was one of the first ones to drive my boat under it way before Havasu was what it is now.I remember HB from back in the good ol' days, Nothin but bad ass boats before the days of the off-shore racer. Not saying anything bad, But Im sure you guys did make a substantial contribution. I'm just a little upset to see a major institution like this go down the shitter because of some corporate executive assholes. When my football team starts loosing I dont go over to the other side, I stay loyal and try to fire the coach. So far the HB website is still up and running. Which means some ones paying the electrical bill so there not broke yet. I'm sure your account will be credited. As far a a lot of people being banned. well lets just say I've seen your pics and read your posts. I'm sure some diserved it while others did not. I've been reading this magazine since I was a kid and I hate to see it go! Never give up and dont give up without a fight! ONLY PUSSIES RUN AWAY!
RIVER RAT FOREVER!
Don't think that we ran. We where pushed away. This is a business, not a football team. If they tell me they don't want my service because of the type of service I want, I'll find it elsewhere. That's business. Not running away. If they want my money, they need to accommodate me, not the other way around.
Now I've sent e-mails (starting the day the new management took over) and letter's about what I wanted in a boating magazine. My correspondence was never acknowledged, nor were any questions answered until they told me that they were in charge and were going to run the magazine their way and slammed a few people in the process. This wasn't done in correspondence but in one of their editorials.
Now I've been boating for almost 50 years, so I too know a little about the subject. I too would love to see this institution stay, but I'm not going to give money to someone that completely disregards my view, much like I wouldn't buy a Chevette just to keep GM in business. That's just plain stupid.
You've eluded to the fact that you do not now have a subscription to the magazine. Is that loyalty or are you just talking about the website?
As far as seeing my posts or pictures that I've posted, I doubt that you have as I've only been posting under this name since I was banned with another name (not even close to this one).
As far as my loyalty to a team, mine moved (the players and the coaches) and changed their name and I've followed them. That's where my loyalty is. You can call me a pussy but at least I'm getting what I paid for.

nautibouy70
01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Don't think that we ran. We where pushed away. This is a business, not a football team. If they tell me they don't want my service because of the type of service I want, I'll find it elsewhere. That's business. Not running away. If they want my money, they need to accommodate me, not the other way around.
Now I've sent e-mails (starting the day the new management took over) and letter's about what I wanted in a boating magazine. My correspondence was never acknowledged, nor were any questions answered until they told me that they were in charge and were going to run the magazine their way and slammed a few people in the process. This wasn't done in correspondence but in one of their editorials.
Now I've been boating for almost 50 years, so I too know a little about the subject. I too would love to see this institution stay, but I'm not going to give money to someone that completely disregards my view, much like I wouldn't buy a Chevette just to keep GM in business. That's just plain stupid.
You've eluded to the fact that you do not now have a subscription to the magazine. Is that loyalty or are you just talking about the website?
As far as seeing my posts or pictures that I've posted, I doubt that you have as I've only been posting under this name since I was banned with another name (not even close to this one).
As far as my loyalty to a team, mine moved (the players and the coaches) and changed their name and I've followed them. That's where my loyalty is. You can call me a pussy but at least I'm getting what I paid for.
Sorry wolf, I was'nt calling you or anyone else a pussy, just makin a statment. Ya I'm just as upset over this as you are thats why I HAD a subscription up untill Dec 08. I havent seen anything for Jan 09 yet. I read the editorials and didnt like it either. I could not agree with you more on your views. The fact that your still here means your loyal. I guess we're all pissed.
I'm not giving up yet I've flooded them with e-mails too. I just hate to take the HB sticker off my truck.lol Hopefully it will get better. Peace!

cave
01-13-2009, 04:15 AM
nautibouy70, I wanted to stay but were shown the door. I didn't switch teams. The team is over there. This team didn't want my contributions. Believe me when I say I understand your feelings on this.
Too bad you didn't contribute more back when HB was still young. I bet you could have enlighten many to the history you have experienced. I wish you luck here. I do understand how much HB meant to so many. It meant a lot to me too. But I've moved onto the other sites. These sites are where we all met up after the shut down and asked, WHAT THE *UCK Happened. Thanks to those who stepped up and filled that void.
The internet was so young back then. We were all learning about this new media. HB was a big deal to me back then. The new management gambled and lost my trust. If some other group could save HB that would be great. for me the charm is gone. It was never the mag for me after I was told "if you want to see more hot rod lake boats go to the HB forums". The mag died back in the early 90's for me.

RVR SWEEP
01-13-2009, 07:14 AM
No January issue,phones shut down,but this site is still running.Looks like something in the works.No idea what the deal was,possibly Larry Flynt gets it back and will publish again if he thinks will be good for him.

