PDA

View Full Version : Running a Forum, 101

shockwaveharry
01-17-2009, 01:42 AM
How forums are supposed to work:
An all too common symptom of all the bitching and arguing IMO... good members evaporate because its not fun anymore. :(
Members will come and go. BS happens but it all comes out in the wash. The forum largely regulates itself.
"Moderate Moderation" keeps the forum safe by removing inappropriate content when necessary and not allowing things to get out of hand.
What happens when you shake up a wildly successful (membership wise) forum by implementing massive bans and removing the most active and interesting members? New forum "stars" rise and, drunk on their newfound power, promptly turn an entertaining site into a ghost town. Rumors spread about those responsible for "ruining the best boating site on the net", loyal readers feel betrayed and find themselves letting their subscriptions lapse as they pick up issues of competing magazines at the grocery store and lurking in their forums instead.
It's been very sad to watch the demise of a community I've enjoyed being a part of for so long. Hot Boat had street cred. Thats gone forever and we all know exactly when it left.
Good Bye, Hot Boat :(

Tom Brown
01-17-2009, 07:02 AM
I think Rex is right. I would point out, however, that sometimes members leave because of oppressive moderating.

chub
01-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Hello Tom Brown! Howzit been for you? Hope all is well. Happy New Year to all!:D

ULTRA26 # 1
01-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Kind of odd that members are being banned while this place is in the process of shutting down.
Blown472 banned again :confused:

canuck1
01-17-2009, 11:41 AM
I think Rex is right. I would point out, however, that sometimes members leave because of oppressive moderating.
HMMMMMM..... where have I seen this??????.......:idea:

HDF WATERDOG
01-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Just like most business's or forum's, new blood is needed to prosper. The peeps of HB's favorite reponse was STFU. Then it got worse. It is what you make it. Basic 101

Keith E. Sayre
01-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Shockwave Harry: where in the world have you been? I've missed you
and your input the past couple of years. Call me or come see me in the
Nordic booth at the LA show.
Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats

Mandelon
01-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats
Keith are you sure you will still be with Magic by then.....:D You could be found at any of several booths.... ;)

Tom Brown
01-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Hello Tom Brown! Howzit been for you? Hope all is well. Happy New Year to all!:D
Hi Chub! It's great to hear from you.
I've been great. Where do you hang out these days? I mean, besides here?
HMMMMMM..... where have I seen this??????.......:idea:
Get bent, you igloo living, chain smoking, penguin blowing jerk.
Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats
Hi Keith.
I didn't know you were with Nordic now. It's good to see you still around and read one of your posts.
Take care of yourself, bud. :)

Keith E. Sayre
01-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Tom: you too sir. Sorry I missed you New Years Eve. I would have stayed if I knew you were coming.
Mandelon: One old timer to another, how you been?
Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats

Tom Brown
01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
No worries, Keith. :)
I expect to be in the neighborhood more often. Perhaps we will have a chance to hang out again. :cool:

shaun
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
test