PDA

View Full Version : Speed #'s

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Hello,
I am looking into the Ultra 22 Stealth with infomaniacs 660HP motor under the hatch. I was just wondering if I could get some speed estimates.
[ June 29, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

77charger
06-29-2003, 01:38 PM
under normal cond i would guess very near 70mph give or take a couple of mphunder optimal conditions maybe 75

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Well John West told me he had heard an honest 80. I'm just looking for a second opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong but the average 454 that the 20 something year olds in blythe are driving top out around the same speeds as I should expect? Also the average bowrider around there tops out at around 60 or 65 right? I'm just looking to be slightly above average in the bowrider department and right in the crowd with the smaller boats.

77charger
06-29-2003, 02:46 PM
froggy has a 21 ulta(model?)i am sure he has around 650-675hp his best speed has been around 76 mph.It takes alot of hp to move a jet fast.To be honest people i have talked to were told their boats would do say 60mph but the best they have gotten is 55.I would think that the hp you want will put you faster than most boats your size and hang with the the smaller jets.I was at twin palms memeorial weekend with a i/o 350 mag 21 ft eliminator open bow that will only do 58 on avg(60 at best)and was able to stay ahead of all the jetboats of equal size.the smaller ones killed me :confused:
I notice that in test evaluations mnftrs speeds are always estimated higher than the actual test shows :confused:

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 02:53 PM
77charger:
froggy has a 21 ulta(model?)i am sure he has around 650-675hp his best speed has been around 76 mph.It takes alot of hp to move a jet fast.To be honest people i have talked to were told their boats would do say 60mph but the best they have gotten is 55.I would think that the hp you want will put you faster than most boats your size and hang with the the smaller jets.I was at twin palms memeorial weekend with a i/o 350 mag 21 ft eliminator open bow that will only do 58 on avg(60 at best)and was able to stay ahead of all the jetboats of equal size.the smaller ones killed me :confused:
I notice that in test evaluations mnftrs speeds are always estimated higher than the actual test shows :confused: Well I've developed a little rule for figuring out actual #'s on boats 20-26 feet. Whatever ***boat gives you, subtract about 6 or so MPH because those #'s are when there's about 5 gallons of gas in the boats. Cougar boats seriously over estimates it's #'s so just assume that they had about 2 gallons of gas left and a skinny guy named Jose that they're helping get a green card driving the boat. Bottom line is that 75 MPH is relatively fast on the river down by Aha Quinn and Water Wheel. Hey man are you going down that way on the 4th? Look for me on the island that all the pontoons park at near Aha Quinn. Not the one in the bay, the one up the river a way.

Hallett19
06-29-2003, 03:04 PM
Froggy's boat with a new carb setup and pre-loader pump went 80.1 mph the other day, 2 half gallon tanks, only the driver, 4 heavy batteries under the back seat. TPC Racing did the carb and with a lowrise manifold with no riser had condensation on the runners after the run !!! I'm not sure about all the motor characteristics, but its a 509 Merlin and the pump is a Berk 12JG with an AA agressor (I think) droop snoot, ride plate, and diverter. I think with a similar pump setup you will be looking at a similar speed if not more, from my understanding the 21 XS is a much heavier boat than the 22 Stealth. Good luck, that is a beatiful boat !!

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Well this is my guess of how my boat will look. It's gonna be like John West's but in red as you can see. I'm not going to have the engine sticking out of the hatch and my trailer will be far more mild. I just edited Johns boat so I could show you guys and John what I want.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/711myboatontrailer.jpg

Phat_Kat
06-29-2003, 03:59 PM
here's johns so you can see the difference
http://www.ultraboats.com/instock_images/10.jpg