PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here..Sutphen Question

TJS
07-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Hi,
This is my first post here. I am looking at a Sutphen Sport (18ft). It has no motor (set up for BBC).The hull is nice no cracks anywhere. The paint is mint (needs a little buffing) the interior is in very good condition. The pump is a Berk with the hand hole outside the transom. I looked inside the hand hole and there is a stainless shaft with I think an alum impeller. I lifted up and down on the shaft and there was some play (how much is normal). The play felt about .050 or so. It has all the wiring nice and neat and trim tabs as well. The trailer is in very good shape as well.
There are two alum fuel tanks (rect) that are in perfect condition. However, I think some glass work was done in the back cause the tanks are not bolted down (how do you do this). Also the steering moves back and forth with no binding. The person is selling the boat for his cousin and he could not answer all my questions. The motor mount brackets on the stringers are missing as well as the rear bracket for the bellhousing area. Also missing is the driveshaft and flywheel adapter. I did not see any headers laying around either. So I asked the person showing me the boat to get back to me with answers. He is asking 2750.00 for the boat. He showed me the title and the serial numbers are all there as well. I know a little about these boats cause I redid a CHeyene for a buddy of mine a while back. He is in process of building a motor for his boat. So he has mounts and flywheel adapter laying around.
I own a welding and fabrication shop that is pretty well equipped (lathe, Bpt. milling machine, tubing bender, Welders, plasma cutters...etc.) I know I can copy the mouting system and the adpater plate for the bell housing and also I can machine a new flywheel to driveshaft adapter. I would rather not spend a full day or so fabbing this stuff up. So I will wait for the owner to get back to me to see if he has this stuff before I make him an offer. Sorry this is so long. I will post some pics as soon as I make some room on my server. I do not see many Sutphens anywhere on the internet really. What do you people think I should offer him. I am in Connecticut and jets are kind of rare around here so people are asking top dollar for even junk.
Sorry so long. Thanks for your time. Here are two pics. What Berk Model pump is that. Can I convert it to a spit bowl to put a droop and a diverter on it ?
http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/sutphen1.jpg
http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/sutphen2.jpg
T.J.
[ July 02, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: TJS ]

Nubbs
07-02-2003, 09:15 PM
I've never heard of that hull, but I would try to buy something turnkey. Projects always cost more than you plan.

Moneypitt
07-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Looks to me like a BBC and a couple of full tanks would drop the ass end way down, I don't know how you would ever get the bow down! Don't spend your money for something RARE in your area, travel to an area that has alot of what you want. You are a buyer, so you want a buyers market, not a sellers market. Here in SoCal, that boat might bring $1000, but that ass heavy design would keep me away.......Moneypitt

hboldno7
07-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Like moneypt said, boat might bring $1000 here. shit, you could probobly find a good running jet that looks ten times that good for 2750 out here. Sounds like its time for a road trip :D

ROZ
07-02-2003, 11:04 PM
hboldno7:
Like moneypt said, boat might bring $1000 here. shit, you could probobly find a good running jet that looks ten times that good for 2750 out here. Sounds like its time for a road trip :D and bring the blonde in the background with ya wink :D
On a serious note...I didn't even know that Stuphen made a Jet. I thought most of their stuff was i/o and clamp-on. I know they currently construct a pretty good boat, but have no idea about their older boats. I'd give them a call to see if this thing was even designed to run a jet....
PM Jordy to see if he still has the Green machine Schiada. You may be able to get it shipped out there for about 1400 more than that. Add your motor and you'll have a pretty nice ride. I have no idea how much he wants for it though.....
[ July 03, 2003, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Moomawnster
07-03-2003, 01:55 AM
That pump is a J/E It will accept all bowl and droop mods ..... You should not feel any play with the pump together tho , I think that boat was well worn eek! Careful! TOO MUCH $$$$$
I also do not like the difference between the ride plate and "trim tabs" the plate is adjusted full down which means they had a trim problem , I don't know WHAT the tabs did ...... :rolleyes:
[ July 03, 2003, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]

roostwear
07-03-2003, 06:11 AM
That's an E pump alright, but take this into account. It has a C type bowl on it... you can't add a droop (without machining-$$$$). Adding a diverter is a good idea, but more $$$. You won't get the performance out of an E that you can with a C/G just because of the intake. Overall, if you're looking for performance, keep looking.

Shockwave
07-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Hey Man- I think I'd keep looking- I know what your thinking- "a few peices here an' there and she'll be ready-" Not. I bought a hull in about that same shape and have been working on it three years trying to get to the water. Depends alot on your budget. I'd say conservatively by the time you get an engine into shape, fabricate/buy your cooling system, exhaust system, have the pump re-worked, and get everything wired up- even if you do all this your self- your gonna put another 4-5 grand into it. There are a lot of parts you are gonna find missing- parts that you can't make- even in a machine shop. You can buy something nice and running for 5-8 grand and trust me you'll be ahead of the game. At the very least find one that all the parts are there for. I wish I had- and I like building stuff. And that hull is one I have never heard of. I'd stay away from that pump too. I'm not trying to knock your dick down, but I'm just telling you the reality of what your looking at. That Blond doesn't look real happy with it either- that's something to consider. That boat may be your dream ride- and if it is , I say go for it- me, I'd let it pass.
HB

TJS
07-03-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the honest replies people. I appreciate it. The person selling the boat was supposed to call me today with the answers on where the rest of the parts are, like mounts and adapter for flywheel and stuff. He did not call me back. So I will continue on looking. I just located a Tahiti (23ft). I have to go and look at it. I do not know if it is the daycruiser looking design which I do not care for. It says new berk (that is what they all say), no motor set up for BBC and it also says mint condition. It is 1.5 hours away so I will call the guy and see if he can email me some pics before I go look at it. It does not come with a trailer either (I can use my buddies if need be). They are asking 1300.00 for it.
Thanks again.
T.J.

comin' unscrewed
07-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Without a trailer, it's not worth the drive to look. Just my $.02

Moomawnster
07-04-2003, 02:03 AM
roostwear:
That's an E pump alright, but take this into account. It has a C type bowl on it... you can't add a droop (without machining-$$$$). Adding a diverter is a good idea, but more $$$. You won't get the performance out of an E that you can with a C/G just because of the intake. Overall, if you're looking for performance, keep looking.
.02 THE J/E pump will acccept all bowl and nozzel mods
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/139MVC-019S-med.JPG

roostwear
07-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Moomawnster:
roostwear:
.02 THE J/E pump will acccept all bowl and nozzel mods
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/139MVC-019S-med.JPG The split bowl you pictured isn't what he has.

Moomawnster
07-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Duh .. all I said was it will fit .. :rolleyes:
[ July 04, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]