PDA

View Full Version : My project takes another bad turn

sidewound
03-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Man, this boat thing is gettin old. Everytime I start one thing 5 more things pop up that need to be dealt with.
After spendin about 7 hours in the driveway with the hotsy I finally got the 2 inches of mud, sand and grease washed out of the engine compartment. YEAH! It's clean. Heay! Wait a minute! What the hells that?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114aerth-med.jpg
Man someone really missed on the O-ring installation here. That sucks. Now I'll have to take the transom plate off. Man did they have the silicone piled on that baby. Made me wish I had bought stock in silicone. Oh well. I got a new diverter so I got work to do back there anyway. Got the transom plate off and couldn't get it over the nozzle so I pulled that and when I peered into my bowl. WHAT THE HELLS THAT?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114DCP_1199-med.jpg
Wonder how long that's been in there? I don't think we that kinda rock around here.
So I'm really cruisin now. Got the transom pleate off, got the rock out of the bowl, might as well get that handhole opened up and check out the impeller and feel for play in the shaft. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! My IMPELLER looks like crap too.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114h-med.jpg
The ice is off most of the lake now and piled up along the shore. It was above 50 today and sunny. I WANNA GO BOATIN! Be glad when I get it up. My new motor is waitin at the builders for its home and I'm runnin in circles. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? Well I'm goin back to the shop.
Peace Man.
CESAR

77charger
03-22-2003, 08:38 PM
i bet that rock did some of the damage on that impeller,Well look at it this way your boat will perform better when you are done.That impeller can possibly be fixed look into that.
I know the feeling of working on a boat only to find more last year all i did was add to my boat and it still needed more(interior,floor.I can do the floor but need cash for the interior so i decided instead of put more money into it i used the money for a down payment on another boat that the whole family can enjoy.

Infomaniac
03-22-2003, 09:13 PM
And all this started with a wash job?
Who encoraged you to do that?
It can only get better from here.

sidewound
03-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Man is that green stuff they coat the pump parts with tough or what? This pumps 30 yrs old and it's still there. Wish the gell held up as good.
Peace Man
CESAR

sidewound
03-22-2003, 09:20 PM
INFOMAN YOU SPOKE THE TRUTH ABOUT WASHING!!!!!!!

cyclone
03-23-2003, 10:39 AM
BOAT=bust out another thousand...its all downhill from her bro. good luck!

Bow Tie Omega
03-23-2003, 06:16 PM
You guys, dont curse the man. Do not ever suggest it can not get any worse, because one thing that I have learned about going through my entire boat this winter is that it can always get worse. My trailer just bit me yesterday. $1000 turned into $1600 in about 1 hour. It never &^%$*&^ ends. Everytime that I realize that my wife and I are doing well financially, I wake up and remember that I am restoring a boat and live in SoCal. I will wish you luck though Sidewound and hope that you have no more suprises cry
[ March 23, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

Hermosa
03-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Sidewound, what town in Iowa, do you use that jet in Okoboji, could be a little too low profile for there in the summer, gets a little rough.
[ March 23, 2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Hermosa ]

skeepwerkzaz
03-23-2003, 10:25 PM
The green stuff is zinc oxide primer, very tough stuff.
A little FYI the O ring was rolled because they are NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to put in properly. I spoke with a few expert pump builders when I was attempting to put my transon plate w/o ring on my hull, and they all said, that since rolling it in almost inevitable, and your going to wind up caulking the shit out of it anyway, so just leave out the o ring altogether. Just do a good job taping off the area and use good quality marine caulk. You will actually be surprised how little clearance there is between the ID of the transom cover and the OD of the pump bowl. Mine only took about a 16th of an inch of caulk and looks damn good!
:)

sidewound
03-24-2003, 06:03 PM
If anyone has a crosscut view of a berk I could use one. Thanks. The $$$$ are slipping away before my eyes. Infoman. Why didn't I listen. I'm never washing anything again. Dirty is groovy!!! I LOVE DIRT NOW!!!
Peace Man
CESAR