PDA

View Full Version : Well, this had better do it! I've got a sickness.

mud duck
06-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Well, I'm starting to think this is a sickness.
In April I had put in a full pump kit, new impeller, oil pan, new cam, new intake and a new Holley carb.
Today I learned that I cracked my new impeller. So while I'm ordering....
I went ahead and decided to swap bowels to a split style and order up a new droop. So, with this month's additions, what did I forget? Will my heavy '75 Taylor get up and go? I'm trying to keep my RPMs down to 4,500 or less to manage my 455 wisely, but I've got a sickness that requires more speed. What have I forgotten?

LVjetboy
06-25-2002, 06:11 PM
Only that there is NO CURE for the sickness?

Moomawnster
06-27-2002, 01:40 AM
Hmmm , Well young man It seems you have the "speed bug" This is a serious condition not covered by any insurance policy, If allowed to run it's course a person can expect to wind up like Wide Open 545 with a paper thin{150lb} hull holding up a BIG blower motor. If your hull has more than 2 inches of freeboard you don't have a bad case , yet, I wish you well, just don't be like me and strip your boat to the paint for weight reduction , your passengers deserve seats ! not PFD'S

mud duck
06-27-2002, 05:17 PM
So I'm just wondering if I should order up a set of those Edelbrock/Mondello aluminum heads.
When do you say when? I'm so confused!
Head? No head? Head? No head? Oh geeezzze.

Moomawnster
06-28-2002, 04:33 AM
If you can afford them , go for it! I doubt you will be disappointed . Aluminum heads are lighter get an aluminum manifold too if ya don't have one .
[This message has been edited by Moomawnster (edited June 28, 2002).]

mud duck
06-28-2002, 08:05 PM
Yes, I put an aluminum intake on in April. The heads, I believe, may also help the oil troubles these old 455 Olds seam to have. Then the 10 qts of oil would probably be over kill. But, I'm sure not going to remove it now that it is installed.
Another problem is that the summer is here now and I don't want to tie the boat up any longer than absolutely necessary. Maybe I'll order them, wait until they arrive, and just swap the heads in one day.
But then again, when do you say when? I'm always scanning the internet for another, better boat. This week I like the Carrera open bow's the best.
Decisions, decisions.

Moomawnster
06-29-2002, 01:20 AM
Hell, If ya got that kind of jack just buy the Carrera AND work on the 455 ! Heh Heh ...

Bense468
06-29-2002, 12:18 PM
What have I forgotten?
The chevy

Infomaniac
06-29-2002, 01:44 PM
Mud Duck: If you get that boat to go as fast as your illness leads you to. Your hull will need changed. Get a tunnel boat with a Chevy and you will be much happier and you wallet will be thicker. Those taylor boats do not handle well when you put the HP to them. Seen it many times.