PDA

View Full Version : Freeze plugs

cncer691
05-29-2002, 06:55 PM
What is a good method for removing old, rusted freeze plugs on a 455. The center of one is almost totally gone. I'm having a hall of a time getting it out. You would think that I'd be a pro at it by now. It seems they go bad on me the begining of every season.

searssears1
05-29-2002, 07:27 PM
cncer691,Just take flathead screwdriver and a hammer and tap on one side of the plug.When it turns sideways use a pair of pliers and it should come out.

Oldsquirt
05-29-2002, 07:30 PM
The easiest thing to do is to knock the plug into the block. Yes, that sounds odd, but once the plug is in, it can be rotated to a convenient position to be pulled back out. I generally take a large socket that fits inside the plug and use that as a drift to push the plug in evenly. Usually doesn't take much effort. Now turn the plug sideways and pry it back out OR grab it with ViseGrips and twist and pull.
Once they are out, replace them with BRASS freeze plugs. You should have no problem finding them thru any good machine shop or auto parts store.

cncer691
05-30-2002, 02:23 AM
I was tryig the knock it in method OldsSquirt, But the plug was so cooroded that it just knockes out the center of the plug. It is stuck to the block pretty tight. I'll try again, though.

mister460
05-30-2002, 08:41 AM
Sears is right. Big flathead screwdriver. Knock an edge in and it'll turn. Usually you won't even need pliers; just pry them out with the screwdriver. And then, when you get brass ones, smear RTV on the water side of the plug so it seals it. This will make them last longer.

Harlem
06-01-2002, 10:51 AM
use a screw in slide hammer

TorinoJet
06-01-2002, 02:45 PM
I got it out. I messed up a 3/4 socket and extension to do it, but it finally moved. What a bitch. I can usually pop a srewdriver in them, and twist them out, but not this time.

searssears1
06-01-2002, 04:13 PM
Cool.

Cas
06-01-2002, 09:00 PM
I'm kind of curious as to why you're going through so many freeze plugs?
I ran a 455 for 11 years and never had to change any.

TorinoJet
06-02-2002, 05:01 AM
I really don't know why so many. They mostly rust out on the left hand side when it sits for the winter. I think sometimes they get replaced w/ steel if that is all that is available. I've had to do some emergency freeze plug repairs at the ramp before. I now always pop the engine hatch and look at EVERYTHING really close before I hit the open water.

checkmate76
06-12-2002, 01:17 PM
I've always used rubber freeze plugs. never had any problems with them and...you guessed it "they don't rust out!"

wriedt76
06-13-2002, 08:11 PM
Just spent a hour trying to remove a rusty freeze plug. tried a slide hammer to pull it out,, long prybars,dremmel to grind it out,only find that tapping it in with a punch was the easiest and fastest way to loosen them up and then pull them out. Just be carefull not to nick the block !Got three out in ten minutes ! Going to try the rubber expanding plugs, so I can clean the sand and mud out of the block. Anyone tried rubber freeze plugs ? ,will they blow out ?