PDA

View Full Version : questions for olds people

joe
05-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Hello i have a 455 with a milodan 7 qt pan
with the milodan high volume pume the machine shop that build the motor did something to the cam bearings to slow the oil down it has a holly 600 carb the pump is a jc-a also rebuilt.The motor got to 4700 rpm max.what would be the max rpm i shounld run for any lengh of time
thanks joe

sgdiv7
05-10-2002, 12:30 PM
If your fuel ratio is right and your oil temp stays low run it till it runs out of gas at what ever rpm you want as long as the oil psi. stays at 50 psi.
Bill

Q-ball
05-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Joe, I also have the 455 with 7qt. Mildon pan, HV pump, ect. Just in case you are unaware, the Olds is famous (from what everybody tells me) for pumping all the oil to the top of the motor at higher rpm's and not letting it get back to the pan quick enough to stop the pan from being sucked dry! I have been told by many of the helpful people on this site to be nice to the big oldsmobile, and in return it will be nice to you. By the way, the first motor in the boat I bought from my dad lasted over 10 years with a stock pump and 5qt. pan. That motor would turn 4300 rpm's all day long with no problems. Hope this helps a little, but if not call MONDELLOS preformance olds (or check out the website) They tell me he is the oldsmobile god!!! Good luck!

joe
05-10-2002, 09:34 PM
i bought the boat motor went south then i had the motor rebuilt took it out for a test run after 30 min lost 2 rods boy was i happy to have to rebuild the motor again
this time i am being very gentle so i am looking for advise there are a lot of knowledgable people on here want to get their opion
have thought about putting a AA impeller just to keep rpm down
thanks

bobz
05-11-2002, 03:05 PM
if your motor is still apart i will give you some advice. use oil restritors on the mains and on the block. if you have a 68 to 72 block you need to grind the corner out of the block were the oil hole drain from the heads. on 73 to 76 blocks they are much bigger if you can compair these block it is why the oil will drain faster in some block and get stuck in others.you will also have to cut the head gasket in the corner a liitle and the flow will be improved. also take a 3/8 in drill and ream out the holes in the heads they will work much better. my "C" head had a piece of metal hidden in there. you will also need to drill out the main berrings and side notch the rods. mondello has a great tech manual for all the tricks.