PDA

View Full Version : so many questions so little knowledge

newbie Mike
09-24-2003, 04:08 PM
I am getting close to firing up the Biesemeyer Jacuzzi 12WJ pump and 460 FOrd engine, log style headers. Engine dyno'd out at 390hp and 396 pounds of torque.
what water temps to you guys like to run at?
Just bought a Berkley 12 JC-a unit complete ( I know I know) but so many of you guys have Berkleys and this boat will never be fast (its 23'4" long and heavy). I think I would have fun making a rooster tail. Do you guys think it would be worth the effort to change the Jacuzzi for the Berkley??? :confused:

HotRod Sprint
09-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Hey Mike,
First ask the engine builder on the water temp to run, it can make a difference in how it breaks in and after it is broken in on how long it lasts. From the dyno readings it sounds basically stock, so I would guess around 160 to 190 degrees, but then I'm not a ford man. As for the pump, I have a YJ, and am seriously considering switching to a Berk of some kind. My questions would be, have you put any money into the Jacuzzi, do you know the condition of the Berk, will it be a straight across change-out (probably not), are you willing to take the extra time and effort for the mods to make the berk fit???? Especially after reading some of your other posts on your project, and knowing how close you are to finishing? Some things to think about. Can't wait to see it done, since I live here to.
Rod

LakesOnly
09-24-2003, 06:15 PM
I like to run my Ford at about 160-180 when at speed. In the 5 zone, temp may go up a bit...but I really don't mind adjusting my gate valve for different conditions, if necessary.
Since a gate valve is in no way a thermostat, I feel you shouldn't really push running hotter than 180 or so; in an open cooling system with a gate valve, the operating temp varies so much depending on how your running the engine (trolling versus flat out, etc.).
I think you'd see quite a noticable improvement with the Berkely pump.
LO

1Bahnerjet
09-24-2003, 06:31 PM
newbie Mike:
Do you guys think it would be worth the effort to change the Jacuzzi for the Berkley??? :confused: http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43turnyouon-med.jpg
-------
Thats BANNER with an H