PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Help

2prop
04-22-2002, 09:48 AM
What do you guy's sugguest for a good anchor for an 33' offshore boat?

spectras only
04-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Danforth is a good all purpose anchor,especially on sandy bottoms .There's a chart that tells you which # you need for a particular boat size.

RumRunner
04-22-2002, 02:49 PM
I had a Danforth with the 33' Scarab, and a 15lb Mushroom to toss of the back to keep her steady !

MrHavasuCat
04-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Box Anchor (the large one).

Tinkerboater
04-22-2002, 05:44 PM
I have a 34 scarab and I use 2 danforth. Must use 6 to 8 ft of chain to make them hook but boy do they hook. held 8 boats against current in a mud bottom.

2prop
04-22-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks guy's ,went to the lake yesterday, kinda windy and I messed with the boat most of the day, I was using a Chenne (i think thats is the correct name) it was suppose to have 4 times the holding power all it did was slide across the bottom, it never did hook so back to the old Boat US book I go i'll try the big Danforth and hope like hell it works....................Thanks again,,
[This message has been edited by 2prop (edited April 22, 2002).]

AudioGuy
04-22-2002, 07:38 PM
The box anchor the large one, i have it and it is GREAT!!!

spectras only
04-23-2002, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE] it never did hook so back to the old Boat US book I go i'll try the big Danforth The rule of anchoring is ; the length of chain should be the same as the boat's length [33avs scarab=33 feet of chain]to keep the shank level on the bottom while you're hooking.Also have a long rode to keep your scope in prospective,meaning at least a 100 feet.I have the danforth,and it will hold my boat and two more in the very fast running Fraser river.The longer the boat ,the longer the rope needs to be.If I remember well, the anchors also have a tensile strength rating besides holding power.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 23, 2002).]

2prop
04-23-2002, 07:04 PM
Hey Spectra's Only The Chenne anchor stated that no chain required thats why I bought it maybe if it had a chain it would hold ? anyway I did'nt know that about the lenght of the chain, so the weight of the chain keeps the anchor down and pointing toward the bottom,I never liked all the chain mess afraid of scraches and combersomeness, but if thats what it takes......I bet those people at the lake thouhgt I was either drunk or nevered boated before, it just kept moving and blowing with the wind I finally pointed it toward the beach and pulled it up on the sand (a no no for me)Thanks Attlia....

spectras only
04-24-2002, 08:37 AM
The idea behind the chain to keep the shank flat on the bottom,thus aiding the fluke to dig in deeper and deeper when dragged . [Yo,still didn't send me pics on the AVS http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif] BTW ,I always drop the anchor off the side ,then walk up to the bow to fasten the rope to avoid nasty scratches,let alone dropping the anchor accidentally on the deck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 24, 2002).]