Shreve"T"
01-13-2009, 09:35 AM
One last post of GOOD BYE!!!!!!

Outlaw
01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
No January issue,phones shut down,but this site is still running.Looks like something in the works.No idea what the deal was,possibly Larry Flynt gets it back and will publish again if he thinks will be good for him.
was he not in Washington DC asking for some bail out $$$ ?

nautibouy70
01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Wolf, Cave, After some seroius contemplation I've come to the realization that ya mabey its time to move on. So with that in mind I'll be joining you shortly. Sorry for the lack of contributions on my part. Now that the jealous ex-wife (who hated my boat) is gone and the kids have grown up (out of my hair) I'm more able to pursue my own interests, boats, girls, parties, etc...
Just to keep you informed, I sent a nasty letter to the administrator last night, and today they have disabled the option for direct contact. I wonder whats up with that? Hey Wolf, thanks for the insight, my friends and I used to hang out at a local night club then it came under new management, jacked up prices, and lousy service. So we all moved to a new spot. I Get it now just didnt realize how bad it was here. Too bad. See you on the other side! NAUTIBOUY70

nautibouy70
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
was he not in Washington DC asking for some bail out $$$ ?
Yes he was along with the Ceo of Girls Gone Wild!

gigamurph
01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I have my personal opinion of what drug this site down. And, while it was the HB staff that shut it down, it was not them that was the impedous of this downfall. And don't bother askin' me for an explanation 'cause if you haven't figured it out yet then my explanation would be wasted. That and I refuse to spend what could be the last moments of a "good thing f*cked up" on BS negative rhetoric. Besides; it's all been said before and fell on deaf ears.

yopengo
01-13-2009, 02:11 PM
R.I.P.:chi:

HDF WATERDOG
01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I have my personal opinion of what drug this site down. And, while it was the HB staff that shut it down, it was not them that was the impedous of this downfall. And don't bother askin' me for an explanation 'cause if you haven't figured it out yet then my explanation would be wasted. That and I refuse to spend what could be the last moments of a "good thing f*cked up" on BS negative rhetoric. Besides; it's all been said before and fell on deaf ears.
All these years and you finally set on your opinion. That might be a first for you. In my opinion they just forgot they're roots. Just look at the nane, "Hot Boat". Kind of says it all. Look at the covers and say I just got to buy that. Always a beautiful boat with a beautiful model too. Mostly something that many could afford and build in the garage with a bit of help from the tech area's. All could pick and choose and stay with-in a budget. Always gave the customer something to yearn for. An I've got'ta get that for my boat thing. A far cry to seeing a million dollar Eliminator on the cover that I'll never own. As somebody stated in another post, yes they economy has effected the industry as a whole. If Hot Boat had stuck to there roots, they probably wouldn't have been effected. Everybody has a dream and dreams never die. Rant over, blame it on da Gig.

BrettDawg
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
This was the first website that I ever frequented.I learned a lot about the computer alone just by visiting HB.Met a lot of folks here too.I may even add,Brett Bayne photographed my boat,and did a 4 page peice on it back a few years ago.Hate to see it end this way...RIP Hot Boat.
I had fun shooting that. Nice little boat. Hope to see you again in the next life.

Mod VP
01-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I had fun shooting that. Nice little boat. Hope to see you again in the next life.
Thanks for the pics and article on my boat also Brett,it was nice meeting you at Classic Boat Beach Bash.

