PDA

View Full Version : Installing Starter In 455

GlastronGuy
05-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Are the shims that come with a starter used to move the starter away from the flywheel? IE, give you more clearance between the bendix and flywheel? The bell housing is on and I don't have a lot of room to work. I can engage the bendix with a screw driver thru a peephole in the housing, but it doesn't disengage on it's own. It stays in contact with the flywheel. A tap with the screwdriver will disengage it. I took out the old starter and the bendix is stuck in the engaged position. I wonder if this was caused by improper shimming in the first place? If I put power to the starter with no shims in place it seems to work. (The old starter had no shims and lasted all of two years.) The bendix engages and disengages. But I don't want to have to do it again if this one burns up too. I can't get a feeler guage in to check clearances. What the proper way to shim it?

LeadFootTheRabbit
05-26-2002, 08:49 PM
Its kind of trail and error with this. If the bendex disenguages on it's own and there appears to be no other bind then I'd say run it. good luck LDFTRBT

Oldsquirt
05-26-2002, 10:18 PM
Hey Chris, good to hear about the quick service you received from Mondello with the starter. Like LFTR said, you could probably get away with running it as is. However,this might result in premature wear of bearings in starter and I know you don't want to repeat this routine in 2 years!!! I would recommend putting in the thinnest shim required to allow the drive pinion to engage and retract without dragging or sticking, using your screw driver test. Without being able to remove bellhousing to check actual pinion-to-ring gear clearance, it will be a trial-and-error operation. Good Luck!

GlastronGuy
05-27-2002, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys. It took both shims in order for the bendix to move freely. And your right Craig, I don't want to do this every two years. It's so tight in there that you can only turn some of the bolts on the motor mounts about 1/8 of a revolution each turn. I have an idea to increase clearances though. I am thinking about doing a Jet Stoogely and mounting the motor to 4 milk crates then using the driveshaft out of my Studebaker to turn the pump. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

GlastronGuy
06-03-2002, 05:21 PM
Notice anything wrong?
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/oldsmoboat/Starter.jpg

Wet Dream
06-03-2002, 06:25 PM
Are you referring to the length of the shaft, or is it stuck that way?

GlastronGuy
06-03-2002, 06:33 PM
It was stuck in that position.

Oldsquirt
06-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Hey Chris, did you get curious and pop the end cover off the solenoid? Considering the stuck drive and the external corrosion, I'd bet the inside was a mess.

GlastronGuy
06-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Nah Craig, I just sent it back to Mondello's for replacement. That bendix must have been spinning all the time with the motor.