PDA

View Full Version : Drag Race Data Loggers

Max_182
04-26-2003, 09:59 PM
What's the hot ticket on data loggers? Anyone running one?

Kindsvater Flat
04-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Why would you want to keep data on a jet? Wait, you're that guy with the 100+ jet.
Doesn't Autometer have data asquisition?
BTW post it in Gear Heads or V-drives also. Quite a few racers in there to.
[ April 26, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Kindsvater Flat ]

Max_182
04-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Yea, and it's going to be a 120+ jet this year probably! I just bought a MSD 7 Programmable for it too.

Kindsvater Flat
04-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Are you getting closer or still trial fitting everything? I almost stopped by the shop today. Had another little league game.

Max_182
04-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Done with mock-up for the most part. Had to move the pedal shaft forward a foot, offset it to the left for the new 2 seat layout, make seat mounts, motor mounts, engine plate, do the dry sump pluming, mount the oil tank, and I'm not going to be able to use those two rotomolded tanks I bought. I'll be making my own, out of polypro again. Went down to Sac and got three 4x8' sheets of 1/4" material last week. I weld it with a nitrogen torch. Makes great tanks.
Assembling the motor lately.
Miller time now. Bed shortly. <yawn>

Duane HTP
04-27-2003, 05:50 AM
We use the Edelbrock Qwik Data on The R & D Express and it has really been a great help. We got it through MPD.

Sangster
04-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Try www.banderlog.com (http://www.banderlog.com)

Max_182
04-27-2003, 03:56 PM
I see that unit at Summit as well as Edelbrock's site. What do you get with the basic unit? It mentions several analog and digital "inputs" and only mentions a shaft rpm sensor. What "sensors" does it come with? I'm most interested in mass fuel flow, fuel pressure, NOS pressure, an accelerometer, air temp and/or density and a full compliment of exhaust temps.
TIA
Rk
Duane HTP:
We use the Edelbrock Qwik Data on The R & D Express and it has really been a great help. We got it through MPD.

Duane HTP
04-28-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm sure you could buy and set up sendors to do all that you have mentioned. The sensors are not cheap though. We don't monitor much on the engine,(fuel pressure and RPM), we go to the dyno for that. We are mostly monitoring pump pressures and functions of that sort. Intake pressure, bowl pressure, speed, etc.

Cs19
04-28-2003, 07:28 PM
max, what are you building? i just did all the same stuff you mentioned on my boat. lotsa work!

Kindsvater Flat
04-28-2003, 09:23 PM
cs19:
max, what are you building? i just did all the same stuff you mentioned on my boat. lotsa work! It will be cool when its done cs19. This is what he is starting with. Should kick some serious ass once its up and running.
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/albright-boat-1.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/albright-boat-4.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/albright-boat-3.jpg

Cs19
04-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Here is what i found on mpd website. Check it out.
http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/QdataPg1.jpg
Unlock the secrets of your jet drive!
MPD has adapted the Qwikdata System for capturing information about your:
Jet Drive, Boat and Engine
Now there is affordable Data Aquisition!
These systems can be seen in action at NJBA races on the following boats:
Jerry Hicks' UFJ record holder, CP 19 tunnel, "Hot Tub"
Joe LaKamp's SJ, sub 9 sec, CP 18 gullwing, "BobSnipper"
Ron Segni's SJ & 9.00 champion, CP 18 gullwing, "2nd to None"
Jim Burrows' CJ Champ, CP 19 tunnel, "Rat Bastard"
Mark Roznos' 9.00 bracket, CP 18 gullwing, "Sweet Thunder"
Phil Magana's 9.50 bracket, CP 19 tunnel, "MisFit"
Brett Anderson's 9.50 contender, CP 19 gullwing, "Low Profile"
Marty Stretch's 8.35 sec/129mph, Daytona 21, "Stretch Limo"
Bob Prigmore's 10.0 sec contender, Southwind 19 tunnel, "Abracadabra"
Jak & Debbie Young's PE class, Brendella 19, "Black Mamba"
Henry & Carol Morris' fleet of East Coast drag boats
Away from the races, systems are in use on the 21ft Daytona, "Turkey Lips II", and MPD's own 21ft Hallet test mule.
What data to collect? Try some of these: keel pressure, inlet presure, bowl pressure, boat speed & acceleration, nozzle velocity, battery voltage, engine rpm, Jetaway rpm, pop-off valve trigger, cooling water pressure & temp, oil pressure & temp, fuel pressure at pump & carb, exhaust gas temp, air/fuel ratio, crankcase vacuum, manifold vacuum & boost, WOT, N2O pressure, N2O fuel pressure, N2O on/off, and .........
What data do we recommend collecting? Start with the jet. Go for inlet pressure, bowl pressure and boat speed. Those three are what a performance-minded jetter needs to know when trying new jet parts. Acceleration, rpm and battery voltage are gathered by default. Regarding the engine, we suggest you first optimize your powerplant on a dyno. This is the quickest and most efficient way to do the job. After that you might run checks on any of the engine systems - fuel, lubrication, cooling, etc. If the engine uses a vacuum system on the crankcase in conjuction with very light tension oil rings, then a vacuum monitor is very useful to keep track of ring seal. Of course nitrous equipped engines benefit from careful observation of the bottle pressure and added fuel supply.
Once you see these parameters charted at 50 to 500 times per second it's hard to go back to looking at the old guages and tach. Those antique instruments miss most of the interesting events that happen in your jet boat's systems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
more info
Qwikdata by Edelbrock home page