PDA

View Full Version : Hepl Oldrigger,Todd,Barny

Jake W
09-16-2003, 07:47 PM
I am working on a 79 Kachina and about to tackle the hook in the bottom and a low spot on the deck.Hear is my question should I use thin matt or cloth and resin or another type of filler to take care of these places?What ever I use I want to be able to put gell over them.I know Todd used some kind of filler on Cyclones boat but never got the name of it.
Thanks Jake :confused:

corlish
09-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Jake,
You can use everything you mentioned ... bondo, short strand filler (duraglass), and matt. Its all polyester based and its all compatible with gel. Like anything else, the amount of "filling" i.e. thickness should determine what type of material to use.
If you do a search on the fourms for "How to blueprint boat bottoms" you should find a thread with step by step instructions by Jeff Bennet.
Good Luck!
Corey

Jake W
09-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks Corlish I relly did not want to use bondo but it is good to know I can for the fine spots.Have you ever hear of Rage Gold it is lime green in color when you mix it.This is probely if any type of bondo I would use.Where are the rest of you guys sniffing some Glass?
eek! Thanks Jake :D

TRG
09-17-2003, 06:45 PM
hey jake, i used "cabosyl"(spelling?)on mikes boat,but unfortunatly, my boat had more than a 1/4'' of hook and some delam so i just glassed it in. todd

Jake W
09-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks Todd I put a stright edge on the botttom a few munits ago and there is only like a 1/16 in hook 3 feet not too bad but still want to fix it.
Jake :D

DUCKY
09-17-2003, 07:38 PM
If it's only 1/16", you should just grind it out. I am sure the bottom can handle that, espesially right at the transom. Use an air-file or board with 36grit, and go to town, checking it regularly, of course.

Cole Sanger
09-18-2003, 08:45 PM
I used Evercoat Rage on my interior before I had it gelcoated by Havasu Barney. It came out looking great. The stuff is strong, but sands easily. Good Luck.