jammin
01-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Let this be a lesson to us all-----your never more important than your customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gigamurph
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
All these years and you finally set on your opinion. That might be a first for you. In my opinion they just forgot they're roots. Just look at the nane, "Hot Boat". Kind of says it all. Look at the covers and say I just got to buy that. Always a beautiful boat with a beautiful model too. Mostly something that many could afford and build in the garage with a bit of help from the tech area's. All could pick and choose and stay with-in a budget. Always gave the customer something to yearn for. An I've got'ta get that for my boat thing. A far cry to seeing a million dollar Eliminator on the cover that I'll never own. As somebody stated in another post, yes they economy has effected the industry as a whole. If Hot Boat had stuck to there roots, they probably wouldn't have been effected. Everybody has a dream and dreams never die. Rant over, blame it on da Gig.Gotta agree w/ya WD. Blame it on da gig. No. Wait. That's not what I was gonna say. What I was gonna say was; have to agree w/ya WD. I and alot of others most likely, lost interest in the mag when it became what it became. While many own the what I like to call "Floatin' Bling, Look At Me", I became discouraged when they quit coverin' the "old school" boats and centered their content around the big dollar, "I'll never be able to afford one" boats. Don't get me wrong. I like the Eliminators, Nordics, DCBs, Laveys, and so on and so on; but I'm not one who likes to read about them much less pay to see 'em. I like to read the articles and look at the pix of the real "boats" built by "old school boaters". The guys who build 'em from the ground up. Never was impressed w/some guy who would go down to a dealer, throw X-amount of dollars at them and say "build it". And then have the audacity to say that they built their boat. And there was alot of that goin' on. Sorry, old school guy here and that's just the way I am. That is why I let my HB sub expire. Now, if I could afford one of those types of boats; I'm sure I'd take a different tack on things.
My original post was in actuality addressin' the demise and subsequent exilin' of posters and closure of the website. Alot of people got trapped in the mess that came about because of what I see as a few who just could not or would not garner a clue of the conequences to be borne by their disregard of the Admin of HB's attempts to keep the site civil and enjoyable. The drama got rediculous (you're always gonna have drama when you have more than one person involved) and the site began to have the feel of "swingers'" site rather than a "boating" site. Hey, don't get me wrong. To each their own. But this site was a public site which HB desparately tried to keep "on track". Everbody is so eager to blame HB for what happened, but IMO, and it is just my opinion; if the offenders had payed more heed to the repeated attempts at gettin' peops to be more civil and considerate by HB, there would not have been as much trouble. Began to look and sound like jr. high with the the BS and tryin' to get the last word in. I truly believe that HB did not want to shut the website down but had to out of necessity. It was not the board and the people were not here for the same thing that we were when we started postin' "heavy" back in 2001. That is why I quit postin' long before the "Fall of the HB Empire". I only came back after I heard that the drama was at a minimum and to "read" some of the old timers.
$hit! Now ya went and got me started and I messed up my "last days of HB" karma. Oh well; $hit happens.

cave
01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Last one out, Get the lights:eek: :D

BrettDawg
01-13-2009, 11:15 PM
It's a long way to Tipperary
It's a long way to go
To the sweetest girl I know
Goodbye, Piccadilly
Farewell Leicester Square
It's a long, long way to Tipperary
But my heart lies there

gigamurph
01-14-2009, 12:50 AM
It's a long way to go
To the sweetest girl I know
Goodbye, Piccadilly
Farewell Leicester Square
It's a long, long way to Tipperary
But my heart lies thereVery nicely done. That acapella stuff really chokes me up sometimes.:p

YldBoyz
01-14-2009, 08:59 AM
R.I.P
God Speed HOT BOAT! Good Times!
I had to get my last post in.

ULTRA21XS
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM
When is the last day ????

Girl Next Door
01-14-2009, 09:47 AM
The times, they are a changin. Dylan? Smaltzy but probably true. I stood at the magazine rack this month and for the first time in HOW many years? there was no Hot Boat. Hot Boat has been around too long to just let it go.

H20 Toie
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I have met some great people from this site and am sorry to see it go.
RIP HB

gigamurph
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
RIP HBI don't remember ever seein' any of your posts (stayed away durin' the "drama" years) but I gotta say.....love that avatar! That's funny and if it's your wife or GF, no offense meant and if it is, I bet you got your a$$ in big time trouble for takin' it!:p

H20 Toie
01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't remember ever seein' any of your posts (stayed away durin' the "drama" years) but I gotta say.....love that avatar! That's funny and if it's your wife or GF, no offense meant and if it is, I bet you got your a$$ in big time trouble for takin' it!:p
Nope not my wife and that was one of the tame pics from that night so she wasnt even mad about me posting it.

gigamurph
01-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Nope not my wife and that was one of the tame pics from that night so she wasnt even mad about me posting it.Well if that's not the wife or GF and that's the tame pic, let's send this place off w/a bang and post up the racier ones! J/K

topless
01-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Well if that's not the wife or GF and that's the tame pic, let's send this place off w/a bang and post up the racier ones! J/K
Gig, it's one of those swinger party pictures you don't appreciate.:eek:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Holy bat crap! Who let you in here???
Hello, Brett :D

BrettDawg
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Holy bat crap! Who let you in here???
Hello, Brett :D
Hiya.
I was banned from this site.
Muahahahahahahaha.

cc322
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
RIP HB
Ditto

gigamurph
01-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Gig, it's one of those swinger party pictures you don't appreciate.:eek:Who the hell said I didn't appreciate a buncha guys pimpin' their wives/GFs? I not only appreciate every last one of those pix; I also "right click" alot of 'em and sell 'em back to the "posers".:p Wait; I meant "posters".:p:p

HammerDown
01-16-2009, 07:24 AM
RIP HB
Yep, I agree.

INFINITEJJ
01-17-2009, 08:35 AM
This is the most action ***boat has had in a long time.
KABOOM!