PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a 350 for sale?

RiverReady2
06-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Anybody over here on the west coast got a decent 350 that runs well for sale?
Here is the situation, a buddy of mine blew his motor on his jet boat. The thing is its a AMC 360 and acording to the engine builder he took it to the block is shot. I suggested finding a used 350 for sale and make the changes to use that. Well he's hell bent on rebuilding the AMC. He has found a new block and he is not sure if the crank is shot or not he has to talk to the engine builder. As far as the heads they are ok. So it looks like its going to be a block, possibly the crank and all new pistons and rods. Plus all the prep for the block. With all that aside is it even worth rebuilding an AMC 360 or is it better as an anchor? :confused: Especially with all the work he is going to put into it. If I can find one, I think a slightly used 350 should do just fine. I'm not sure but I think a 350 will bolt up ok to his panther bell housing?? :confused:
What do you guys think? and Does any body have a decent 350 for sale?
Thanks for any and all your help!
-Justin :)

skeepwerkzaz
06-17-2003, 09:12 PM
IMHO....AMC 360 jet boat motor= waste of time and money.
SBC may be a better way to go if you are not driving a big heavy boat. But a BBC is, again in my opinion, the best and most reasonably priced "Bang for your buck." Your buddy is probably dead set on spending a pile of money and having the best and fastest amc/panther powered jetboat on the planet, and do you know what? Let him. He may be an AMC dude, that is his deal, and nothing that you will say will sway him. If you don't like it.....then buy a boat, and do it better. :D (thats what I did!)
Clay
P.S. the classifieds (auto parts and accessories) are FULL of used 350's, theres probably one a few miles from your house.

Frosty_pop
06-17-2003, 09:15 PM
If he's going to go through the trouble of rerigging for a diferent motor, go BBC. It's alot more work and money to build up a small block that works good in a jet boat

Duke
06-17-2003, 09:45 PM
might as well get a bbc like everyone else suggested, you could find a basicly stock 454 on the recycler/classifieds for cheap
and i'm sure it'll beat a sbc/amc 360 anyday of the week

RiverReady2
06-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Ok so my buddy decided to go with a BBC. Now the question is swaping the AMC 360 to the BBC. Is he going to need a new bell housing for his Panther? I don't imagine the BBC has the same bolt pattern as the AMC? If anybody can shed some light on this that would be great.
-Justin

wfodude
06-18-2003, 08:32 PM
Amc has its own bastard pattern. He will need a new bell housing,front mounts and a new set of exhaust manifolds. Not a cheapo swap.BTW. Don't make fun of AMC's till you run one,they do very well. I built a 401 for a guys jeep and let me tell you it hauled ass.Oh yeah a 401 is a direct bolt in for a 360